“Details matter”

Ranked #4 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Details matter”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

In general, given that Donnybrook Hall is not too far from downtown Dublin, it’s a fairly nice place to stay. However, details matter. My room (#4) was on the 1st floor just above the street entrance. It was good and enjoyable, with a private bathroom outside. But my mom’s room (#8) on the ground floor had quite a strange configuration and was very small. It had a glass door facing the courtyard passage and no windows (though Terry claimed the opposite, probably calling the door itself a window?). Bed frame was higher than the mattress at some points, hence a bit uncomfortable sleep. Besides, it was quite cold there. My conclusion is that this room was definitely overpriced (Euro 65 per night).

On a positive side, I would note interesting breakfast options (like black pudding omelette), ease of getting to the Dublin central districts (bus stops nearby and buses running frequently) and nice area around.

Room Tip: I do not recommend room #8 (see the review).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirill_Muradov
2784, Front Office Manager at Donnybrook Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hi Kirill,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review on Donnybrook Hall. All feedback is welcome to us and gives us a chance to take note of our guests views. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked your room in house. Breakfast is an important part of what we offer at Donnybrook Hall so knowing that you both were satisfied with our selection means alot to us. Room 8 out back is a single en suite room overlooking our garden area/conservatory, it has a large patio door to open onto the garden and a pane of glass on either side of the door which is indeed a window, this may have been overlooked and it would have been our pleasure to show your mother this should it have been brought to our attention. Should you decide on a return trip to Dublin we would love to have you stay here with us again and would be delighted to look after you.

Best wishes to you both

Debbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We had such a wonderful stay here for 3 nights in November at the start of our Ireland trip. Terry and his team were amazing and made us feel right at home, giving us lots of travel advise , booking cabs and those delicious breakfasts! The guest house is located just off a main road with a selection of shops (most notably a Tesco on the corner), pubs, resturants, phamacy and bus stops into the city centre (only €2.15 one-way, exact change needed). Access to the motorway is close-by, which was great for our day trip into the Wicklow Mountains, and a taxi back from the City Centre after hours, was a very resonable €10. Parking was also available. Our room was huge, and super comfortable and cleaned daily. Great value for money and such a personal service, I would highly recommend a stay here!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christi C
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I traveled to Dublin and London with my boyfriend in May 2013. We stayed at Donnybrook Hall for 3 nights and it was EXCELLENT! Our flight arrived really early (before check-in time), but we emailed Terry in advance to make arrangements for dropping our bags off. The hotel was super easy to find. We showed up as soon as they opened, and Terry greeted us with orange juice and homemade Irish soda bread. Terry explained where all of the best attractions were located, how to get around, and most importantly: how to get back to the hotel! This was extremely helpful for us as this was our first time in Ireland. The room was clean, warm, inviting, and comfortable. Also, the hotel is located in a really nice part of Dublin and is about a 2-3 minute walk from a bus stop on a main route that gets you into town in < 10 minutes (btw: bus is the best way to travel in Dublin...no need for a rental car!).

I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dublin. Also - for anyone planning to stay at Donnybrook Hall or anywhere in Dublin really, I recommend purchasing an AirCoach ticket. The AirCoach bus took us from the airport to a bus stop close to Donnybrook Hall. There really is no need for a car Dublin.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mallory M
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Donnybrook hall really blew us away, this place is seriously better than most hotels. The level of customer care is amazing, they all made us feel so welcome. We arrived late in the evening and Debbie gave us her mobile number to ring when we arrived. So lovely and friendly.

The place is spotless, our room was really spacious with 2 double beds, tv, wifi and ensuite. Could not fault it at all. Warm, cosy, comfortable and quite.
Well rested when we woke up and went down for a delicious breakfast.

A really beautiful spot, excellent value and highly recommend to all.
Keep up the good work

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ladyop
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I spent some of my holiday time travelling for the first time in Ireland back in August. During the trip I had a chance to stay in a few different places one of which was Donnybrook Hall where I was for one night. Even though I have only now found time to share my experience of what it was like there when quite some time has passed since, I fondly remember how friendly, helpful and polite the staff were, how clean, tidy and well-kept the premises were and the delicious breakfast that seemed more like having dessert. I was really happy with my room which had everything I needed and some good interior design to top it up. There I had a peaceful sleep before an early morning journey towards the airport. As for complaints, I cannot recall anything I did not like and so I can say I do not have any. All in all, I was impressed with the high quality of service and I would not have any doubt about choosing Donnybrook Hall as my preferred accommodation on any future visits to Dublin.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Augustinas G
2784, Front Office Manager at Donnybrook Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi AugustinasG,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you have such fond memories of your stay here with us and that we were able to be apart of making your trip to Ireland so enjoyable. We are especially glad that you appreciated our hospitality and customer service as it if very important to us that our guests leave here feeling like they have enjoyed all of our personal touches. We would love to have you stay with us again should you decide on a return trip.

Warm wishes

Debbie
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This place is superbly awesome. Terry takes care of his guest very well. The place is extremely clean. The breakfast is great. The value is so tremendous that I really hope they are making some money because I want them to stay open for my next trip!!! It's just so unbelievably good.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank VinceTTH
donnybrookhall, Front Office Manager at Donnybrook Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi Vince,

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a lovely review about Donnybrook Hall on Trip Advisor. We are extremely happy that you have rated us the best place you have ever stayed in Dublin and would love for you to come back and stay again should you return to Dublin. I am so glad that you have rated us so highly on each score and especially glad that you enjoyed our hospitality as it is very important to us that our guests have a home from home experience with us.

Warm wishes and may we meet again.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as my wife was running the Dublin marathon.
The room was lovely, clean and warm but what made the stay was the fantastic staff.
Terry, Eric and Martina were so helpful and couldn't do enough for us.
We are due to go back to Dublin again soon and will certainly try to stay here again.
Thanks again x

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank bippi7
Hi Bippi7,

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. Nothing makes us happier than to know we have made our guests stay so enjoyable. Yourself and your wife are more than welcome to stay with us anytime you make a return trip to Dublin, just give us a call and we will be sure to look after you.

Warm wishes from all the staff at Donnybrook Hall