“Used to be great but on the slide.”
Review of Bu-Ali

Ranked #2,055 of 2,558 Restaurants in Dublin
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be great but on the slide.”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have always loved Bu Ali. It is our local Indian and has for years been really good. To put this in context we have ordered maybe thirty times in the last few years.
I am not sure what has happened recently. Our last meal was practically inedible, but tonight decided we would give it a go again as it's overall history has been good.
Firstly the food took over an hour which would be OK if they had said there would be a delay when the order was taken (which they did not)
The food then arrived stone cold without any sauces or dips which they have always supplied.
They also gave the incorrect rice.
The curries were very short on meat and had no veg, which previously they had.
I rang to complain and the excuse they gave was that they were busy, as opposed to remedying the situation. They did however, offer to deliver the dips which unfortunately fell short in remediating the situation.
I am really disappointed because I like them and I want to support local businesses, but they have unfortunately gone downhill badly.
I hope they get back on track but I won't find out myself as won't be ordering again from them.

• Visited November 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Great to find a tasty Halal take-out.”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Just discovered this outstanding take away in April and feel the need to spread the word. I have lived in and around the Clanbrassil Street area for years but never considered trying Bu-Ali until a friend recommended it. Don't be discouraged by the minimalist decor, and quirky back-lit Architectural pictures from Mecca, the food speaks for itself. Wonderful Onion Bajis, Homemade yoghurt for their Raita and richly spiced Lamb Achar Curry are my personal favorites.

While many Indian establishments mask lack of depth of flavour by relying on dairy enrichment of sauces, Bu-Ali's currys are fiery, flavoursome and mouth-watering fare. Though there are some creamy currys on the menu, the best are the simple tomato-based ones.

This is certainly not the typical Indian the Irish consumer has become accustomed to. I often find Irish Indian's to be predictable and disappointing. Bu-Ali is definitely not the norm for Dublin Indians, and will undoubtedly not please those whose palates are familiar with the consensus that has become Ireland's Indian food scene.

I am partial to a good Naan bread, but unfortunately this is not one of Bu-Ali's strongpoints.

The staff are fantastic. Great sense of humor and plenty of banter out of all of them. Now one of my top choices to get take out, or if I am feeling a little bit of housebound cabin-fever, they offer some seating on site.

Great value in my opinion, as Bu-Ali is definitely cheaper than its main competitors in Bombay Pantry.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank cianoconcubhair
“unimpressed”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

went there for a take home treat after work. Food was really bland and tasted microvaved. They packaged it badly so it spilt everywhere and wrecked my work clothes on the breif trip home. On getting home and cleaning it all up off suit, it was unenjoyable.

• Visited May 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Indian takeout. Was the...”
Reviewed 19 December 2007

Indian takeout. Was the first in town but got over taken by others.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook