“Great value”

Rochestown Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have stayed at Rochestown hotel on several occasions. Overall it is great value for money. The hotel itself is clean and kept well. The staff are welcoming and accommodating. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. I have never had the opportunity to use the gym or swimming facilities however I have seen members come and go on a regular basis. I shall continue to use the Rochestown hotel when I visit Dun Laoghaire.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aoife G

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed one night with a group of sports ladies. Bedroom and bed very comfortable and good bathroom with plenty of hot water, although no plug in the bath. Top quality loo roll!! The evening meal was excellent and staff very good. The breakfast was disappointing. Only tinned grapefruit and peaches or cereal. There were apples. Tea and coffee were from a vacuum flask so the tea was very strong which I don't like. At our table we only wanted egg, bacon and tomato but it was all plated in the kitchen so when it arrived there was scambled egg, bacon, tomato, mushrooms and black/white pudding and sausage. When we had finished there was as much going back to the kitchen as came out of it, this was very wasteful.

Room Tip: This hotel is on a busy road so don't choose a room at the front as it is very noisy
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AHB549
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great friendly welcome.
Took upgraded bedroom which was spacious and spotless.
Had good meals in restaurant after which we adjourned to the bar , which was nicely crowded and in good humour.
Breakfast was cooked to order and served to our table and not the customary buffet style of most hotels.
A very comfortable and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading the bedroom.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WillieoReilly
Reviewed 7 April 2014

we have stayed at the rochestown lodge hotel about 5 times. from the check in to our departure each time we are made so welcome. this hotel has a brilliant leisure centre which adds to the hotel. the food there is fresh and well presented. the bar staff are very friendly and there is entertainment in the bar at weekends. i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOAN O
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Disappointing Weekend Break

My partner and I stayed here over the St Patricks bank holiday weekend, purely to escape the hussle and bussle of Dublin city. We arrived on the Saturday, to Dun Laoghire dart station and a €10 taxi took us straight to the hotel.

First impressions from the outside were great, imposing nicely appointed hotel. But those impressions didn’t last very long. We made our way through automatic doors into a pretty dated carpeted lobby. The desk attendant who checked us in wasn’t particularly friendly and didn’t advise of breakfast offers, where the gym/spa was or the opening hours of the bar. I had to ask all of the aforementioned.

Made our way to our room, which was very clean, and relatively spacious. Good value for money as far as the room is concerned, and we were pretty happy. Couple of slight negatives
• No iron or ironing board in the bedroom, and when I called for reception for one, the desk attendant dropped a broken ironing board and one of the cheapest irons I have ever used to the room.
• There was no explair in the bathroom, we had to open a sliding window, so as such if we were to shower the steam inevitability came into the room.
• No air-conditioning
• Very old television, few channels, many of them not working

Breakfast on the Sunday was very poor really, service was very good and prompt but the selection on the buffet table was very poor and when we asked for anything extra for example beans, we were told they were not available.

I used the gym that afternoon which was fantastic, really well equipped and nobody else in there. The pool area was equally impressive, clean and more than adequate. But another negative- the relaxation suite, which is included in our room rate, and widely advertised at both the hotel reception and in the room information, was closed and only open by appointment. This was very disappointing as my partner and I had only come for a weekend chill out.

We went down town for dinner and came back to the hotel for about 11. When we were leaving there was a function in the bar, and there were alot of children in the lobby- expected and my partner and I have no problem with this. But when we came back, the lobby was covered in rubbish, food, drinks glasses etc. And the receptionist sat at the desk doing nothing about it. We sat in the bar (where there were still children) and had a few drinks. The bar is nice, service was good and quick and the drink is reasonably priced. Out of interest we kept on eye on the lobby assuming that a manager might eventually turn up and ask someone to clean up, but no. Around 12 the receptionist turned on a hoover and returned to his desk! My partner and I asked him did he want us to hoover? He didnt find it funny!

In summary there are more negatives than positives and we will not stay here again.

I would recommend that the hotel get a new manager, or at least the manager should be more observant...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bryan O
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I don't normally choose to eat lunch in hotels but the Rochestown Lodge was the nearest place to the NRH and suited to meet up from there.

I wanted something light and tasty so asked the waitress if I could have have the chicken goujons with salad rather than chips. To be honest I wasn't expecting much so was delighted when obviously home prepared and cooked goujons arrived with a heaped crispy selection of salad. Plenty of food for even the hungriest person. By the way my friends panini with chips and salad was also lovely. Tap water was delivered promptly and in good quantities.

The decor is a bit hard and dark but the goujons which were succulent made up for that! Staff were great.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank TheSecretMuncher
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here a few months ago for a week. The breakfast choices were very limited, service was slow and spent three quarters of an hour waiting to get dinner one night. The wifi signal was poor and kept cutting out. I can't comment on the pool as I forgot my pad lock for the lockers! Asked the leisure staff what the story was with them and he said you need to bring your own lock but he was kind enough to remind me that if I left my stuff in their locker unlocked it was at my own risk...?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Clayton Hotel Leopardstown
Clayton Hotel Leopardstown
#1 of 1 in Leopardstown
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Been to Rochestown Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!