“Introibo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of James Joyce Tower & Museum

James Joyce Tower & Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum housed in a seaside tower that inspired the setting of the first chapter of Ulysses; features memorabilia and a fantastic view of the coast and the surrounding countryside.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Introibo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having parked near the Forty Foot, I spiraled my way up to the tower and museum, which has a delightful staff and tremendous displays. I then spiraled my way from the magazine to the roof, where I was delighted to peer out to sea and share scenes once familiar to two favorite authors.

• Turkish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“James Joyce Tower and Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A martello tower in a beautiful setting. The excellent guide was most knowledgeable and humorous and made the visit a most memorable experience and........it's free! The narrow steps were a bit hairy but worth the climb. It made me want to finish Ulysses!

Paris, France
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“For Fans of Joyce”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

And I was one in my younger days. Now I mainly enjoyed the view, and wondered how the protagonists ever got up to the roof via the impossibly narrow staircase. I too did manage it ;-)

1 Thank Lisa B
Adamstown, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Interesting museum in historic Martello Tower”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Best view in the area from the top of the tower. Very helpful, eager volunteers are delighted to give tours or let you browse the museum on your own. Be careful of the steep, narrow winding steps up the tower! Lots of interesting James Joyce letters, photos, books, memorabilia.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kathy C
lancashire
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We have walked past the tower plenty of times, and knew a little of it's history...so I was excited, at long last, to be able to go inside. We were greater by two ladies, who gave us a brief intro, and were welcoming..we were free to wander around and look at the many artefacts and literature about james Joyce. A great asset to sandycove and don't forget to leave a donation...whatever the size.

Visited April 2014