“Disappointing first visit”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dublin
“Disappointing first visit”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place... I love Stoneybatter and adore it when new cafes and eateries pop up in the vicinity.

I'll start with the good points: the staff are very friendly, the decor is nice and the location is fabulous if you are a D7 resident.

The bad bits: I really didn't enjoy what I ordered. I had a baked breakfast dish, which consisted of two poached eggs and one chopped up spicey sausage in a sea of chipotle seasoned chickpeas. It just didn't work for me. The chipotle overwhelmed the eggs and the sausage had a strange flavour. The saving grace was the single slice of good toasted bread that came with it. I was still hungry afterwards so I ordered a slice of sponge cake afterwards. This was really dry and not a bit spongey. It didn't taste very fresh either. Now, maybe I just ordered badly for both my savoury and sweet options but I certainly won't be rushing back. The portion sizes are on the small side so don't go there if you are very hungry.

• Visited May 2014

Dublin, Ireland.
“Quirky.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is similar to it's sister cafe "the cake cafe" - small and quirky. I think it might be a bit too "different" for some of the locals, as it's located in a well established area, I think it will be more popular with students / alternative types. It's quirky style is reflected in the food too. The coffee is 3FE which both my hubby and I didn't enjoy, the taste is too sharp, we both love a good coffee but felt it failed on this end. I've also tried the porridge but didn't like it so much, found it to be undercooked. The service is usually slow - hippy laid back style. I can imagine if the cafe was full it would be noisy and uncomfortable, it's really small inside. The cakes however are yummy and I think this is their forte. It's nice to have a place to pop into on the way back from the Phoenix Park, the staff are friendly too but for us personally I think we'd be more inclined to pop in for a quick "tea" and cake and that's the only reason we'd return..

Dublin, Ireland
“Another Great Local”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went here for brunch yesterday having read about it in an article this week. We definitely weren't disappointed. My boyfriend just went for a coffee and a scone. His only complaint was that he would have liked the coffee hotter. The scone was lovely with really tasty jam. I went for the organic cola which was really interesting and a bit different and I had baked eggs with bacon. The toast was perfect and all the food was perfect. There was a great atmosphere - really busy but without feeling too loud or cramped. The staff were really friendly. This is a great find and I can't wait to go back and try out other options. The menu has plenty of tasty looking treats!

• Visited April 2014