“Comfortable clean and friendly. ”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #26 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Canberra, Australia
“Comfortable clean and friendly. ”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at this Hilton. Room was clean and staff were friendly. Only downside to this hotel is the distance from Dublin centre, is a solid 20-25 minute walk j to town. However being on the red bus route means it's easy enough to get anywhere.
We had a good stay here and loved the view of the historic kilmainham prison, our primary reason for choosing this hotel.
Wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel stayed for 3 nights not far from the centre, only 5 mins walk to bus stop and 10 mins to metro. Located next to the jail, great buffet breakfast all varieties, friendly hotel staff and great swimming and leisure facilities. Would recommend

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Slightly disappointed with Hillton. I agree with last review, our room was too hot and stuffy, in fact most of the hotel was too hot. Room clean, bed comfy, bathroom clean, does the job for a night I suppose.
We paid extra for king room with a view on the 5th floor but view is totally spoilt by this weird wire netting thing around windows ( what was the designer thinking) don't understand why Hilton put that up, it spoils view so wish I had saved money and booked normal room.
Location good for concerts in Kilmainham but a bit of a trek into Dublin town.
Was expecting better I'm sorry to say.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Colchester, UK
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The rooms are certainly up to Hilton standards, notably the bed, and the staff were very friendly and helpful - albeit overwhelmed at times. But the carefully worded blurb on the hotel website avoids telling would-be visitors that you will be a long way from central Dublin i.e. O'Connell Street: "Hilton Dublin Kilmainham offers an ideal location opposite the Kilmainham Gaol, the Royal Hospital Kilmainham and the Irish Museum of Modern Art. The hotel is also within walking distance to Heuston Station and Phoenix Park." Certainly, the hotel is opposite Kilmainham Gaol, which is a great site to visit, a must-see. It's also next to the Royal Hospital Kilmainham but it will take you 20 minutes to walk to Heuston station, more to walk to Phoenix Park. (The nearest LUAS/tram stop is Suir Road (€2.10 from O’Connell Street), which is 10 minutes walk).

What we were not told was that there would be very loud gigs going on for 2 of the 3 nights of our stay, which apart from the noise (which did end at 11pm), the bar was inundated with gig-goers for certain parts of the evening. If you are desperate for a drink and don't want to fight your way to the bar, use room service.

Despite being away from Dublin centre, however, if you are looking for a tour of Dublin, both the Dublin sight seeing bus firms have a stop outside the Kilmainham Gaol, opposite the hotel, where you can buy a 2-day ticket. From Stop No. 16 outside the Gaol to Phoenix Park takes about 15 minutes on the bus, 30-40 minutes from the Gaol stop to the start of the tour on O'Connell Street, and about an hour to get to the Guinness Storehouse. Problem is that the buses only go clockwise. Make sure you get the live commentary with pretty good jokes.

If you are driving to the hotel, there is another problem that you may not anticipate. Surprisingly, the hotel has no drive-in forecourt where you would unload your luggage. Without instructions on the web site, we had to park in the taxi bay in front of the hotel, and seek advice inside. Fortunately, the more than helpful staff member told me to drive into the car park (to the left of the hotel) and unload at basement level. We did this only to find the helpful staff member waiting with a cart to take our luggage upstairs. Great service - but some warning of this procedure from the hotel management would have been helpful. Not needing the rental car in Dublin, we then returned it - but that's another story, where again our staff member was very helpful.

Yes, the breakfast coffee does tend to be a tad stewed and warm rather than hot but the buffet breakfast fare is good, especially the bacon. We did not try dinner. However, we did enjoy a couple of pints on the terrace in the sun before the decibel count got higher across in the hospital. Quite a few gig-goers stay at the hotel.

So, if you have plenty of time for leisurely tours of Dublin and you want a comfortable hotel, the Kilmainham Hilton is fine. If you are a Gold or Diamond HHonors member, however, there is no executive club. If we return to Dublin, we might want a more centrally located hotel, which would be more expensive. A taxi to the airport runs at about €35, to Fitzwilliam Square and the Georgia area about €12.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dungloe, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here last weekend (28th June ) and I have to say I was very disappointed as I laid a lot for the room and as it was a Hilton Hotel I expected a higher standard of service than I received. The hotel itself was clean and tidy but when we got up to our room it was so hot it was stifling. The air conditioning didn't work and I contacted reception who said they would sort it out. I waited for about 20 mins or so and I gave up and went down to reception. They said someone would be up now and so I went to the bar to get a drink to cool me down. When I went up to the room they had installed a portable air con unit which also didn't work as their was no ice water in it and it was so noisy you couldn't hear yourself think. I didn't have time to hang around as I was going out so I left the fan on hoping that it might make a difference by the time I got back bit it hadn't . As it was so noisy I had to turn it off to get to sleep and I kept waking up throughout the night as it was so hot. Then to cap it all when I did eventually get up in the morning there was no hot water in the tap at the sink, shower was fine though. Breakfast was not great as the team and coffee we got was cold and stewed .Like I say you come to expect a certain standard from a hotel group like Hilton and this is why I was so very disappointed. Would I stay here again, I don't think so.

Room Tip: If the air con is not working in your room demand another as you won't get any sleep if you don...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M
peoples republic of caledonia
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night to attend gig at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham.

Perfect location - 2 minute walk.

Bit disappointed that our room wasn't ready for more than an hour after published check-in time & the receptionist who said she would come & get us in the bar never appeared. Blaming a tour group arriving is not a credible excuse... You know they're coming & we've been booked for 6 months - just get the right number of rooms ready.

Room fine, if a bit warm - even after fiddling with aircon.

Breakfast ... A grand post-gig recovery meal.

Bottom line...
If we were to go to another gig at the same location, we'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you choose the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham for your hotel stay when attending the Royal Hospital. I do hope you enjoyed your gig. Please accept my apologies for the delay in check in. We had many arrivals in the hotel due the concerts and tried to have as many rooms ready for early check in,unfortunately as there were concerts each night we had some late checkouts which meant rooms were ready after three.

We do hope to welcome you back to hotel in the future.
Kind regards
Jennifer
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed twice in one week at the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham. The rooms were comfortable and in line with what I expect from a Hilton (Diamond). I had dinner one time in the restaurant with outdoor seating, several times had adult beverages in the bar and had breakfast in the restaurant buffet. Overall, an excellent experience with no complaints. It is located within walking distance of the Houston Train Station, which also has the tram/train station, across from an art gallery/park and across from the old Kilmainham prison. I had dinner across the street two nights and that is another review. No regrets and an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Wonderful evenings sitting on the balcony with an adult beverage (or...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear QuietmanTravels
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the terrace and restaurant. I was delighted to see you found our location so convenient.
You certainly had the weather to enjoy our balcony rooms.
We hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham.
Kind regards Jennifer