“Mixed experiences”

ely bar & brasserie
Ranked #277 of 2,616 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Cuisines: Irish, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A stunning destination for the lovers of food, wine and beer. In a 200 year old tobacco and wine warehouse, ely bar & brasserie offers everything from a relaxed family dinner, pre-theatre menus, private dining rooms, Saturday brunch and after work drinks. Our classic bar and brasserie menu reflects the best of seasonal Irish produce - organic where possible, with all meats sourced through our family farm in The Burren, Co Clare.
Dublin, Ireland
“Mixed experiences”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We live close by the area and have popped in here a few times for a few drinks. I even recommended it for a work event recently and over 100 of my colleagues attended. Food and service that night was spot on. The atmosphere was great and feedback from everyone was very positive. I was looking forward to a return visit but my last 2 visits have been poor to say the least. On a Saturday evening myself and a friend called in for a glass of wine and a chat. My boyfriend joined us but wanted a light bite to eat as he had been at the Leinster rugby game. We asked if it was possible to order something light and were told we could do so from the bar menu, there was only high tables upstairs so we were told we could take the menu downstairs and sit in the bar area. After sitting there for a few minutes we enquired with the waiter and he said it was not possible to order as the kitchen was closed. When we explained the guy upstairs told us we could he said he was new and didn’t know what he was doing and sent us back upstairs telling us he would make up a selection of cold meats and cheeses. So he gave us a seat and we went to order wines. I asked for the wine menu by the glass which they kept insisting was in the main book but after a look by me and two other waiters it was not to be found. I explained it is normally kept behind the bar but they kept insisting on looking. So after wasting 15 minutes I simply asked for a French wine I normally get there. After finally settling down out came the food, enough to feed an army. Our mis of cheeses and meat had turned into 2 giant platters. We said we only needed one and sent another back. We had another glass and a chat and got the bill. The extra platter of cheeses was on it. At this stage we were laughing at the series of mix ups, it was beginning to feel like faulty towers. Last Saturday with the sun shining we decided to give it another shot and pottered down around 2.30pm. We took a seat outside, waited and waited and waited with at least 3 waiters walking past us not even looking at us or the dirty table we were seated at. Eventually 15 minutes or so later I got up and asked a waiter to be served and he explained they were closing this area but we could move to the other area if a seat becomes available. I was fed up waiting and couldn’t deal with another round of shoddy service so we took our custom elsewhere. Having spoken to a few people about the place it seems many others have experienced the slow service and the venue seems to crumble under pressure. I love this building, the selection of wines and the food on occasion has been good but there slow service and huge lack of attention to details sorely lets them down. I will be slow to return to this one. There is a buzzing restaurant scene in Dublin and poor service is something that most people will not tolerate. they need to up their game a little.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Men-rui
Leo V, General Manager at ely bar & brasserie, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Men-rui,
Thank you for taking the time to review our venue. We always appreciate and strongly take on board all our customers feedback. Please accept our apologies for the poor service you received from us on both occasions.
We work very hard to maintain and improve our normally high standards of service but it seems that we fell short and let you and ourselves down. Please rest assured that all of the points you have raised will be addressed and rectified.
I am glad that the feedback from your colleagues on a previous visit was very positive and I am sure that given the opportunity again, we would happily provide you with the ely experience you should have had for each visit.
Once again, sincere apologies,
Kind Regards,
Leo

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Mo i Rana, Norway
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This was a great overall experience, with excellent food, a good wine menu at a comfortable price level.
We chose to sit at in the historic cellar. Great atmosphere benite the old stone vaults. The place was exquisitely decorated. Our waitress, Alicia made the evening a great experience, so a special thanks to here.

Riverside, California
“Great food, great location”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Docklands in Dublin (just like in London) have been revived with a lot of new business, clubs and restaurants. Old buildings have been modernized without loosing their old touch. Ely is one of those old buildings. It's a great place to hang out, meet people, have a drink and the food is fantastic.

Visited May 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Mr”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Just had a lunch and was very good,great menu,amazing food, quick service, lovely and professional staff. Will come back..

Llucmajor, Spain
“Great atmosphere!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Whilst there was a large and lively crowd upstairs and outside, the extremely impressive vaulted cellars were less busy which allowed for good conversation without having to shout all the time!
Excellent food, even our vegetarian in our party was served to perfection: the chicken whisked up a vegetable curry wich was delicious!
Great fish and meat for mains, wonderful starters.
Good selections of bottled wines!
very recommendable place!