“I've been unhappy with my shanahans visits in the past but recently changed my mind!”

Shanahan's on The Green
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanahan's on The Green is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #248 of 2,638 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$60 - US$119
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Description: American Style Steakhouse and Seafood Restaurant featuring Certified Irish Angus beef and the freshest seafood and produce from Ireland's local bounty. Shanahan's ethos is simple and sophisticated. Your experience begins upon arrival. Enjoy an aperitif in the Oval Office bar. Take a moment to inspect the impressive collection of memorabilia adorning the walls. Each item commemorates the U.S. Presidents with an Irish connection or ancestry. Marvel at the bar's centrepiece, JFK's rocking chair from Air Force One. Dining in Shanahan's is a delight. The elegance of the food and service, is maintained in perfect harmony with the warmth, which personifies the Shanahan's team.
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I've dined in shanahans several times before but as a non meat eater I was never impressed - and my view was well its a steak house and you don't eat steak so stop moaning !!

However I was back last week & enjoyed the early bird so much I had to share my review / view with you

I was on the early menu ,, I can't say enough good things about the bread selection, the trio of smoked salmon, the fish main & the cheesecake dessert ,, able to handle food allergies which meant an even better night,, and the early menu is only 45 euro & offers 3 choices x 3 courses ,,, Well worth a trip ,, for the cake alone !!

There are newer reviews for Shanahan's on The Green

Reviewed 25 February 2013

You know we don't open for lunch any day but Friday, sir offered the hostess.
I didn't really know how to take this little gem of information so quipped "Well it's lucky for me it's Friday".
I tried not to sound like an idiot, I really did but failed miserably.
Perhaps this was a cunning acid test of the clientele but what really unsettled me was the warmth of the reception after my comment.
The staff gave each other a knowing smile as if to say "It's OK,everyone chill out..he's an idiot".

After I was ushered to the downstairs bar it became apparent that this was no ordinary eatery.
Having worked in hospitality for more years than I'd like to remember I know only too well the manic signs of obsession exercised by high end joints.
The carpet was hoover to Wimbledon lawn precision. I mean there was a uniform hoover pattern for Gods sake.
I would have loved to see the hoovering instructional chapter in the SOP manual.
Actually screw the manual. I would have loved to see the poor guy moonwalking the hoover across the carpet to cover his tracks!

Although the bar was empty at 12:45 you could see that it was highly maintained.Everything was laid out to precission.
Tables and chairs at a 90 degree angle, Napkins on bar at a 90 Degree angle to the wall, Hand towels in bathroom reverse folded at a 90 degree angle to the wash basin.
A quick trip to the gents confirmed that the owners of Shanahans suffered severely from OCD. I was impressed.

My company arrived and we took our table. Within roughly 1.66 seconds of opening the menu I had blown my cover as a peasant.
A €48 (unaccompanied) steak was enough for me to expel an involentary wheeze/cough combination.

My fellow diner instantly sensed my discomfort and pointed me in the direction of the set menu at a more reasonable €50 for 3 courses.
It's amazing how €50 for 3 courses looks like amazing value when you've just seen the A la Carte offering.

I started with the Oak Smoked Irish Salmon with a Giant Blini, Créme Fraíche and Caviar. The Blini was gently warmed and there was a generous but not obscene
serving of caviar.

Main consisted of Petit Filet (6oz) Steak with Creamed Spinach and French Fried Onions. Possibly the best cooked steak I've ever eaten.
My brave comerade chose the New York Strip Sirloin (8oz / 227g) which instantly supplied me with overwhelming food envy.
The house Syrah was an excellent accompaniment to our mains.

Desert came in the form of Pavé of White and Dark Chocolate, Winter Berries and Whiskey Sabayon which was a rare treat.

I pittied the other diners. While we were there to have a bit of banter the other diners were busy weaving webs to each other to secure property deals.
The Haw,Haw Haw laughter at jokes with no punchline, The uneasy fumbling of misused cutlery.
One poor dinerr beside our table looked like a dog at mass..Delighted to be around people but not a clue what all the pomp and ceremony was about.
He dropped his servette before communion and when the waiter asked him if he would like another I half expected him say "Another servette? No you're grand. I'm full"

Bill including 2 x set menus, Bottled Water, 3 x glasses of wine and a Gin & Tonic came to €170.
It was the best lunch I've ever eaten in Dublin.
Thank God they're only open on a Friday for lunch.
Thank God he insisted in paying..

9  Thank BaronCotter
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My girlfriend treated me to dinner in Shanahan's - somewhere I have always wanted to visit, for my birthday, and what a treat it was. From the moment you enter the place just oozes class and luxury. The staff are all very polite and well trained, giving perfect service on every occasion.

The upstairs dining room is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The bread that was brought out was literally just out of the oven and tasted amazing. Everything we ate was perfectly cooked and the onion strings in particular were incredible.

To top off a perfect evening, we were presented with 2 glasses of Persecco compliments of the restaurant which i felt was a lovely touch. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

It might be a little more expensive than other restaurants in Dublin but the early bird set menu is fab. I could not fault the food, portion size or service - excellent!
Would highly recommend

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Had been in Shanahans several times with business colleagues I visited this time with my wife and son who's studying at UCD We arrived early and had drinks in the Oval Office downstairs The walls are decorated with past US Presidents and they have JFKs Rocking Chair. We were shown to our table upstairs and using my previous experience we didn't have any starters
We were served the traditional Shanahans crusty loaf sliced at the table It's filled with herbs and cheese and is to die for! It comes with a chilli infused scone
My wife had the Petit Fillet I had the Filet Mignon and my son (silly boy) had the New York Strip accompanied by French Fries Whipped potatoes and chives and Shoestring Onions ( you will gasp at the portion sizes) We all agreed the steaks were up there with the best we've ever eaten but in the end had to admit defeat
My son was given a doggy bag with a fresh loaf when the waiter overheard he was a student! Lol!
Total bill including wine and drinks was circa €250 so not your every night dining venue brt as a one off special treat I couldn't recommend it highly enough