“Michelin Virgin”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Michelin Virgin”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I love food and love eating out but never really had the desire to eat in a Michelin establishment. Uncle booked a table so I guess I was on my way to my first Michelin star experience! Upon arrival were greeted at the entrance by a lovely hostess who was so kind to take our jackets. Our table was on the upper seating area of the restaurant along the railing which allowed us to look into the kitchen pass and watch dishes being plated up. The restaurant isn’t big but not small either, cosy like. I didn’t use the restroom but heard that there is only one cubicle for both men and women! James was our waiter for the evening and he looked after us well, true professional offering a top class service. There were four at our table and we decided to order from the a la carte except for Dad who opted for the fixed menu. Too be honest I have already forgotten what all the ingredients of each dish entailed but I took pictures of each dish so at least you can see them! There were four breads on offer this evening; Guinness and trickle (my favourite), Cranberry and almond, Sesame white bread, Tomato something (this one looked like a Danish pastry!). For wine we ordered a bottle of the house red (French). A nice wine full of flavour with soft tannins.

To start we had an amuse bouche of Tomato Gaspacho.
***
Following this our starters – Mine: Tuna Carpaccio, Uncle: Seared Duck Liver, Cousin: Duck Breast, Dad: White Asparagus Volute with morels
***
A lovely refreshing Ice Tea Sorbet followed to cleanse our palettes.
***
The mains! – Mine: Lamb (Absolutely divine, nice tender pink pieces and really juicy! I think it was cooked sous-vide) Ding: Turbot, David: Pork Belly, Dad: Chicken Supreme. The mains came with Buttered Baby Potatoes and Broccoli served in little baby copper pots.
***
Followed by an unexpected pre-dessert of mini Banoffi pie!
***
Dad had the fixed menu but was allowed the choice of having anything from the dessert menu, very nice gesture. We were all quite full so we decided to share a cheese platter. A lovely selection of artisan French and Irish cheeses; containing both soft and hard served with homemade crackers.
Tea, Coffee & Petit Fours

The overall evening was very enjoyable, excellent company, great food & wine, lovely atmosphere and top service. Sallyanne popped over for a chat and shared a few interesting stories. However I don’t think I’ll be eating in Michelin restaurants too often as at the end of every meal came the bill! *OUCH* However if you have never been I’d recommend you try L’Ecrivan, I mean hey we only live once :)

• Visited June 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
“Pricey but worth it”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Another place I love, food is amazing but I wish it offered better value for money. Great location too.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank GG159
“faboulous”
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Very good tasting menu , with a good wine choice,
nice atmospere
suberbe

• Visited May 2011
Canberra, Australia
“The food and service are not 1 star”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We took friends here for a special thankyou dinner and it was a terrible evening spoilt by uncooked entree of Risotto. We sent it back and the second time it was still uncooked but as we had guests we did not complain the second time. The waiter kept leaning over us to take plates and glasses from the opposite side of the table. Definetly not trained in a star restaurant! The rest of the food was only average except for the Duck which was good. Almost every waiter that walked past my chair bumped into it and there was not one apology all evening. Table was too close to another. What was even more embarrasing to us was that our friends actually said that they also found the restaurant not up to standard.

• Visited April 2011
4 Thank passyparis
London
“The best meal in Dublin”
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Ate here on a saturday night and the food was outstanding. We had the a la carte option rather than the tasting menu but between courses we were served an amuse bouche as well as a sorbet and a pre dessert which was a banoffie style pudding. The beef for main course was cooked to perfection and the veal perfectly pink. The staff were thoroughly attentive and knowledgeable especially the sommelier who's winepairing with our dinner was fantastic. This is a great restaurant for a special occasion and would definitely recommend it. It is not cheap but as a special occasion well worth t.