“Awful STAY AWAY Worst EVER”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Awful STAY AWAY Worst EVER”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I have just stayed in your hotel 9-10 Dec I stayed in room 113

Firstly there was no hot water in the room I rang the front desk at 9pm to be told that a plumber was coming to fix it at 11pm

but the following morning at 7am there was still no hot water! This is completely unsatisfactory and unacceptable I couldnt even have a shower there

The room was also filthy which I have taken pictures of and freezing the walls are very thin and you can even hear conversations going on in other rooms!
NEVER again would I stay there not even if it was for free WORST EVER!!!!!
Its also miles away from Dublin airport 15euro EACH WAY in a taxi!
The manager was unavailable to talk to!!!

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank GemmaMc_46

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have stayed here about 3 times now and each time I have had no problems. Some people may be put off by the location but it has been pleasant for me on each visit. It isn't situated too far from the city, there are a couple of bus routes passing the door of the hotel and taxis don't cost too much. It is also close to the airport if needed.
This hotel is great value, the rooms are very clean and spacious and the beds are comfortable. The staff are friendly and always willing to help. Would stay here many more times

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear Andrea,

Thank you for your gracious comments. Both the team and I strive to ensure that we meet and exceed our guests expectations. It is encouraging to read that we have delivered on our promise of value, comfort and customer care on each of your visits.

We look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the near future.

Florence,Italy
Reviewed 11 November 2012

All things considered, I had a great stay at this hotel and I'll be happy to explain in details why:

1.Location
Okay, Ballymun is not temple bar and it doesn't take a lot of time to realize it.Technically speaking this brand-new (I think 2006 or so) budget hotel is located in a residential area not far from Dublin airport.
Before frowning about the area for what you may have heard from Dubliners let me tell you that I felt way safer here than in the over-touristy, over-exploited, over-noisy (over-drunk?) city centre.Bus #13 will connect you to Dame street every 15 minutes (30' after 7pm) for a quick 20 minutes' ride.Late at night the taxi ride back to the hotel will cost you less than €15 and take just 10 minutes or about.You have plenty of supermarkets surrounding the hotel where to buy anything you need.

Concept.
The concept of this Irish hotel chain is clearly budget-oriented.This means that you'll always find very competitive basic rates to which you'll have to add little extras like wi-fi, toiletries, breakfast and alike, always very reasonably priced.This is a no-frill type of accomodation so don't expect slippers, bathrobe, minibar and safe.Toiletries are to be bought at the superstore opposite the hotel or at vending machines conveniently placed on every floor.Same goes for whatever you'd like to find in a mini-bar.If that's ok for you the rest may pleasantly exceed your expectations.

Check-in.

Smooth and rapid, thanks to the gracious receptionist who made her best to meet and respond exhaustively to any of my requests.Availability permitting, you may get a late check-out for a very little extra.Reception is open 24/7.

Room.

This was definitely a pleasant surprise.On the top floors rooms are very spacious (some 35-40 sqm), quiet and clean.The bathroom may compete with decent 4 star hotels that I've visited in terms of space, materials and cleanliness.Large closets, iron + ironing board and the usual tea&coffee facilities are available.Bed is rather large, almost a king size, sufficently comfortable and firm.Linen are fresh and crisp and changed daily.Temperature control is easy to manage and will make sure that you stay warm and dry at all times (Never take that for granted in Irish hotels).Armchairs and table, a balcony overviewing the square (mind the creaky door window) and a generously sized desk will complete the picture.
I never used the flat screen tv during my stay as I prefered to take advantage of the remarkably fast and reliable internet connection (€5 every 24 hrs).There's a free underground parking for longer stays and an international restaurant open all week.Interiors are simple yet warm and most definitely create a cosy , almost homey ambiance.Very quiet.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are very spacious, quiet and offer a balcony with a view .
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Luigivacanze
George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Luigi,

Many thanks for your constructive and detailed review. I think your comments speak volumes of what we are striving to achieve in challenging times; We pride ourselves in offering a consistent product, value for money and more importantly comfort and quality to our valued customers.

We always listen to the customer and try at all times to exceed their expectations. It is rewarding to learn that we are meeting and exceeding such expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We arrive before to spend a day in Dublin before flying back to Canada, as this hotel was near the aiport and not too far from the city center 7 or so miles we decided to take a chance.
The area the hotel is in is not that nice HOWEVER they do have security camera's EVERYWHERE, the enterance is clean and well maintained. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room...............BASIC very basic...2 small towels, a bed, a TV table and two chairs...and a coffee pot and sachet of coffee that was all (OK so there was a hairdryer) but took forever to find it hiden in a draw. There was no shampoo or cleaning products soap but as I said the room was clean. The bed well not big and comfy thats for sure. There is a resturant and also a bar attached (very expensive) maybe they knew we were tourists but it was a bit over the top -there are internet facilities that you pay for by the minute...a very off thing I didn't really like if you needed the washroom you had to go downstairs to the car park floor and use your room key to get in - again very clean but would have prefered one on the main floor of the hotel. We were also suprised at the cost, it jumped from when we called to when we arrived??? not sure what that was about, we didn't want to spend more time looking for another place as we weanted to tour Dublin.............ohhhhhh the traffic was painful took over an hour. Would not stay for longer than one night however it was OK and clean which is important I guess

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie778
Dear Rosie,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay.

I am happy to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you found our standards of cleanliness very good indeed and our staff helpful and friendly.

I was surprised to read that you found some of our products and facilities expensive to include restaurant, bar and WiFi prices. The restaurant and bar is renowned for quality and competitive pricing; for example, breakfast is from €4.00 and our evening menu includes an 8oz Sirloin steak with all the trimmings for less than €13.00. 24 hours WiFi is available for €5.00.

Once again, thank you for your comments and i trust you have a pleasurable flight back to Canada.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed here for one Saturday night in November 2012 before our flight back home on Sunday morning. It's was ok for one night but wouldn't be keen to make it a base for a visit. The room was very,very basic but was clean. No shampoo etc., only one little tiny bar of soap and only a couple of small towels. It's in a rough area of town so don't go walking around after dark. The tv had only 8 channels with no satellite or movie menus. It did have a hair dryer hidden away and a kettle with enough to make 2 cups of coffee. It has underground protected parking which is a bonus in this area. The restaurant is so so and does not open on Sunday morning....with nothing else close by....so much for a breakfast before an 11 am flight. It does have a sports bar that I found expensive. Cost $30.00 cdn for two doubles. We chose this location on our way down from Northern Ireland when we stopped for a coffee at a place that had pay per minute internet. It was shown to be 45 Euros per night. When we showed up we were charged 69 euros. When I asked about this we were told that we had to book online to get that price. I said I would never use my credit card on one of those pay per minute things as they are not secure. The bed was average, no pillow tops here. No alarm clock or radio either. Next time I will go to a B&B to get a few comforts.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments in relation to your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful facilities and found everything to your satisfaction. Indeed we are a superb location to Croke Park, city centre and the airport.

We look forward to welcoming you back again shortly... before the next 'All-Ireland', hopefully!

Glencolmcille, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were delighted to get such a close location to Croke Park, after a last-minute booking for the All Ireland Football Final! The atmosphere in the hotel was great, and the staff were really helpful. The room was a good size, spotless, and well ventilated. Nothing fancy about - Travelodge - it does what it says on the tin. Overall a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Really nice hotel, close to Dublin airport and at very reasonable price (for a triple room we payed 45 euros per night). Nice restaurant (not much food to choose from though). What we didn't like was that there was no shower gel or shampoo provided in the room (receptionist offered another little bar of soap...). Very spacious and clean room, safe car par. Would deffinately recomend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Bring shampoo with you :)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Ladybug82_ie,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found us reasonably priced, spacious bedrooms, clean and comfortable.

I am glad that you will be recommending us to friends and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

George O'Gara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!