“A real Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
cardiff
“A real Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We turned up to Dublin without a reservation and having found a few hotel chains full we ended up here assuming it to be of a limited standard but were really impressed. The staff were lovely and very friendly and the barman could not do enough to make our stay relaxing. The room was lovely and the bed was really comfy. This was our first night on a tour of Ireland and we stayed in many different places and this was one of the best, under stated but warm and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clarebearcardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My daughter, her friend and I were visiting family in Dun Laoghaire for three nights and they recommended our staying at the Rochestown Lodge Hotel. We booked two rooms here for our stay and were absolutely delighted with our experience.

Although the normal check-in time is at 3 pm, we arrived from Dublin Airport just after 9 am and were welcomed warmly to our rooms at that time, with no surcharge added. This was wonderful for us, as we were exhausted from our overnight trans-Atlantic trip and in need of a shower and a bit of rest. We found our rooms to be immaculate and quiet throughout our stay.

During our time at the hotel, we went to the restaurant each morning for breakfast and also had one dinner there. Each time the service was efficient and courteous. We also stopped into the lounge regularly and the service there was very good as well. One evening, well after food service was over, we asked the bartender if there was any chance of getting a bite to eat. He immediately and cheerfully offered to prepare us sandwiches, although he was certainly under no obligation to do so. This was much appreciated and typical of the staff's concern for their guests' satisfaction.

I would also like to compliment the lovely ladies at reception, who were most helpful with our needs and questions, in addition to greeting us throughout our stay with big smiles and concern that we were enjoying our stay to the fullest.

I am looking forward to using the Rochestown Lodge Hotel for my future visits to Dun Laoghaire, as well as recommending it to family and friends. It represents both great value as well as service not often experienced in this day and age.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ed H
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I needed to be in Bray early on a Thursday so stayed at the Rochestown Lodge in Dun Laoghaire in late November. The hotel was easily found just off the M50 and I was shown to a nice room by an attentive and helpful receptionist. Owing to the early start I was not up for heading out to eat so instead ate in the hotel restaurant adjacent to the bar. There was only one other person eating at the time so it was a bit off putting but I had a good book so settled down with a pint to relax. I was very pleasantly surprised with both the quality and presentation of the food, it was delicious, I am not a foodie per se but the chicken in pepper sauce was to die for.
My room was very comfortable and was at the back of the hotel so I had a great nights sleep, I discovered however in the morning that the door closer on my room door was not working properly, as a result the door had been partially open all night! I suppose I should and could have checked before retiring but there you go.
I read some poor reports about the Rochestown prior to booking but I cannot find fault with either the accomodations offered of the food provided. If required I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back away from the main road.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Roscommon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed at the Rochestown Lodge as I was visiting relatives close by. The receptionist on check in was efficient and friendly. The room was small but clean and temperatures were perfect. Room was situated to the back of hotel and it was the quietest hotel room I have been in for years. We dined in the bar, while the service was slow the food was top class - it was worth the wait. Breakfast was perfect and service was good.
On departure through my own fault I left some items behind me and I telephoned the hotel. Within a few minutes all was sorted, the receptionist arranged that the items would be posted back to me and I reimbursed the hotel the postage. The efficiency and mannerism was 100%. I would definitely recommend and return to this hotel..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Servant100
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for a weekend recently as my usual south Dublin hotel was fully booked. Having read reciews of the hotel on tripadvisor I was rather nervous but found the hotel to be perfectly fine. I stayed with my sister and our rooms were perfectly adequate, clean warm and quiet.

We had a couple of drinks in the bar one evening and as previous reviewers have noted, it does attract a rather random crowd, but we had a perfectly nice, quiet drink before bed.

The staff on check-in and throughout our stay were superb. We were visiting an ill relative in hospital, overnighting at the hospital on occasion, and our rooms were kept open indefinatley for us, we just renewed as and when. On one occasion the staff thought we looked so tired that they decided not bother us by asking if we wanted to keep our rooms. On our final day we checked out late and the staff apologised to us for asking if we intended staying!

Rochestown Lodge isn't a 5 star hotel and it doesn't pretend to be one, but 'it does what it says on the tin' well at reasonable prices. Its staff are without a doubt its greatest asset.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Rochestown Lodge Hotel is situated on Killiney Avenue (previously known as the Victor Hotel and totally renovated many years ago to the Hotel it is today and boasts all the luxuries of any top class hotel, Spa, Swimming Pool etc,)
The food is excellent and highly recommended, a great place for family gatherings, celebrations etc, the only complaint that I’d have is that ( and it’s with many other places , is French fries, French fries should be served in fast food joints like Mc Donalds, and an effort should be made to peel some spuds and cook decent chips)
The Clam Chowder is the best I’ve ever tasted, and a meal in it’s self, all manner of meals have been excellent, deserts etc
The main lounge has many T.V screens, and hosts music some nights of the week, the local amenity is a pitch and putt course a short walk away, however it’s seasonal, only open during the summer months.
However there’s a number of local bus services that can bring you to Dunlaoire, Bray, or into the City centre
Killiney Shopping Center is about a half mile away
There’s no problem with parking, as it has underground parking

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was the worst Hotel I stayed in after touring Ireland and the most expensive. It ended up as our last stay on our trip and left a bad felling about Ireland. We arrived to be told to park our car in the lower car park were we would find a lift to our rooms, unfortunately it was out of order so we had to walk all the way outside and back up to reception. The tap on the sink had become unscrewed and was flopping about. The room was of a poor standard. At breakfast there was one waitress. several tables were still to be cleared. There were no bowls on show and little in the way of rolls or any other edible foods , we constantly had to ask for items. The fee for the breakfast was cheaper on the menu than we prepaid. Which we were not particularly politely told that they could do nothing about it. It seemed that we were nothing but an inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,481 reviews

Been to Rochestown Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!