“Great if you only have a short time in the city.”
Review of Dublin Road Train Tours - CLOSED

Dublin Road Train Tours
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I really enjoyed this trip.
It had just enough information to take in over the hour it lasted, containing lots of interesting and varied historical facts with a little bit of humour thrown in and the commentary was given in a very pleasant Irish voice which was easy to listen to and clear to understand.
There were some other double decker buses selling what looked like more extensive sightseeing tours but they only had 2-day tickets available which were twice the price and that didn't suit me because I was only in Dublin for the day.
Passengers could get off and back on again on the next road train at several points during the tour. I got off at the Natural History Museum and planned to get back on again one hour later. Unfortunately I mistakenly waited on the wrong side of the road but the driver waited for me and waved across the road as he remembered I had said I would be getting back on that bus. He was very friendly and nice.
This trip was a great thing to do on a rainy day (which mine was) because you were under cover but could have the window open to take in the atmosphere of Dublin as the train wandered through the streets. I learned a lot about Dublin and had a very pleasant time.

4  Thank Susan G

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We purchased tickets to use the Road Train Tours and were told they ran every 30 min. We waited for 55 min, excuse was they were stuck in traffic. The place we went to we were told the last one would leave at 5 pm. We were at the stop at 3.55, so in theory there should of been one along at 4pm and 4.30pm. At 4.50pm we gave up and got a taxi. Two bad experiences. Taxi driver said yeah they were new company and were very slack.

2  Thank Catherine J
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We enjoyed a fun & informative trip around Dublin on the Road Train on Sunday morning May 2nd. The trip is just the right duration for children and the novelty factor of the "train" element is very appealing. There were adults without children on the tour as well and they seemed to enjoy it as much as our family did. Although we didn't avail of it, the option to stop/pick up at the Guinness Store House is a bonus also.

The only minor suggestion I would make is to include some better known songs in the music selection to increase the "sing-a-long" element of the tour. Highly recommend the trip.

2  Thank eaka2007
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A quiet Tuesday afternoon spent on this enjoyable tour was very pleasant. It was a little difficult to find out where it started from, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. It's a great alternative to the ubiquitous bus tour. Lovely driver, good music and commentary, though I think I would have put a few more details in.

2  Thank quine19
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having just returned from a few days in Dublin, I couldn't wait to review this lovely (reasonably) new venture. Although I went on the tour with 3 children, there were also 3 separate adults joining us who equally had a great time, so don't let the cute train exterior make you feel it's just for the kids!!

The tour commentary whilst on board was really interesting and informative (though maybe could have done with being a little louder, but we did have 3 very noisy adults onboard!) and kept the 3 children engaged throughout the trip. Even my friend who actually lives in Dublin found things out she didn't know before.

If you've only got a little time to take in the sights, this 50-minute tour is a great way to experience all the wonders of Dublin and it left me knowing where I wanted to spend more time visiting next time I'm in Dublin.

The guys who run this are great - they even held the train's departure up just for me as we were dashing down Merrion Street a little bit later than anticipated.

They also run similar tours in Kilkenny, so check that out too!

Thanks, guys, we had a blast and we will definitely be coming back for another tour next time we're in Dublin.

1  Thank EmmaSurrey