“disgracefully small carpark!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tavistock Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dublin
Tavistock Guest House
Ranked #146 of 161 Dublin B&B and Inns
Donegal Town, Ireland
“disgracefully small carpark!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

it was confusing on arrival where the carpark was. The gate to the carpark was heavy and stiff and the owner did not offer to help until asked. The carpark barely fits three cars and is an absolute nightmare to drive into and even worse to drive out of!! If you dont want to damage your car, i wouldnt recommend this b&b. Also the rooms are very old fashioned, and the ceiling of the bathroom was leaking when it rained!! overall, not impressed and would not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank knightrider_12

Business
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

Stayed in the Tavistock in Nov 2010 during a cold snap. My room--apart from being old, moldy and dirty was absolutely freezing. It was ridiculous. I had lived in Ranelagh before and wanted to stay close to town but I would not recommend this horrible B and B to anyone. Don't stay here--not worth the money. A really bad choice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank leighbaz

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

startrevolutionnow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

My partner & I stayed at Tavistock in Sep '08 b/c they allow our dog. We were given Rm 1 next to the entrance of the house which made for a very noisy & sleepless weekend. The bathroom had some mold & the room needed some TLC, but the staff lady Marade was so kind to us & our dog we overlooked all of the previously mentioned issues & planned to stay again should we return to Dublin. We ended up returning in June & this time met the owner. We were going to be given Rm 1 again but I requested an alternative room b/c last time our dog barked at hearing the traffic of the house coming in & out. The owner did accomodate us by giving us Rm 10, but after that point all of our interactions w/the owner made us feel as though we were putting her out. She did answer any questions we had but spoke short w/us, seemed cold & generally made us feel uncomfortable. The worst part of the weekend though was Rm 10. The bathroom was absolutely covered in mold, the vinyl flooring was completely up and the furniture was so filthy we avoided using it. We never let our belongings touch anything in the room & went from the shower to our shoes. We did not feel we could leave & go anywhere else b/c Tavistock is the only B&B in Dublin we found that allows our dog. Speaking of which, our dog developed an eye infection & needed antibiotics the day after we got home from this weekend. While I can't say indefinitely its attributed the incredible mold issue of this house, my dog's veterinarian & myself believe it to be the cause.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank startrevolutionnow
dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

This guesthouse is advertised as a premier b and b with excellent facilities. WRONG.

The room given to me was small, with a bed made from what seemed to be bamboo, an old fahioned dusty duvet, and was located at the front of the b and b right next to the noisy main road through ranelagh. (n.b the room is lit up with a strong spotlight from outside all night).

The small toilet was a corner of the room enclosed by plywood with the ceiling made of carpet.

The welcome was non existant and the service was inept.

All this for just 140euro per night.

• Liked — was near city centre
  • Disliked — the price, quality and service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank fittonn
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

I stayed in the Tavistock house for a long weekend -* Thur to sunday. I had lived in Ranelagh for a number of years so I was really looking forward to staying in the area. My first impression was not a good one - I called to the door to enquire about where we could park and I was handed a key for a pad-lock and told where the car park was. The space for parking cars was very limited and if my boyfriend was not with me I would have found it difficult to open the gate to the car park. We were shown directly to our room - on the bottom floor, it looked like an bedsit from the 70's .. it was small, and badly in need of refurbishment. The shower was so small that it was difficult to turn in it. The next morning I asked to be moved to a different room and the lady was very plesant. We were moved to a much bigger room upstairs - very airy, lovely shower!

I dont think its work 70euro per person, but the location is great. if you are planning a stay, I recommend that you ask for an upstairs room.

Oh yes, on departure, I had to move a car belonging to another resident before we could move our car out of the car park!

Breakfast was only OK!

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — It needs to be refurbished!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

Stayed there with my sister and found the B/B to be very good.
We had a large twin bedroom which was clean.
An excellent freshly cooked breakfast each morning.
The links to the City and local restruants again excellent.
I found the Brain and his staff really friendly and helpful.

The only down side to this wonderful house,its in need of a bit of TLC!

In our room, the paint was peeling off the windows, the curtains are faded and the windows netts could do with a wash! also bathroom a bit past its best.
Luxury its not!

However, I would stay again and recommend it !

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Little disappointed with Luxury accommodation, its not!
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ranelagh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2008

As a resident in Ranelagh for all my life, i have recommended this b&b to many of my friends, thinking i was promoting local trade. However i was shocked and disgusted at the treatment i received form the "owner". I called to the b&b to inform him a relative of mine that was booked in to stay during that week could not stay due to a sudden death in the family. I was then informed that the €35 deposit was non refundable, without an ounce of empathy.He was only interested in making the room available again. I asked if he could be a little lenient with the deposit and possibly use part of this towards another booking that i had also recommended to the guest. His response to this was "listen sweetheart what part of non-refundable do you not understand" I informed him that i often recommend his b&b to friends of mine and he stated "i could fill this place up 10 times over if i wanted" I found his manner very condescending and frankly quite rude. To think i have recommended this place to many of my friends disgusts me. This man is a greedy, money hungry rude indivdual and i will never recommend this place again!

• Stayed May 2008