“Lovely hotel, great location, with lovely staff. Book it!”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Dublin
Ranked #12 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cheshire
“Lovely hotel, great location, with lovely staff. Book it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

As a regular Radisson guest when travelling on business, I had accrued enough loyalty points to redeem for 2 nights in a Business Class room at almost any Radisson hotel in the world. Despite me having spent countless weeks in Ireland during 2012, my wife wanted to visit Dublin, as she had never been to Ireland, and wanted to experience some of the craic I had often described on my return home. So back to Ireland it was - but this is not a chore. I will never tire of Ireland. If you too have not yet visited - why are you waiting? Get it booked!!

As an added "Brucie Bonus", we were lucky to have been upgraded to a Junior Suite. I can imagine this is partly due to the overuse of my Carlson Club loyalty card, but was a very welcome surprise on check-in - thanks. The Junior Suite was very nice, with a lovely bathroom, bath with TV and separate shower and plenty of room with huge heated mirrors. The room was dominated by a, (quite unnecessarily), large dining table and over-sized settee - leaving little room for manoeuvre.

There was a large decked patio area outside the large floor to ceiling french windows, from which you could see much of the City of Dublin skyline. The significance of this decked area was soon to change from a welcome positive, to a most annoying negative. At 3.15 am on our first night, we were rudely awoken by some rowdy guests from the neighbouring room, who had invited others to use their decked patio to double up as a nightclub.

I flew out of bed in a rage and had a very brief exchange of views with the delightful occupants of the room next door. The neighbouring neanderthal declared that, "I've paid for the room and will make as much noise as I like". Hotel staff spoke with him, which had a beneficial effect, but given my increased heart rate and desire to rip his heart from his chest, meant it would be an hour or so before I settled back to sleep.

At reception the next morning, we spoke with Adele and Sonia, who were superb - very professional and genuinely disturbed by the incident. They were horrified to have read the reports from the night's incident log - it seemed the person who went to quieten the mood also received a mouthful of abuse. The staff were superb and this incident should not reflect upon the hotel in any negative light. We were assured that the primates next door were to be moved, or we would, to prevent a repeat of the unacceptable events. This was a wise strategic move on behalf of the hotel.

When we returned to reception later that day, Sonia was pleased to offer us an upgrade to The Presidential Suite. This was quite unnecessary, as our noisy neighbours had "decided to leave", but she was happy to offer the upgrade as way of an apology, which we were happy to accept. "Presidential Suite!!" How Presidential would this be? I was imagining all-sorts, and abundance of space, a veritable plethora of decadence and luxury? To say we were disappointed might sound like we were ungrateful, or difficult to please. Well, for a room that often sells for over €500 per night, it was pretty average to be honest. I'd only be guessing, but if Barack had booked this room, Michelle would be bending his ear. Perhaps, when they named it "The Presidential Suite", they were aiming more for Michael Higgins, (the President of Ireland), more than the Obamas?

Upon entry you're greeted with a maze of doors, heavy doors on violently sprung self-closing mechanisms. One led to a "Guest toilet", (with no lock on the door), another to a broom cupboard sized space, containing only a suitcase rack. Two large double doors led to the living space. This was indeed large, with more settee space and scatter cushions than you could poke a stick at. A large dining table and another decked patio are outside were obvious features. Decor was "50 shades of.….well brown", quite unimaginative.

The bedroom was small compared to the Junior Suite, we'd probably have been better off in the previous room, as it was more spacious by comparison. The bathroom was smaller, much smaller, and access was almost impossible, due to a serious design floor regarding the opening of the door and positioning of the shower and basin. Moving from room to room was comical, given that we could be in different rooms, separated by two heavy fire doors (with no door-stops), the process became very tiresome, very quickly.

Wi-Fi in both rooms was first class, like I have become to trust in Radisson hotels - reliable, easy to use, fast and FREE. Breakfast was stunning. More choice than I have ever seen in any breakfast room - and I stay in a lot of hotels, (101 nights in 2012), truly excellent. The environment was great too, spacious and light, and tastefully decorated.

So, despite an unfortunate brush with man's evolutionary past, and The Presidential Suite being more of a let-down than The Guinness Storehouse, the hotel was excellent. We especially loved the genuine, personable manner of Sonia, and we loved the feeling of being made to feel extremely welcome, which to be honest, doesn't happen in most hotels I stay in. The Radisson Blu Dublin is a modern, really well located place to stay when visiting Dublin, one that you can easily use to walk around the city from. Book with confidence, and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dodgergammon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cas Catala, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Radisson Blu at the beginning of December and rated the hotel very highly.

I also used the hotel for a meeting and all of the staff were extremely helpful and professional throughout the day.

The bedroom was comfortable, spotlessly clean with a great bathroom.

Service in the bar was very good and I found all of the reception staff to be very welcoming and genuinely friendly.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
IRELAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Being fans of Radisson hotels we stayed in this hotel as we were attending a show in Dublin city centre. It was an excellent choice. Check in was friendly and efficient and as I am a Silver Club Carlson member we were upgraded to a Business room. The room was spacious with a lovely large comfy bed. Breakfast was a delightful buffet as Radissons do best. We had a light lunch in the bar and this too was most enjoyable.
The location is excellent and within walking distance of St. Stephens Green.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Business rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Located in the very centre of Dublin, this is an excellent hotel for the price. On arrival by car, we parked in a highly secure car park, and took the lift to the hotel. I was travelling on business and accompanied by my wife who worked out a social program. We decided to stay two extra nights and (at a cost) were upgraded to a business room. Room was spacious and comfortable and excellent bathroom. The room had a coffee machine so we were immediately at home.
Work done, a short walk and we were in all the central Dublin locations.
The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

Breakfast in the bedroom was not always as ordered!! The immediate surrounding area is not appealing, but if you are looking for a good hotel, in very central Dublin, this will serve you well, at a fraction of the price of some of the more famous establishments.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Vantaa, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed 5 nights in one bedroom suite and I can recommend it for families. Two spacious rooms separated by a spacious "lobby". There's a nice walkin closet in the bedroom. You can use private lift, if you want. You can watch TV while having a bath. You can have a cup of Nespresso if you want. Breakfast was good. Location is good as well.
Pay TV wasn't working well, but we got a discount from room price for that.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite might be expensive, but it's worth it if you want more space.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Navan, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in January - it was supposedly a deal they were running, but turned out to be more expensive than other, better hotels. The room was fine, at least it was clean and had [pretty poor] wi-fi. That's about the good ... the attitude of the staff stinks! God forbid you ever need to ask them anything important. The so-called residents bar closes at about 1am, and the bar tender that was on was just short of rude. A glass of wine sets you back €8.50?? what?? I asked for room service and was greeted with a stoney faced stare as if I had 4 heads. I asked what where the choices: "Tell me what you want and I'll see what I can do" without so much smile, I was polite, staff should make even more of an effort. I don't believe half of these high ratings are genuine, as the atmosphere, caused by the staff, was so dull. It has a real unfriendly, clinical atmosphere, there are much nicer and friendlier hotels in the city, shop around.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KeithG75
Francois B, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We are really disapointed to hear about your recent experience at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel. This is not the standard of service that we are known for and usually provide. We appreciate your feedback and will contact you directly by email.

Kindest Regards

Francois Bouet
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here from Dec 28th - Jan 4th to visit family and spend New Year's in Dublin. The Radisson was located in a near perfect spot within 5-15 mins walking distance to the centre, Grafton st, St. Stephens Green, Whitefriar and other areas.

The great thing is that it's on a quiet corner of Golden Lane so you are still in the middle of beautiful Dublin but you get the quiet of an outer neighbourhood.

The hotel was clean, modern, quiet, comfortable and luxurious. We had a business class room and the free coffee in the room was a very welcome treat in the mornings!

The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

Spending seven nights here was lovely and we could have stayed longer.

I would stay here again most definitely.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple