“Fantastic Break - Loved it - Like to return one day!”

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham
Ranked #20 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We chose this Hilton in Dublin as a last minute getaway for a New Year break with our three adult children and we certainly were not disappointed.

Staff are all very helpful and friendly, the hotel is clean, bright and modern with spacious, comfortable rooms. The restaurant is excellent.

If you are lucky, you may even get a good deal on the price! If you don't mind a long stroll into the city or catching public transport then the location is fine. If you want to be in the heart of the city then this Hotel is not for you. It is just opposite the old Kilmainham jail - a very interesting, must see tourist attraction -even if you are not that interested in history. The guide is excellent. Also, the guinness factory - no trip to Dublin would be complete without this treat and your free pint in the 360 degree bar on the top floor.

Hope to go back again soon. Go on, just do it, book it!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LibbiOxfordshire
Write a ReviewReviews (2,203)

Reviewed 17 December 2008

I debated quite a bit whether to stay at the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham or at another hotel closer to the city center. In the end I did both, and was so pleased with my stay at the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham that I returned to it for a couple of nights at the end of my vacation in Ireland.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Kilmainham Jail in the western part of Dublin, and is approximately 4-5 kilometers from the Dublin city center (O'Connell Street and Liffey River area). The Irish Museum of Modern Art is across the street, Memorial Park is nearby, and Heuston train station is a little over 1 kilometer away.

Public transport into the city center is easy and inexpensive. The 'Luas Rail' (or light rail tram) stop is about 4-5 city blocks away, and the city bus into the city center bus stop is a little over 1 block away (it travels down Old Kilmainham Road). In addition, the 'Dublin City Tour' buses stop in front of the hotel at the Kilmainham Jail.

The hotel and surrounding complex are relatively new (all built within the past couple of years), so it has that look of a 'modern' Hilton hotel (large rooms & bathrooms, earth tones, contemporary furniture, comfortable linens, etc.) and is very clean. It is not a very large hotel (maybe 150 rooms), and I found the front desk, bar, and restaurant staff all top notch and very helpful and friendly.

The morning breakfast was very good (typical hot/cold Irish breakfast) as well as the restaurant for dinner. There is a local pub and Italian restaurant across the street (I myself did not try them, but understand they are good). And there are also a couple of other restaurants that are a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel (they're located on Grattan Crescent). I don't remember the name, but the Italian restaurant was very good.

The hotel has a gym that is used by local residents. There are treadmills, stairmasters, and rowing machines, as well as a few free weights and various Nautilus machines and small aerobics room. As a hotel gym it was more than adequate, and has a small pool, jacuzzi, and wet/dry saunas. The pool is not very big though, and definitely not large enough in which to swim laps. But rather just for relaxing.

I found Dublin an expensive city, and the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham was an excellent value. For me, it was worth the extra effort to get to for the extra space, comfort, and quiet for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank beechmi
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I have been to Dublin a few Times and I stayed in the last 3 at the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham. I call the in house reservation, very friendly people and i always get better deal. Front office staff is very friendly and helpfull, they love to chat and help me and my family. The room are nice and clean. I like this hotel for the position as we can walk to the Phenix Park, the Modern art museum is near, Kilmainham goal is just in front of the hotel. We can take buses or walk to Heuston station in a few minutes. The taxi is just €7 to €10 one way. It is very quiet location in the evening so we don't hear the noise from the weekend people on the street. We like to stay here as we go everytime at the Gunnies Store house, just a few minutes walking distance. Dinner is good and the price is resonable. Me and my family we love the Breakfast as every Hilton, full Irish and continental, and we can eat as much as we want. The great thing is the bar, on Weekend there is live music so we like to sit and enjoy a few drinks. I live in spain and i like to visit dublin often, I advice everyone to visit this great city. I hear they have a special price from €49 per person sharing from June to december. Get the opportunity!! call them and make a wonderfull holiday to ireland.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank antonio90
Reviewed 9 December 2008

Stayed here in Nov 08, Fri to Sunday Supervalu break, so only cost 219 euro for 2 adults sharing, b&b with one evening meal. Can only write two positives on this property - it's proximity to the N7 and also to the Zoo! Reception staff were slightly friendly, but didnt over-do it. The room was nice enough, but the shaving mirror came off in my hand and smashed everywhere. Breakfast was really 'only' ok, certainly not worth the 19.95 that people who booked room-only, or who seemed to be studying nearby and popped in for food first, were paying. The evening meal, which was included in our package was probably the biggest let-down; We didn't order starters, as we were late enough getting to the restaurant, and ordered a simple enough main course and a plate of plain pasta for a fussy 4-year old. We were left waiting 45 minutes for this simple order and to be honest, it was woeful. The chicken dish was over-cooked to the point of being inedible and was accompanied by what i'm sure were frozen 'cheap' big fries, not suitable at all for the dish in question.The pasta was kindly completely covered in parsley; not quite fitting the 'plain' that had been ordered and our little girl wouldn't touch it. All in all the meal was very disappointing and we left without dessert or tea or coffee. I did voice my disappointment to the maitre d' who was quite nice about it and offered to give the meal free of charge, but i pointed out it was an all-in package. They did have the common sense not to charge for the childs dinner i'm glad to say.

I don't usually write negative reviews, i do like to give the hotels we visit the benefit of doubt. However i was very disappointed with our visit to this hotel. We had stayed in the Clarion in Liffey Valley some time previously, and found that much more appealing, although not as well geographically placed. I think the Hilton group are being a bit optimistic placing this hotel in the 4 -star category.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank TuttiFrutti8
Reviewed 8 December 2008

we wanted to stay in Dublin for the night inexpensively, and without fuss. The reception was lovely, the room was nice, we dropped our bags and headed out for the night. On returning we found that the room was quite noisy, we'd asked to be away from traffic, but we could hear it clearly, then we also noticed that the mini bar was a noisy humming fridge, and the extractor in the bathroom gave off the most irritation drone, which we waited to shut off, but it never happened. We got the night manager up to the room, he was prompt and helpful, but unable to do anything. I managed to get the fridge off eventually and by about 5am tiredness blocked out the drone from the extractor and we had a few fitful hours sleep before the traffic started.
I've noticed in the past, the constant noise from ventilation in otherwise nice hotels, this seems to be acceptable, but we're paying to sleep in a place and feel we are entitled to peace and quiet.
The next morning the reception basically dismissed us and said they hadn't got any request from us with the booking for quiet. I think in future we'll stick with Jurys.
Hilton is nice, clean, well placed and inexpensive, but they don't seem to care that noise can really be a pain, stay if you will, but bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank albumen
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Over the last six months I have spent approx. 6 nights in this Hotel. All of these stays were business related. I found the Hotel staff to be friendly, polite and helpful. The food and prices are very good. Parking is available, and whilst there isn't a swimming pool there is an excellent Hydro spa/pool.
The only disadvantage to the Hotel is it's location. It is not in walking distance of the city center.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank FilCork
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and were very impressed with by the overall standards.The staff were very friendly and helpful,and the rooms very modern and clean.
We were attending a concert just across the road at the Museum Of Modern Art,and for this the location was excellent.The hotel is also just across the road from the famous Gaol,to which a trip is thoroughly recommended.
Had we been staying specifically for a taste of Dublin City Centre life we would have chosen a more centrally located hotel,the only "problem" that we had was that a taxi ride is neccessary for travelling to and from the city centre.
For our purpose however,fantastic,and a hotel that we would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple