“Nice Travelodge Absolutly terrible area!!”

Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel
Ranked #107 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Me and 6 mates stayed here for 2 nights begining of last year, hotel itself is nice large rooms bar downstairs and restaurant, everything you would get in a travelodge, the problem is the location its about 10 minute taxi ride away or 20 minutes bus to city centre which isnt to bad but the area which the hotel is in is a very rough area, we were told not to go to the pub infront of the hotel as they hate english and its very very rough, theres a few building infront of the hotel where oviesly no one lives and just drug addicts and homeless people sleep, also at night there was a few fights in the street and alot of drunk people around.

If you stay here order a taxi and when its outside quickly jump in it otherwise dont bother going out at night, its fine during the day we got the bus etc and walked around and it was fine but tis ovies its a terrible area, would never stay there again unless i was staying in the hotel the whole time.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Travelodge_Manager1, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2010

Dear AshleyMarcos1

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review on our Hotel, we greatly value our guests feedback.

I am pleased that you liked our hotel, I am however concerned that you were told not to go to the pub across the road. I myself am English and I can assure you that there is no prejudice behaviour towards The English, in fact I have always found it to be quite the opposite in this community. I do have to admit though that the pub across the road is quite old and probably wouldn't have suited a group of lads... However for your information last month we extended our own bar within the hotel and we have evening entertainment on Thursdays, Friday's, Saturday and Sunday's with either a live band or our resident DJ.

I am proud to say that the Hotel is one of the newest buildings in a regeneration area. The empty buildings you have described in your review have now been demolished with others in the area about to be brought down also, within the next couple of years the whole area will consist of new buildings, a new multi million € shopping centre and also a under ground Metro straight into the city or to the airport. I sincerely hope that if you come over to Ireland again in the next few years then you would visit our hotel once more so that you can see the difference to the development.

Kind regards,

The Travelodge Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed for one night on the 21st June on our way back home after a great week in Ireland. It is a Travelodge and maintains the very good standards I have found in Travelodge’s whenever I have used them. The problem we found was that it is in a very undesirable area. I decidedly would not venture out of the hotel for an evening walk as I did not feel safe. There was considerable noise, shouting and loud music from the flats opposite throughout the night and we had a very disturbed night with very little sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank healthvisitorNe
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Myself and girlfriend stayed two nights here. We were really surprised by our room. It was large and decorated to the highest standards. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very cleam. There was a table and chair and workdesk. Everything in the room looked new. We were located on the 4th floor, double room.

We did not like the breakfast. Not very nice.

Saturday night we had a small problem with noise coming from the next room (top rooms have baloneys so noise was coming in through our open window<very hot weather, no air conditioning>). I had to ring down to reception twice, both times they responded by telling our neighbours to keep it down or else. It worked the second time!

Overall, we would stay again, I'd have to think twice about the breakfast though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We arrived in Dublin late in the evening and when we arrived tired at the Travelodge the service was great. I asked for an extra pillow and it was not a problem. Room spacious, bed comfy and location very quiet. Taxi driver mentioned it was a very dangerous area but didn't worry us as we were only sleeping there. For 39 Pounds it was a bargain.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank scottf62
Reviewed 24 April 2010

i have been working in the dublin area and chose to stay at the nearest travelodge which was unfortunatly this one, after working a night shift and finishing around 4.30 am me and my workmates returned to the hotel, some local kids were hanging around the hotel and while trying to gain access to the hotel one of my workmates was approached by 3 of these youths and although the people on the reception desk could see what was happening they would not open the door and my workmate was mugged in full view of the hotel staff. i cancelled my booking the next day and moved to a hotel elsewhere, DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank IanSteders
Reviewed 17 April 2010

we stayed at this travelodge for 2 nights whilst we visited dublin city and wicklow mountains it was situated ideally for the main motorway and only 10 mins away from city centre which was easy to get to as the bus stop was outside the hotel, the parking and hotel was really secure and strict on security, the surrounding area is a bit ruff we could but we could see the regeneration project was coming on nicely end even though we were woken by police cars in the area both nights there was never any worry to ourselves by the locals or the area, we would stay at this hotel again as it was central without being in dublin centre.... we ate in the restaurant one night and the food was very nice we had no complaints about the hotel the staff were great and very helpful, the only complaint was the price of the lager 12 euro for 2 pints in the centre (do they think people are made of money) stick to the guiness!! and watch out if you go by ferry as we returned to the wrong ferry port and missed our ferry no one told us there was 2 ferry ports in dublin, would def stop in hotel again.........

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davejanice
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We stayed here the Friday night before we left Ireland. We had spent the previous weekend in Dublin, and then drove around the west and north during the week. We arrived late-ish in the evening, around 9:30 pm, by car from Belfast. I first drove past the hotel (the booking.com info didn't have a number, just a street), and ended up going down the entire street, which was a somewhat scary experience. As other reviewers have noted, I suspect most of the people living in this area are fine, but there were enough scary-looking people to worry me, given it was dark, and I wasn't familiar with the place.

When we checked in, we were asked if we had a car. I said we had parked in front of the hotel (I didn't see a hotel carpark), and the receptionist recommended that I move the car into the secure carpark ASAP. The carpark was around the back, and was indeed secure.

Once the scariness of the area passed (honestly, if I hadn't been incredibly tired, I probably wouldn't have been scared), the hotel itself was fine. It was a Travelodge, so I wasn't expecting anything fancy. The quirks of the room were that we couldn't shut our window properly (we could close it, but the latch stopped it closing fully), so there was a bit of a draft. We overcame this by turning the heat all the way up, so the room wasn't too cold during the night.

The other quirk was that we had an accessible bathroom. I'm not sure if all the rooms in the hotel are like this, or if we were just put in an accessible one. I think it's great that the hotel has accessible bathrooms, though it was a bit awkward showering when the shower head was only at shoulder height. Of course, I could have used the shower seat :-)

Location aside, I was happy with the hotel. We were there for under 8 hours, due to our late arrival and early flights, but the hotel provided a good place to sleep. The drive to the airport was about 10 minutes.

If I were to stay here again, I'd try to arrive before dark.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ElephantFeeder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin
Tara Towers Hotel
#109 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!