“Good Value”

Ranked #104 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Value”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I read the reviews that it was in a bad area, but it didn't really seem to make a difference to our stay. I was staying with my parents in a triple room. And it was REALLY cheap!
We turned up at 10.30am hoping to drop our bags and car at the hotel after an early flight from Britain. Instead the receptionist checked us in early.
We then caught a bus into town for only 1.50 Euro each and spent the day. My parents caught the bus back at about 10pm, no problems. No sign of the dodgy reports of people and noise in other reviews.
I caught a taxi later (as I didn't realise the buses finish at 11.30pm)... only 13 Euro from city centre, however, again, the cabbie told me it was a bad area.
All in all, the bedroom was nice, modern and clean, the beds comfortable and the staff very helpful. Underground free parking, early checkin, late checkout (12pm) and about £13 each per night... cheaper than a hostel! :)

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SerendipitousNomads
Travelodge_Manager1, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2010
Dear Bea From Oz,

Thank you for your positive review on our hotel and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and found us to be good value, comfortable and friendly. That is what we strive to be and we are happy to hear that we have fulfilled this.

We hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

The Travelodge Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
westyorks
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed here for three nights,over the weekend,wish I would have booked for two though.Hotel itself is ok,nothing fancy.
It is situated in the middle of what I can only call a slum area,derelict flats surrounding the hotel,strange people walking around at every hour mostly drunks.Did not get much sleep at night for the constant loud music playing into the early hours.
It will cost you between 15 and 20 euros to get to the airport by taxi,two buses to get there,how this is called Dublin Airport Ballymun,I have no idea,it is nowhere near.The Tesco opposite the hotel is ok,but beware of all the people stood outside the pub all day drinking.
Be warned ,stay in the hotel when its dark.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Me and 6 mates stayed here for 2 nights begining of last year, hotel itself is nice large rooms bar downstairs and restaurant, everything you would get in a travelodge, the problem is the location its about 10 minute taxi ride away or 20 minutes bus to city centre which isnt to bad but the area which the hotel is in is a very rough area, we were told not to go to the pub infront of the hotel as they hate english and its very very rough, theres a few building infront of the hotel where oviesly no one lives and just drug addicts and homeless people sleep, also at night there was a few fights in the street and alot of drunk people around.

If you stay here order a taxi and when its outside quickly jump in it otherwise dont bother going out at night, its fine during the day we got the bus etc and walked around and it was fine but tis ovies its a terrible area, would never stay there again unless i was staying in the hotel the whole time.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
Travelodge_Manager1, Manager at Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2010
Dear AshleyMarcos1

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review on our Hotel, we greatly value our guests feedback.

I am pleased that you liked our hotel, I am however concerned that you were told not to go to the pub across the road. I myself am English and I can assure you that there is no prejudice behaviour towards The English, in fact I have always found it to be quite the opposite in this community. I do have to admit though that the pub across the road is quite old and probably wouldn't have suited a group of lads... However for your information last month we extended our own bar within the hotel and we have evening entertainment on Thursdays, Friday's, Saturday and Sunday's with either a live band or our resident DJ.

I am proud to say that the Hotel is one of the newest buildings in a regeneration area. The empty buildings you have described in your review have now been demolished with others in the area about to be brought down also, within the next couple of years the whole area will consist of new buildings, a new multi million € shopping centre and also a under ground Metro straight into the city or to the airport. I sincerely hope that if you come over to Ireland again in the next few years then you would visit our hotel once more so that you can see the difference to the development.

Kind regards,

The Travelodge Team
NE
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed for one night on the 21st June on our way back home after a great week in Ireland. It is a Travelodge and maintains the very good standards I have found in Travelodge’s whenever I have used them. The problem we found was that it is in a very undesirable area. I decidedly would not venture out of the hotel for an evening walk as I did not feel safe. There was considerable noise, shouting and loud music from the flats opposite throughout the night and we had a very disturbed night with very little sleep.

1 Thank healthvisitorNe
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Myself and girlfriend stayed two nights here. We were really surprised by our room. It was large and decorated to the highest standards. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very cleam. There was a table and chair and workdesk. Everything in the room looked new. We were located on the 4th floor, double room.

We did not like the breakfast. Not very nice.

Saturday night we had a small problem with noise coming from the next room (top rooms have baloneys so noise was coming in through our open window<very hot weather, no air conditioning>). I had to ring down to reception twice, both times they responded by telling our neighbours to keep it down or else. It worked the second time!

Overall, we would stay again, I'd have to think twice about the breakfast though.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We arrived in Dublin late in the evening and when we arrived tired at the Travelodge the service was great. I asked for an extra pillow and it was not a problem. Room spacious, bed comfy and location very quiet. Taxi driver mentioned it was a very dangerous area but didn't worry us as we were only sleeping there. For 39 Pounds it was a bargain.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank scottf62
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2010

i have been working in the dublin area and chose to stay at the nearest travelodge which was unfortunatly this one, after working a night shift and finishing around 4.30 am me and my workmates returned to the hotel, some local kids were hanging around the hotel and while trying to gain access to the hotel one of my workmates was approached by 3 of these youths and although the people on the reception desk could see what was happening they would not open the door and my workmate was mugged in full view of the hotel staff. i cancelled my booking the next day and moved to a hotel elsewhere, DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank IanSteders

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel? Share your experiences!