“acceptable hotel with” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #107 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Manchester
“acceptable hotel with”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

For me it was a poor value for your money, regardless of what the web site advises I wouldn’t recommend this place, mainly because of the poorly trained hotel staff. Consequently, it takes 45 minutes by bus to go to the city centre (so it is not useful to someone who plans to go sightseeing) and it takes 15 minutes by taxi from the airport. So its location simply doesn’t make sense at least to me... I don’t even know why is it called Travelodge Dublin Airport... Just think twice before you decide to book this particular place...

Having said that one has to admit that the room I stayed in was very clean and comfortable, and offered very good facilities

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank P P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my first trip to Ireland and I arrived with five others as part of a stag weekend. I was under the impression with the name of the hotel "Travelodge Dublin Airport" that this would be perhaps a short walk from the arrivals to the hotel. This was probably more my naivety and for not researching it more, however in the end it was only a fifteen minute taxi ride. Due to there being six of us, we had to take two taxi's (no mini bus was available) which we didn't mind, however the taxi fares were pretty steep, €20 for the privilege. However when leaving the hotel to go back to the airport, there was a shuttle service for €3 each which was superb.

The hotel from the outside looked presentable but the area it was in was kind of a mix of newish and old buildings that appeared empty and fairly run down. The receptionist was very polite and courteous, we were early for our check in and we were able to keep our bags in the room behind the desk which was a great help. The room itself consisted of a double and single bed (we were sharing 2 per room), however not long after I learned that the room looked rather tired. Coffee marks on the desk, stains on the carpets and upon inspecting the kettle to make a brew, I was put off by the dirt. To top it off, the inside door handle was missing off of the main hotel room door!! Just a spindle and a screw remained. I alerted staff at reception of this and they didn't seem at all bothered. Another room friends were staying in were missing their TV remote,

Despite this, it wouldn't put me off staying at a Travelodge again (I have stayed at some very nice ones in the past) but perhaps if returning to Dublin, I would give this particular one a miss. The price was very cheap and it was only a place to put our heads down, but if it were more costly or I had come for a relaxing longer stay with my girlfriend, I would have been very disappointed. It was also a bit far out from Dublin town centre too, about 25 mins on the public bus. The buses are very frequent but only accept coins for travel. We bought a day card from the shop opposite the hotel for €7 to use all day and once we figured out what bus we needed, it was all ok.

Room Tip: Just a lucky dip to which room you get to be honest. For the price can't be too funny.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel excellent once you find it! Staff helpful and professional. I used AA Route Finder but still had difficulty locating the Hotel - perhaps it would be wise to contact the hotel for directions before get caught in traffic and end up "going round in circles"

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

An okay hotel, however on arrival we were all pretty frightened at the amount of hoodlems running around, people screaming, groups fighting etc. fair enough what can you expect from a low-priced hotel though, at check-in we had to wait quite a while and looking behind the receptionist at one point saw a man with his hood up running with a knife in his hand haha. Decent enough hotel though if you're within a tight budget as we were. The room was basic but clean, no complaints there. There was also a bus stop not too far away which connected you directly to the town/airport which was very handy. However did not feel safe at all the duration of the 2 nights I was there, not the hotel's fault though I suppose.

Room Tip: Our room was a good few floors up which was decent and blocked out the noise of the road etc at nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PeterR365
ennis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

i had no problem with the hotel itself, but i got a taxi from the airport and asked him to drop me at the Travelodge and showed him which one i booked. he brought me to the other one which resulted in me paying for a taxi twice to get from the airport

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank hafid l
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Recently stayed here after running into trouble with our flights out of Dublin. We stayed 2 nights which I booked last minute and for a good rate. We jumped in a taxi from the airport and heading off to the Travellodge at the airport. Only a ten minutes drive, nice and close. Didn't find out unti after the taxi left that there are actually 2 Travellodges near the airport. Caught another taxi to the other Travellodge. Didn't realised until we arrived that it was in Ballymun. Did we feel safe - not at all.

Rooms are clean and nothing special. Not even a bar fridge in the room. There are a few places nearby to walk to for groceries etc but don't tempt this late at night. Daytime and the place looks like a dump outside. Our room overlooked a courtyard with rubbish flying around. Food in the restaurant was okay. Nothing healthy on the meny for offer but none the less - decent. Breakfast, probably not worth your money, unless you course you are too scared to walk outside to find something else.

Vlaue for money - yes.
Will be stay here again - no.

Pay the extra and stay somewhere else like the Raddison.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natasha C
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Would not recommend would have preferred to have layer the extra and used airport north or even one of the other hotels closer to airport if I'd known surrounding area was going to be such a dump.Room was clean and tidy though. Staff were good, bar a bit rough seemed to be used by locals as their bar as well as residents. With this in mind room was too expensive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

George O, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us.

I was happy to read that you found our standard of accommodation and level of service in the hotel to your satisfaction. It is unfortunate that other aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction.

We pride ourselves in providing an excellent product at an affordable competitive price. Please contact me direct at the hotel on your next visit to Dublin and I will certainly endeavour to offer the best room rate I possibly can.

Kind regards,

George O'Gara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Metro Hotel Dublin Airport
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport
Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel
Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!