“Exceptional restaurant”

Cuisines: French, Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Meeting friends on a Saturday and we dined at Bistro One, in the village of Foxrock in South County Dublin. A thoroughly enjoyable evening. Wonderful atmosphere, excellent menu that delivered beautifully, and attentive and friendly service from start to finish. We’ll be back.

2  Thank Gerrri99

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Gorgeous food and very pleasant staff. Such a lovely cosy restaurant. Only there once but will definitely be back. Great variety on menu too. Glad I found it.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Visited this restaurant after a game of golf nearby. It is situated upstairs over a shop and is very cramped. It was full the night we were there and it looked like extra tables had been shoved in to accommodate the crowd. I had salmon which was rather overcooked and dry. Expensive for what it was.

3  Thank BettyLinn
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Recently visited with friends.
Very efficient service and good food at reasonable prices.Fixed and a la carte menus very good value.Will certainly return.
While I can see space is a problem the lack of an area to meet for a comfortable pre-dinner drink is a gap.
Billy

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I find it a little difficult to make up my mind about this restaurant which is based in the heart of Foxrock Village in South County Dublin. The restaurant is situated upstairs on the first floor and is spacious and bright. The food is generally good, well-prepared and the staff are pleasant but there are some things that bother me. For example my table cloth was badly set and it was full of creases and marks from the crockery. My chef-friend Pierre, who worked in a Michelin star restaurant in Paris would not tolerate any creases at all. The cloths were rolled after ironing, not folded. However we are not in this league here just yet.
All the dishes, starter, main course and dessert were placed on dishes I consider to be inappropriate for the type of food being served. These dishes are like large soup bowls and I have to say that the food looked generally unappetising on them. A little bit more attention and variety would go a long way here.
I started with the Parfait of Duck Liver and Foie Gras. This was good and served with a warm toasted bread. This was followed by the Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas. Again it was served on a bowl type dish. The fish which was good was served in a light batter but there was a slight taste of the oil from the dish which tended to spoil the otherwise good quality fish. The desert came in (you guessed it!) a soup type plate.
The wine was expensive, I thought at €8 for a 25cl mini carafe. However it was a good French Sauvignon Blanc which could have been a little colder given the hot August day that I visited.
All in all it was mixed experience. I had heard a lot of good things about this place over the last year or two and to find that my first visit had bordered on the disappointing was a bit of a let down. The points that I have made here are in fact all quite small ones but they are the ones that tend to make a difference between a good experience and a mediocre one. I am reminded of the phrase “genius is the art of taking pains”. The bill for a three-course lunch for one with a mini-carafe of wine came to just under €37. Will I be back? That remains to be seen. Maybe.