“A Very Nice B&B”

Lynden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 20 Dun Laoghaire B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed with Maria and Steve for four nights recently. We received a very friendly welcome from Maria by my first name which was a nice touch. We occupied a triple bedded room with en-suite facilities. The room was fine with a comfortable bed and tea/coffee making facilities and plenty of storage space. The bathroom should be described as compact but provided everything that we needed including a clean and efficient shower. Maria's breakfast table is something to behold! The choice of hot and cold food must surely satisfy the most discerning guest. Wifi is available throughout the house. Well done and thank you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gdn1947

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I'm a bit late with this review but I really must gush about this lovely old home and Steve and Maria. I stayed here in March of 2011, (not 2014 as TripAdvisor makes you pick a date range) a solo female traveler, celebrating my Paddy's Day b-day in Ireland. My flight arrived VERY early, I took the first bus I could and when I showed up on the doorstep before 8 AM, Maria, who I later realized was in the middle of creating her fabulous hearty breakfast, set me up with some much needed coffee, checked me into the only single room, and let me be while I passed out for a solid 8 hours. (Note: it's nice and quiet - I know I can't sleep that long in a city hotel) When I woke up at 3 PM, I walked the 5 easy minutes into downtown Dun Laoghaire to grab a sandwich and to buy a coat. It's a cute town and easy to navigate to the DART into Dublin. (The DART is super easy to use - buy one ticket, good till 11 PM and the stops are all announced.) I stayed here 4 nights while I did Dublin and the surrounding environs, and loved it so much I came back and stayed again before I left, instead in Howth as I had planned. Maria got me a card signed by some of her residents for my birthday and I also got a candle in my brown pudding on my birthday.
I was very emotional about leaving Ireland; I had such a wonderful time, and Steve and Maria were a part of that. Do not hesitate to stay here; just know the bathrooms are shared (as they are commonly all over Europe) and you may have to wait for the shower. Hottest shower I had anywhere in Ireland. My room was always tidy when I returned, and there is no curfew, you get your own key to the front door. That was quite nice as it meant I could stay out as late as I liked. I am dreaming of returning to Ireland and I will DEFINITELY stay here again.

Room Tip: The single room is quite small, but had a sink in the room and boatloads of closet room. It is also...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MkUpMaven
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at Lynden House two years ago, and our memories were so good we decided to return. We spent 4 nights at this beautifully decorated B&B, enjoying the best breakfasts we had during our entire 2-week stay in Ireland. Hosts Maria and Steve are charming and easy, helpful conversationalists. Dublin is a short DART train ride away, and the railway station is a 5-minute walk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked this Inn as we wanted to experience a true Irish Inn near the port. We were to travel to England by ferry the next morning. The House was wonderful. The room was large by Irish standards, (We have stayed at B&B's where you have to walk sideways to get around the room.) and the bed very comfortable. Maria and Steve are the perfect hosts. He took us up to the room and explained some workings of the room, not usual in America. The shower needs to be powered by the light switch for instance. Which, by the way had great water pressure, and a temperature that did not fluctuate.

The Inn is easy walking distance to the Dart, the Port, and a very nice town center area with lots of shops and restaurants. We checked in and walked the town center to the port to get our bearings for the walk to the ferry the next morning.

Since we were going to be leaving at the height of breakfast service, I thought it best to pay for the room when we returned from our walk. Maria caught my mistake immediately. The ferry was to depart from Dublin Port, not Port Dun Laoghaire as I thought I had chosen online. Sure enough, when I looked closer at the tickets, as she insisted I do, they were for Dublin Port! Thank goodness we had a hostess that cared about her guests! Our trip would have been very difficult, had we missed our Ferry, to say the least! She arranged our transportation the next morning, and as we were leaving before breakfast, she made sure we took some breakfast bars, fruit, snacks and water for the crossing.

We arrived as strangers, and left as friends. Cannot get that from a hotel.

TIP: You do not need a rental car to get to Lynden House. There is Airbus, a very nice tour bus service, that picks up at the airport on the hour and delivers to the Majestic hotel in Dun Laoghaire town center for a very reasonable rate. The Dart would be tricky to use, but can be done as well. But if you do get a rental be SURE to get the full insurance.

Room Tip: Our room looked over the street, and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb_H_815
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Great value for money bed & breakfast. Walking distance from the dart station. Fabulous breakfast, such a variety of food available. Nothing is too much trouble. Very friendly owners. Beautiful house. So comfortable & welcoming.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank judy c
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This B&B is located about 10mins from the DART station on a nice quiet road off the main drag. I arrived on a cold and damp night and the house was very warm and inviting. The room was clean and a good size with tea and coffee facilities, TV, a very comfortable bed and a good sized shower unit. Breakfast next day was enormous, I was just expecting the usual fry up, but was given porridge first followed by the fry up and loads of toast, there was also a big bowl of fruit, yoghurts and various types of bread of bread on the table. I had lots of running around to do that day and the breakfast saw me through, I didn't need to eat for the rest of the day !. Best of all was the host, she was so warm and friendly, felt like having your mum around but without the 'what time will you be home' bit. I'd def. stay there again. the price was great and I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gemma2320
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed 4 nights at Lynden in November. The weather was bitterly cold, but the house was warm and cosy. A lovely old Georgian house, in need of a little redecorating, but none the worse for that. Clean and comfortable with the nicest hostess I've ever known. Her breakfasts are wonderful and the table groans with baskets of fruit, yoghurt and bread. Quiet location but convenient for the shops and the Dart.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Ferry House Bed and Breakfast
Ferry House Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 20 in Dun Laoghaire

Been to Lynden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!