“great hotel to visit”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Limerick, Ireland
“great hotel to visit”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

we have stayed at the rochestown lodge hotel about 5 times. from the check in to our departure each time we are made so welcome. this hotel has a brilliant leisure centre which adds to the hotel. the food there is fresh and well presented. the bar staff are very friendly and there is entertainment in the bar at weekends. i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOAN O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Disappointing Weekend Break

My partner and I stayed here over the St Patricks bank holiday weekend, purely to escape the hussle and bussle of Dublin city. We arrived on the Saturday, to Dun Laoghire dart station and a €10 taxi took us straight to the hotel.

First impressions from the outside were great, imposing nicely appointed hotel. But those impressions didn’t last very long. We made our way through automatic doors into a pretty dated carpeted lobby. The desk attendant who checked us in wasn’t particularly friendly and didn’t advise of breakfast offers, where the gym/spa was or the opening hours of the bar. I had to ask all of the aforementioned.

Made our way to our room, which was very clean, and relatively spacious. Good value for money as far as the room is concerned, and we were pretty happy. Couple of slight negatives
• No iron or ironing board in the bedroom, and when I called for reception for one, the desk attendant dropped a broken ironing board and one of the cheapest irons I have ever used to the room.
• There was no explair in the bathroom, we had to open a sliding window, so as such if we were to shower the steam inevitability came into the room.
• No air-conditioning
• Very old television, few channels, many of them not working

Breakfast on the Sunday was very poor really, service was very good and prompt but the selection on the buffet table was very poor and when we asked for anything extra for example beans, we were told they were not available.

I used the gym that afternoon which was fantastic, really well equipped and nobody else in there. The pool area was equally impressive, clean and more than adequate. But another negative- the relaxation suite, which is included in our room rate, and widely advertised at both the hotel reception and in the room information, was closed and only open by appointment. This was very disappointing as my partner and I had only come for a weekend chill out.

We went down town for dinner and came back to the hotel for about 11. When we were leaving there was a function in the bar, and there were alot of children in the lobby- expected and my partner and I have no problem with this. But when we came back, the lobby was covered in rubbish, food, drinks glasses etc. And the receptionist sat at the desk doing nothing about it. We sat in the bar (where there were still children) and had a few drinks. The bar is nice, service was good and quick and the drink is reasonably priced. Out of interest we kept on eye on the lobby assuming that a manager might eventually turn up and ask someone to clean up, but no. Around 12 the receptionist turned on a hoover and returned to his desk! My partner and I asked him did he want us to hoover? He didnt find it funny!

In summary there are more negatives than positives and we will not stay here again.

I would recommend that the hotel get a new manager, or at least the manager should be more observant...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bryan O
Dublin
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I don't normally choose to eat lunch in hotels but the Rochestown Lodge was the nearest place to the NRH and suited to meet up from there.

I wanted something light and tasty so asked the waitress if I could have have the chicken goujons with salad rather than chips. To be honest I wasn't expecting much so was delighted when obviously home prepared and cooked goujons arrived with a heaped crispy selection of salad. Plenty of food for even the hungriest person. By the way my friends panini with chips and salad was also lovely. Tap water was delivered promptly and in good quantities.

The decor is a bit hard and dark but the goujons which were succulent made up for that! Staff were great.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank TheSecretMuncher
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here a few months ago for a week. The breakfast choices were very limited, service was slow and spent three quarters of an hour waiting to get dinner one night. The wifi signal was poor and kept cutting out. I can't comment on the pool as I forgot my pad lock for the lockers! Asked the leisure staff what the story was with them and he said you need to bring your own lock but he was kind enough to remind me that if I left my stuff in their locker unlocked it was at my own risk...?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had a family stay for 3 nights just after Christmas and occupied 2 rooms. We thought that the rooms and hotel were lovely and warm, festive and comfortable. All of the staff are very polite, accommodating and friendly. The restaurant is excellent; great food and generous portions especially breakfast! The spa was great and had everything we wanted and the bar area is also well run. I would definitely recommend this hotel especially if you have children. I think it also offers good value for the prices and we will definitely stay there again. If I had to make any recommendations I would suggest that the tea and coffee facilities included hot chocolate and biscuits.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Power2014
cardiff
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We turned up to Dublin without a reservation and having found a few hotel chains full we ended up here assuming it to be of a limited standard but were really impressed. The staff were lovely and very friendly and the barman could not do enough to make our stay relaxing. The room was lovely and the bed was really comfy. This was our first night on a tour of Ireland and we stayed in many different places and this was one of the best, under stated but warm and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clarebearcardiff
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My daughter, her friend and I were visiting family in Dun Laoghaire for three nights and they recommended our staying at the Rochestown Lodge Hotel. We booked two rooms here for our stay and were absolutely delighted with our experience.

Although the normal check-in time is at 3 pm, we arrived from Dublin Airport just after 9 am and were welcomed warmly to our rooms at that time, with no surcharge added. This was wonderful for us, as we were exhausted from our overnight trans-Atlantic trip and in need of a shower and a bit of rest. We found our rooms to be immaculate and quiet throughout our stay.

During our time at the hotel, we went to the restaurant each morning for breakfast and also had one dinner there. Each time the service was efficient and courteous. We also stopped into the lounge regularly and the service there was very good as well. One evening, well after food service was over, we asked the bartender if there was any chance of getting a bite to eat. He immediately and cheerfully offered to prepare us sandwiches, although he was certainly under no obligation to do so. This was much appreciated and typical of the staff's concern for their guests' satisfaction.

I would also like to compliment the lovely ladies at reception, who were most helpful with our needs and questions, in addition to greeting us throughout our stay with big smiles and concern that we were enjoying our stay to the fullest.

I am looking forward to using the Rochestown Lodge Hotel for my future visits to Dun Laoghaire, as well as recommending it to family and friends. It represents both great value as well as service not often experienced in this day and age.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Clayton Hotel Leopardstown
Clayton Hotel Leopardstown
#1 of 1 in Leopardstown
Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin

Been to Rochestown Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!