“The Cellar Bar - Nice for a drink - not dinner with a group”
Review of The Cellar Bar

The Cellar Bar
Ranked #45 of 293 Nightlife in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: A warm welcome always awaits in The Cellar Bar at The Merrion hotel. Located in the original 18th Century wine vaults, with its bare bricked walls and vaulted ceilings, The Cellar Bar is an intrinsic part of Dublin's vibrant social scene. The Cellar Bar features fifty carefully selected wines, available by the glass. Furthermore, to complement the extensive wine offering, Executive Chef, Ed Cooney, has devised mouthwatering lunch and evening menus prepared simply with plenty of Merrion style, a perfect choice when dining in Dublin.
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stopped at the Cellar Bar with my wife and two other couples (6 in total). The bar was nice, well appointed, and lively.
We were seated at a table in a small alcove, which was fine. The food was ok, although for the price I expect higher quality. Total bill for drinks, appetizers, dinner and a couple of deserts was 500+ EUR.
I really think that our group should have instead visited the Cellar Bar for drinks and perhaps a snack, or lunch. The servers in the bar seating area seemed to be used to typical bar orders, not handling a full dinner.
I was hoping this establishment would provide good food in a less formal atmosphere then the restaurant in the Merriam Hotel. I liked the feel of the bar, although the food and service left something to be desired for a full dinner.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"pint"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I love this bar. I love the hotel. It's very cosy and atmospheric and the staff are precisely what you would expect in a 5 star hotel.

Yesterday I had brunch there with two friends at my instigation. We eat together nearly every weekend and this was the big "5 star" experience. We ordered two eggs benedict and a Classic. They weighed in at €16 each. There were other options on the menu but I had assumed that at that price we should be ok for food. We weren't. I didn't taste the eggs benedict. The boys said they were fine. They arrived on huge plates which managed to emphasis the absolute smallness of the portions. The Classic was even smaller. I kid you not it was around one egg scrambled in a circular shape with three tiny rigid American bacon strips. The "silver dollar pancakes" were the size of 3 silver dollars.

I worked as a breakfast chef as a student and I know the difference between pre-pepared ingredients and fresh ones. The scrambled egg was not freshly made. The pancakes [seriously how they have the gall to refer to them as pancakes is just hilarious] were not freshly made either. The bacon was what it was supposed to be just there was hardly any of it.
When I worked as a chef and it was volume and speed that was emphasised. The only things freshly prepared in the hotel I worked in were fried and poached eggs. Everything else was prepared hours before and left in the oven. Scrambled eggs were never done fresh. They were cooked in a large pan and when served, the water that collects in the egg was just allowed to drain out and the overcooked mulch put in a cup. The main reason was that people expected dessicated eggs so we gave them that. Laziness and no attention to detail.
So when I receive my dish of scrambled eggs in a 5 star hotel I expected a 5 star dish. The eggs were awful. I mean terrible travel hotel awful. Bland, dry and then someone had the temerity to add three lukewarm pieces of dough to the Saraha Desert sized plate and balance 3 little baby strips of bacon on top. Voila! There you go. €16.
We didn't complain. We were out to enjoy ourselves. We didn't flinch at the prices [€5.50 for a small glass of orange juice]. I we had a cider and two house cocktails. Bill was over €90. We left a handsome tip. and I promised to write this review.

In conclusion, the staff are lovely, the decor is faultless. I would love to be eating regularly in the Merrion because it's a great place. But attention to detail is what the hospitality industry runs on, not poor reviews on Tripadvisor. If I am going to pay through the nose for something then I want value for money and ambiance alone isn't enough. You get a second star because the quality of the eggs benedict was decent however not the best my friends had eaten in Dublin by a long way.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

The Cellar Bar is a lovely bar for a chat, quiet drink or lunch alone.
Service is generally very good, and the atmosphere is 5 star. The food is not as impressive but still rates very highly.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a great spot to simply enjoy a drink and eat some well prepared food at the bar. A good place if you are waiting or simply not due to meet up.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

The Cellar Bar is a hidden gem. It's tucked underneath The Merrion Hotel and laid out with nooks and crannies surrounding a large open bar area.

The service is always attentive and rapid, the selection of drinks excellent and the atmosphere warm and friendly.

I have just returned from the newly launched Sunday Brunch and it was exceptional. The domed, almost cave-like niches are ideal for chatty get-togethers so are perfect for brunch. The food was simply incredible. I particularly recommend the French Toast. It is spectacular.

If anyone is looking for me early on Sunday afternoon from now on you will find me in The Cellar Bar.