“Tasty. Good for Celiacs ”

Shanahan's on The Green
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanahan's on The Green is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #244 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$60 - US$119
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Description: American Style Steakhouse and Seafood Restaurant featuring Certified Irish Angus beef and the freshest seafood and produce from Ireland's local bounty. Shanahan's ethos is simple and sophisticated. Your experience begins upon arrival. Enjoy an aperitif in the Oval Office bar. Take a moment to inspect the impressive collection of memorabilia adorning the walls. Each item commemorates the U.S. Presidents with an Irish connection or ancestry. Marvel at the bar's centrepiece, JFK's rocking chair from Air Force One. Dining in Shanahan's is a delight. The elegance of the food and service, is maintained in perfect harmony with the warmth, which personifies the Shanahan's team.
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent service and outstanding food. My wife is celiac and was delighted when they served her freshly made gluten free bread still hot.

There are newer reviews for Shanahan's on The Green

Reviewed 30 July 2014

You can't beat the location on St. Stephens' Green but that is just the beginning of the story. The bar is superb and features JFKs' rocking chair as a backdrop. The food is classic steak house and done to perfection. The service is even better. Can't miss if you can afford it

Reviewed 15 July 2014

As usual - fabulous steaks. Have eaten here several times and its expensive but a lovely treat.

This was our first time to order starters and dessert and next time I don't think I would bother. One of our group ordered the Cesar salad which came with no dressing and was just a plate full of lettuce with minimal cheese and croutons. Another had mussels which were very salty. For dessert the tirimasu was very tasteless.

Staff were very friendly though and service was great!

1  Thank Felicity R
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A few of us treated ourselves to lunch in Shanahans recently - it was a place that we'd long wanted to check out. Even as a vegetarian, I've long been curious about it even as a building.
When making the reservation, we did check that the veggie at a steakhouse wouldn't be left to starve - not to worry they assured us, anything I liked I could get. As long as it's not risotto - I said, and we cheerfully booked.
On the day, we were shown to a lovely table near the front, so we could see all the passers-by heading back to work while we wondered what to get for a pre-lunch drink.
Some bread straight from the oven arrived. It was amazing. I could happily have had nothing but that bread all day.
Starters were nice - our group had smoked salmon or soup - nice but not special.
I asked what the veg option was for main, and the first thing the waiter said was risotto. Yikes! Or pasta? Or goats cheese tartlet? Not very imaginative. Vegetarians see these options everywhere. ( do chefs not like veggies using both fork and a knife - is that why we get risotto/pasta? is there no other cheese that chefs can think of other than goats cheese? - Sorry, I digress...)
I went with the goats cheese and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed - It was very good and also, a main course size portion.(or possibly it was 2 starters - either way I didn't mind, there was lots of food!)
All the others liked their steaks, though one commented that it might have been nice to have the choice to have the jus on the side rather than automatically over the steak.
The onion rings were completely moreish, and there were loads of veg, pototoes and mash. Loads. We were completely defeated - very sad not to be able to finish everything, but probably wise to leave some room for deserts, which were good.
We'd had a very leisurely time, so they needed the table back so they could get it ready for dinner. They nicely noved us to the oval room downstairs - a perfect place to chill out after a fine meal.
Service was good, attentive without being intrusive. We really enjoyed our afternoon - though I expect our bank acocunts mightn't have!

3  Thank VeggieMar
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

It's been about eighteen months since I had been to the restaurant. I loved it. Not so much this time...

The Oval Office Bar was totally empty. Service was good, but a glass of champagne at that price was just silly.

The Caesar salad was ok. Just ok.

The New York steaks were not cooked to order and sending them back was too much of a hassle. Brown sauce on American style New Yorks? Come on. Spinach was good even though my wife that it was so so.

Dessert was ok.

Damn. I wanted to like it better.

2  Thank PortolaValleyLMS