“worst culinary experience in Dublin”
Review of Les Freres Jacques - CLOSED

Les Freres Jacques
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Description: "Quaint but charming French restaurant in the heart of Dublin. This family-run restaurant has a regular clientele who come for the warm welcome and delicious seafood. All the staff are French and the atmosphere authentically Gallic. What's cooking: Classic French fare. Signature dishes include terrine of foie gras Maison with grilled country loaf bread and a glass of Sauterne, whole black sole meuniere and lots of wonderful fresh seafood and seasonal game."
Dublin, Ireland
“worst culinary experience in Dublin”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

went here yesterday to celebrate my graduation. big fan of French cuisine and reading good reviews about this place I went there with high expectations....rang in the afternoon for reservation I find out they only open at 6...in a Saturday? We book the table for 6, went there, nice atmosphere, staff very friendly,everything look allright...well except the food. we ordered confit leg of duck and scallops for starters and fillet of beef and black sole(signature dish)for main course, also ordered a bottle of white wine from Alsace. then the problems start to begin...the duck was ok, well cooked and presented, the scallops the same,tasty ,but after eating few of them I find a long piece of hair...tell the waiter and he took it away. the maitre d' very embarased fix the problem straight away, bringing another portion(bigger)and appologising...no problem I say, was an accident, it can happen, despite it was not busy. the main courses were a complete disaster... the 38 euros black sole was very dry,overcooked, the fillet (cooked medium) was burn on the outside,very bad taste,both dishes served with vegetables on the plate which were COLD, not even warm just cold. being hungry we ate but tell the maitre d' about this. he try to fix it by offering us some drinks and free deserts but was just too much for us and we refused. not charging us for a BOTTLE OF SPARKLING WATER we pay for this 127 euros.....I won't go back and also advice every one to avoid this place. don't know what the chef is doing there but at least after a starter with hair in it he should be more careful at least not to send cold food to the same table. they try to do something good there but for sure they don't have the right chef for this. the most angry I was for the fish...how can a chef can overcook a black sole, one of the most expensive fish?why is he allowed to cook it? just as an advice look up for another chef!!!!!!

• Visited November 2013

Dublin
“A Dublin Institution”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

One of my favourite restaurants in Dublin, Les Freres Jacques perfects that old-school, fine-dining French charm that is sadly becoming more and more rare. This place has been around for about 30 years in the same old building (right beside the Olympia Theatre). It's a relatively small restaurant and some tables are perhaps a little tight for space - not a major criticism. The decor is classic, understated and tasteful; it's a calm, serene place to be. The service is low-key but attentive and charming. The food is always excellent. The wine list is superb: comprehensive and with a wide range of prices (there are several very tasty entry-level wines under €30/bottle). There are occasional voucher deals here which make this place ludicrously good value. We went a while back on one such deal and I couldn't believe the quality of the food: just excellent. We subsequently returned for an Early Bird and more recently an a la carte meal, and on both occasions the food was similarly impressive: wonderful flavours and beautifully presented. Despite some reviewers' comments, we find the (French) owner very charming, welcoming and attentive, as are the rest of the excellent staff. Can't wait to return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jonathan H
London
“Too close for comfort”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Barely enough room to more to/from table. A novel idea is to place two tables together with a glass partition between - with one person on second table sitting facing us - embarassing - too close for comfort!! Food amazingly good

• Visited October 2013
London
“Good food but service attitude could be improved”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

2nd time visit! Food quality was fantastic. Service not as good. As the attitude of one particular staff is so up himself. It's not bad for price we paid especially Monday and Tuesday night bottle of wine is half price. We had cote Du Rhone was very good.

Celbridge, Ireland
“Excellence”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was brought here for lunch for my birthday on a Monday and what a treat!
We started off with two glasses of the house champagne which were really nice. For starters (which was recommended by the maitre'd) I had the scallops with garlic, butter and breadcrumbs. This dish was so good I wish I could of had it for my main course. He had the pork belly which he guarded with his fork and wouldn't let me try he was enjoying it so much! I need to mention the cheesy bread too, it was yummy.
For mains I had the hake on a bed of mash potato with a red pepper sauce and to top it off some spring onions in a filo pastry. It was delicious. He went for the black sole and the portion was huge. This time I got to taste some of his main and it was a classic dish cooked perfectly.
I had to ask for a couple of minutes before I could order dessert as I was so full and it was not a problem for the staff or the kitchen. I had the chocolate and nut brownie with green chartreuse ice-cream and what a chocolately sensation. But the portion was too big and I couldn't finish it! He had the fruit bavarois and said when we come back he was going to order the exact same dessert!
To drink we had the Bergerie de l’Hortus in the white and it was really nice.
There is one thing I havn't mentioned yet and that is the service. The manager and waiters make you feel welcome and special from the minute you walk in the door. I can't tell you enough how special they made my day - even arriving with a sparkler candle in my dessert and singing happy birthday to me.
I'm not sure how much the meal cost as I wasn't paying and we ordered extras which had supplements but I do know that the lunch menu is two courses for €18 and three courses for €23 and on Mondays and Tuesdays they offer 50% off the price off any full bottle of wine.
I'm not sure where else in Dublin you could get that standard of excellent food and service which is matched by excellent value.
We will definitly be making another visit to Les Freres Jacques!

• Visited September 2013