“DONT STAY HERE”

Ranked #106 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“DONT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2010

i have been working in the dublin area and chose to stay at the nearest travelodge which was unfortunatly this one, after working a night shift and finishing around 4.30 am me and my workmates returned to the hotel, some local kids were hanging around the hotel and while trying to gain access to the hotel one of my workmates was approached by 3 of these youths and although the people on the reception desk could see what was happening they would not open the door and my workmate was mugged in full view of the hotel staff. i cancelled my booking the next day and moved to a hotel elsewhere, DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank IanSteders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

we stayed at this travelodge for 2 nights whilst we visited dublin city and wicklow mountains it was situated ideally for the main motorway and only 10 mins away from city centre which was easy to get to as the bus stop was outside the hotel, the parking and hotel was really secure and strict on security, the surrounding area is a bit ruff we could but we could see the regeneration project was coming on nicely end even though we were woken by police cars in the area both nights there was never any worry to ourselves by the locals or the area, we would stay at this hotel again as it was central without being in dublin centre.... we ate in the restaurant one night and the food was very nice we had no complaints about the hotel the staff were great and very helpful, the only complaint was the price of the lager 12 euro for 2 pints in the centre (do they think people are made of money) stick to the guiness!! and watch out if you go by ferry as we returned to the wrong ferry port and missed our ferry no one told us there was 2 ferry ports in dublin, would def stop in hotel again.........

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davejanice
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

We stayed here the Friday night before we left Ireland. We had spent the previous weekend in Dublin, and then drove around the west and north during the week. We arrived late-ish in the evening, around 9:30 pm, by car from Belfast. I first drove past the hotel (the booking.com info didn't have a number, just a street), and ended up going down the entire street, which was a somewhat scary experience. As other reviewers have noted, I suspect most of the people living in this area are fine, but there were enough scary-looking people to worry me, given it was dark, and I wasn't familiar with the place.

When we checked in, we were asked if we had a car. I said we had parked in front of the hotel (I didn't see a hotel carpark), and the receptionist recommended that I move the car into the secure carpark ASAP. The carpark was around the back, and was indeed secure.

Once the scariness of the area passed (honestly, if I hadn't been incredibly tired, I probably wouldn't have been scared), the hotel itself was fine. It was a Travelodge, so I wasn't expecting anything fancy. The quirks of the room were that we couldn't shut our window properly (we could close it, but the latch stopped it closing fully), so there was a bit of a draft. We overcame this by turning the heat all the way up, so the room wasn't too cold during the night.

The other quirk was that we had an accessible bathroom. I'm not sure if all the rooms in the hotel are like this, or if we were just put in an accessible one. I think it's great that the hotel has accessible bathrooms, though it was a bit awkward showering when the shower head was only at shoulder height. Of course, I could have used the shower seat :-)

Location aside, I was happy with the hotel. We were there for under 8 hours, due to our late arrival and early flights, but the hotel provided a good place to sleep. The drive to the airport was about 10 minutes.

If I were to stay here again, I'd try to arrive before dark.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElephantFeeder
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

I booked the hotel for a group of 14 because of the price. 29 euros for a triple room. After I booked I read reviews and was actually a little worried by what I read about bad food and scarey neighbourhood.This turned out to be totally false. The area is working class and a bit run down but not in the least threatening. Locals at bus stops etc were happy to give directions and wish us a good trip. The hotel itself was comfortable and the restaurant even negotiated a group rate for breakfast which was an all you can eat full irish. This was perfect as my group was made up of mostly teenage boys who took full advantage of the deal and made sure they were well topped up untill lunch. The staff were brilliant and friendly and I will certainly use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank garymac66
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Arriving in Dublin Airport a week before Xmas I was delighted to see that the normal queue for the taxi rank was not there and I got a taxi to go to the optimistically entitled “Travelodge Dublin Airport” right away. That was the good news. The bad news is the Dublin Taxi driver has zero training or customer service ability. His first gambit was a foul mouthed rant about his 3 hour wait for a “job” with the implication that I he was hoping for a longer trip than mine. He also took two mobile calls (he had no hands free), nearly missed the turn off the motorway and clipped the kerb in doing so and took the longer route on the congested M50 Ring motorway instead of the quicker, shorter, less congested route by the back road to the airport. Oh, there was a final racist tinged rant about “foreign taxi drivers” not knowing their way and “Irish girls” not being safe with them. If this is true then this local product has set a high benchmark for them. Did I say a word to him? I did on my Nelly, I am not the overpaid Dublin Taxi Regulator and I was not going to waste my energy. But here as in so many other areas in Ireland they just don’t get the BIG STORY; they are charging too much money for a poor product and the rest of the world has little interest in their self indulgent whinging.

So we arrive at “Travelodge, Dublin Airport.” Now as a Dubliner I knew where it was and it was convenient for my parents who I was visiting. However the title is deceptive as it is actually 3 miles from Dublin Airport in the middle of the Ballymun Flats Public Housing Project which is in the middle of redevelopment but still retains a somewhat grim reputation. If you have seen the hit movie “The Commitments” this is where the boy is bringing the horse up in the lift because he gets too tired using the stairs! Dublin Airport is described as a 5 minute taxi ride away – 15/20 minutes and 15 euro is the reality. It is not the only misleading info on the Travelodge website. The hotel number is described as 10p a minute from a BT Line, it isn’t a BT number, it is an Irish Telecom number attracting International Call charges from the UK.

It is described as 2 miles from Dublin City Centre; it is actually over 5 miles. An American tourist who had relied on the website descriptions might be confused at this stage by this “Airport Hotel” close to the City?

However first impressions are positive, it is a 4 storey new build hotel open over 8 months which is attractive looking and has fresh interiors. However first impressions don’t last. The drops off areas are permanently occupied by trade vehicles and you have to pull up in the middle of the road with the added danger this entails and difficulty for mobility impaired guests. When we complained we were told that these were guests and the vans were too high to use the underground car park and they had to be parked in sight of reception so they wouldn’t be vandalised – so no proper drop off / pick up bays. Inside the reception is bright and modern but it took 15 minutes for somebody to come to the desk to check us in. We had to change from the first room we were assigned as the shower fitting was broken but the room we eventually got was nice and bright, clean and of a good size with two beds (bigger than older Travelodge’s) and the bathroom was excellent. It also had a TV, trouser press and tea/ coffee making facilities. As we had booked online at 29 euros a night this was a lot of room for the money. However there was evidence that things had been finished in a hurry, spacers left in tiling, floor strips loose, areas being redecorated after only a few months.

However the big weakness is apparent when we came back that night and parked in the “secure” underground car park. We pressed the intercom at the car park entrance and without any conversation or checks we were let in. The car park is shared with apartment dwellers and retailers but there are plenty of clearly marked Travelodge spaces. You need to use your card key to access the hotel (and the lift and your room) but when we got to the “secure” doors they were “open” with the electronic lock disengaged so you could go straight in. Once in the lift lobby you could then access all the floors without a key by going up the stairwell. We spoke to the young receptionist the next morning she said the security lock was due to be repaired and had been out of action for weeks. She also said there was CCTV and there was a security guard in the car park. Well there may be CCTV but there is little point to it if there is nobody at reception to look at it. As for the “security guard” we saw what was happening when we were leaving the next day. There he was in an office in the car park chatting away to a friend and just opening the barrier without checking.

The next morning when we were in reception there was a young German couple remonstrating with the reception. Their car had been scraped and damaged on one side. Seemingly when they were entering the car park there was a large van delivering to Travelodge blocking the entrance and they were told to go down the exit road. As they did so the barrier descended and scraped their car. The delivery drivers didn’t want to know and refused to swap details. They then went to reception and they were similarly uninterested and refusing to take ownership. By the time we were leaving the Gardai (Police) had arrived to deal with the situation. The operation of the car park and the security at this Travelodge leaves a lot to be desired and is an area where the hotel management really need to take ownership.

When we went down to breakfast the next morning (it ends @ 11) we were greeted at 10.45 with a somewhat uncouth statement “Oh, I was about to close up” To welcome us. The “Irish” Breakfast consisted of bacon, sausage, beans and pudding looking somewhat worse for wear. Coffee and orange juice (no choice was offered) was brought to the table. There was no healthy alternative, no yoghurts, no cheese, no cold meats, and no selections of bread or rolls. There were min-croissants. The waitress was friendly enough but was very untrained with a poor manner. For this you have to pay 8.95 euros directly to the café as they are not part of Travelodge and we noticed heavy layers of dust on the partition beside our table.

Travelodge's lack of proper training and management systems is painfully and embarrassingly obvious particularly when you compare it to a very similar 2 star budget chain like Ibis run by the French Hotel group Accor. In Travelodge you are continuously faced with disempowered, untrained juvenile staff and poor management systems and processes and non-existent customer service values. Contrast Travelodge with the cheerful and well decorated Ibis Hotels, The Ibis “If we can’t fix it in 30 minutes the room is free” promise, the excellent and healthy breakfasts they offer, the “Breakfast Non-Stop” and the 24 hour snack availability not to mention the contrast in the customer welcome then by comparison Travelodge is a very poor customer service proposition indeed. It is a great pity that Travelodge’s management is not as good as its marketing.

In summary, nice building, poor management, woeful security, good value if you don’t get robbed.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daithai
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2010
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I would like to discuss these issues with you further as your comments disappoint us greatly.
I can assure you the under ground car park is secure – if the magnetic lock was off during the day it was for a maintenance purpose. It is always connected back up.
I’ve passed your comments to the restaurant manager – he will take the appropriate action.

Could you please contact me directly at the hotel?

At this time I can only apologise for your bad experience & for any inconvenience caused.

Kindest Regards,
Lisa
bham england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

arrived & greeted with a smile from receptionist,that put me feeling good straight away.very friendly & knowlegable staff ,rooms were clean tidy & bathroom /shower was great..radiator was a bit cold so out of 10 i'd give it 8 overall.i would def go again .

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank nova3
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your positive review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Lisa
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

We stayed for three nights and had breakfast on 2 mornings. Very reasonable, hotel is clean and warm and the rooms are fairly big. We met a few people from the area and they were very friendly and welcoming.They all have hopes that the area will have more facilities soon for them as they have to go to dublin for their entertaintment and shopping, which is a half an hour on the bus. We travelled in to Dublin in the morning and back every evening and had drinks in the hotel bar at night. There is no bus from the Airport we had to get a bus into the city and back out again to Ballymun, we got a taxi to the airport when we left which is only 10 mins away but it was expensive at 18 euros.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
RimaStankute, Revenue Coordinator at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2009
Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to write your possitive review. They are always welcome. We hope you stay with us again soon.
Kind regards,
Rima
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Metro Hotel Dublin Airport
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport
Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel
Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!