“Poor quality Travelodge”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #105 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The room and staff were fine, however the balcony outside the room was covered with cigarette butts. The hotel is in a sketchy area of Dublin. One would certainly not want to be out walking around after dark. No shampoo in the room - one small piece of soap and only two smallish towels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank N0rtherner2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I wish I had read the reviews before booking. We are currently staying in the hotel, and I must agree that this place is a dive. Rooms aren't great, bed is worn out, no outside phone, wifi is €5 per device per day, breakfast is €9 per person if you want it. There aren't shops or pubs across the street. They are a ten minute walk at least. Shuttle to the airport is €3 per person. I agree with the other posters that there are many shady characters (including the hotel evening manager--Russian or Czech mafia?) and prostitutes running around the place at night. I also believe the recommending posts are made by the staff; I do not see any of the positives that I read about in the reviews.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank harbourp
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is quite simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life.

I was in Dublin for a work trip and on arrival at reception myself and my colleagues were promptly checked in. I was given my room key and went up the lift to my room. The key didn't work so I went down and got it activated properly. When I went back up to the room, the room either hadn't been made up or someone was still in it. Embarrassingly I went down to reception and explained the situation and I was kindly given another room.

This room was like a furnace. The temperature control on the radiator was broken and there was no way in switching it off or turning it down - it was quite simply unbearable. I phoned down to reception and explained the situation and the lady assured me that she would send someone up so I went for dinner with my colleagues in the restaurant downstairs.

The food wasn't good and there was no beer on tap. The waiter that served us was very good and did well to control other customers frustrations in regards to food.

I went back up to the room after our meal and the heater was not fixed. I once again phoned down to reception and I asked to move room - unfortunately there were no other rooms available and it was too late in the day to find somewhere else.

My colleagues had similar experiences in regards to their stay but it wouldn't be fair for me to list their grievances.

We checked out in the morning and got our money refunded for the second night of our stay which we had no intention of using. We found accommodation elsewhere.

The staff were friendly and did the best they could with the tools they had so to speak. The hotel needs major investment and the head of Travelodge should do what he/she can to improve this hotel. Normally this is a brand you could trust but this hotel lets the chain down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Cactus_1982
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We asked for a no. Smoking room and were given one (or it said so on the door anyway!). As soon as we opened the door the stench of smoke wafted out. We found cigarette butts i. The window sill. I immediately returned to reception who were very helpful and provided another room. Our second room wasn't much better - no butts in the sill but ashes all over it. The area itself seems a little dicey. There are lots of security doors in place in the hotel, which is good I guess, but it does make you wonder about the area. Bathroom was in pretty rough shape. It's still about a 10 - 15 minute drive to the airport.

1  Thank jrts
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here the night before I flew out to Barcelona with my two daughters, the reception staff were lovely, parking for the whole week was only €21 which is great and the shuttle bus from the hotel only costs €3 per adult with children free, my morning call was on time and the staff at 4.30 am were more than helpful with weighing our bags for our Ryanair flight. The room was clean and comfortable and had all we needed for a comfortable sleep. The area is a little on the rough looking but we didnt have any problems. IKea is just across the road which is great if you want to eat on a budget. The hotel did not have food facilities it looked as if the cafe in reception is closed but couldnt complain about the value for money was just great.

Room Tip: Visit the new Ikea shop even for a browse it is just lovely and if you have kids they have a free cr...
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A pleasant stay here. Rachael on the front desk was a little gem with our group and went out of her way to ensure we enjoyed our stay in Dublin. As did Shaun who drove the courtesy bus from the airport. There were marks on carpets but as this hotel is used by a lot of stag and hen parties then I would expect this. But the hotel overall was clean and tidy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Good location from Dublin Airport and City Centre, since public transport is widely available from and to this hotel. We had a double room, which was clean and comfortable, no issues with non-uk plugs, we didn't have much electronics with us anyway. Staff was very approachable, breakfast meal was good. The only issue I had was restaurant staff - lady didn't smile once, hardly spoken, same with the gentleman. We were told to 'help ourselves' but did not have any plates to actually eat, had to ask for them.So smile! You are the first people your guests see in the morning and instead of a healthy attitude they see blank faces! Other than that - everything was great. We stayed only one night, and it was pleasant experience. Would come back again.

Room Tip: Second floor, even numbers.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 152 in Dublin
Tara Towers Hotel
#103 of 152 in Dublin
Dublin Skylon Hotel
#38 of 152 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!