“Noisy place, poor features”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Aachen, Germany
“Noisy place, poor features”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Attending an international choir meeting I stayed at the Travellodge in Ballymun, Dublin in June 2014. This was one of the poorest places I have been staying overnight. Very noisy place, inside and outside, old and ugly carpets. The bed was okay but everything else made it an unpleasant place. I sorry to say so, but I cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The neighborhood seemed sketchy while we were driving in, but we were put at ease upon entering the hotel! A bit of a bummer to be charged for wifi, but having a teapot in the room and plenty of storage was lovely. We didn't have the breakfast, but it looked like there was a great eating space in the lobby! The parking lot is beneath the hotel and you have to check in before you can park - easy to do.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

As we were expecting nothing fancy for our cheap triple room we were happy with our stay at the travelodge. Had plenty of free underground parking which was perfect for us as we had a hire car to drive around Ireland. Across the road from the hotel was a bus stop that took us directly to Dublin City centre. Kind staff were happy to help with all enquiries.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bethany C
Plano
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My first sign should have been the first 5 minutes I got there.

I booked the room online from a discount website and though its called "Travelodge" it's not associated with the Travelodge in the US! I should have researched that more...

I booked a full size bed with a twin. When we checked in they ran my CC and charged the room $103 on my credit card instead of just a hold... ok.

Once we got to the room, the lights would not work. You have to put the room key in a slot to make the lights able to turn on- so the front desk re-coded the room keys twice before he finally said he would go upstairs to look at it. Yep, doesn't work. He told us to stay in the room and he would go down to talk to his manager about getting us in a different room. 10 minutes later we hadn't heard from him. I call to the front desk and he tells me he's "busy" and would get to my situation in about 30 minutes. REALLY!?! I told him it was 10pm, we had a flight the next morning and we needed to go to sleep. I went down stairs and stood in line to get the issue resolved. While standing there, there is a group of 5 men who were complaining that the rooms they booked were not correct either and the "manager" at the front desk was very snippy telling them there was nothing she could do because there were not any rooms available like they had booked. When I got to the front, the "manager" lady now tells me there are no more rooms available like mine. just a room with 2 twin beds. I say "ok" can I get a credit for the difference in the room. She says "no, that room is the same price" I had to explain to her that i get it- but it's not the room that I booked. She tells me she would have the manager call me tomorrow (thought she was the manager??) so we get new keys to the twin room.

Upon entering room 129 it REEKS of smoke and mildew. There is no A/C, so you have to open the window for air. That's ok, except it's now 10:30pm and there are people yelling on the streets. Not a chance of getting sleep and at this point I would rather pay $50 extra a room to stay somewhere that I can get a room I want, that doesn't smell, has good customer service and I can actually SLEEP in.

I go downstairs to tell them I am not staying and need a refund. Surprise! they can't do that. the "manager" will have to call me tomorrow to take care of it. THEN! She offers to look at a complairable room like my original one if I stay there. Thought there weren't any rooms available earlier?? I tell her I'm over it at this point. I just want to leave. I paid an extra $25 for a taxi and about $60 more for a room at a major hotel chain down the street and had a great night.

I STILL have not heard from a manager or been given any kind of refund for my $103 I was charged for the night stay.

I value recommendations on TripAdvisor and honestly take them highly into consideration when booking a room.... I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. From the customer service, to the state of the hotel to not getting a response from Management- I would give it a 0 star if possible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Priscilla K

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Haliburton, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The room and staff were fine, however the balcony outside the room was covered with cigarette butts. The hotel is in a sketchy area of Dublin. One would certainly not want to be out walking around after dark. No shampoo in the room - one small piece of soap and only two smallish towels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank N0rtherner2
clay city, indiana
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I wish I had read the reviews before booking. We are currently staying in the hotel, and I must agree that this place is a dive. Rooms aren't great, bed is worn out, no outside phone, wifi is €5 per device per day, breakfast is €9 per person if you want it. There aren't shops or pubs across the street. They are a ten minute walk at least. Shuttle to the airport is €3 per person. I agree with the other posters that there are many shady characters (including the hotel evening manager--Russian or Czech mafia?) and prostitutes running around the place at night. I also believe the recommending posts are made by the staff; I do not see any of the positives that I read about in the reviews.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank harbourp
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is quite simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life.

I was in Dublin for a work trip and on arrival at reception myself and my colleagues were promptly checked in. I was given my room key and went up the lift to my room. The key didn't work so I went down and got it activated properly. When I went back up to the room, the room either hadn't been made up or someone was still in it. Embarrassingly I went down to reception and explained the situation and I was kindly given another room.

This room was like a furnace. The temperature control on the radiator was broken and there was no way in switching it off or turning it down - it was quite simply unbearable. I phoned down to reception and explained the situation and the lady assured me that she would send someone up so I went for dinner with my colleagues in the restaurant downstairs.

The food wasn't good and there was no beer on tap. The waiter that served us was very good and did well to control other customers frustrations in regards to food.

I went back up to the room after our meal and the heater was not fixed. I once again phoned down to reception and I asked to move room - unfortunately there were no other rooms available and it was too late in the day to find somewhere else.

My colleagues had similar experiences in regards to their stay but it wouldn't be fair for me to list their grievances.

We checked out in the morning and got our money refunded for the second night of our stay which we had no intention of using. We found accommodation elsewhere.

The staff were friendly and did the best they could with the tools they had so to speak. The hotel needs major investment and the head of Travelodge should do what he/she can to improve this hotel. Normally this is a brand you could trust but this hotel lets the chain down.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Cactus_1982
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#66 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!