“Nice hotel in beautiful town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Menstrie, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel in beautiful town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Marine Hotel is a lovely hotel - great setting, very near the town centre and also just a short stroll down to the waterfront. The lobby and bars are lovely, however as with most hotels the wine was rather pricey (€8 for a glass of Pinot Grigio!). The rooms were great - very spacious and well kept with a huge bed! I would love to return :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear laurabeebs,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your nice comments on the hotel and I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon and enjoy the experience of the town and the waterfront again.

Thank you for your time and we hope to welcome you here again soon.

Aidan Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a lovely view of Dun Laoghaire harbour, the bar food is good value and the service is great. Handy for the train into Dublin city. Dun Laoghaire has a lot to offer, shopping, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear vveltom,

Thank you for sharaing your recent experiance at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was deligthed to read your nice comments about the hotel and service and I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed there a couple of times on business recently. When I needed to book the second time, the reception gave me a much lower rate than I could get booking through our corp site. Rooms are very comfortable and facilities great. Breakfasts a little lacklustre but otherwise very nice overall

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear NeilAitkenhead,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positve comments on the hotel and would welcome any points that you feel would improve our breakfast standards. We normally recieve much positive praise on the quality of our breakfast offering, much of which is documented in other reviews on this site.

I look forward to hearing from you if you would like to contact me at the hotel or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie.

I thank you again for sharing your recent experience of our hotel on Trip Advisor and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Lake Lucerne Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Good Points: Location, Friendly Staff, Great Breakfast Buffet, Resonable Prices, Very Clean.
Bad Points: Variable food standard,, Inability to control the room temperature - you either boil or freeze we could not make adjustments - it was either on or off...

Overall quite a good hotel but food in Hardy;s bar on one evening was appalling - probably due to an inexperiened poor chef. Staff tried their best to rectify poor food but we gave up as they said the steaks would all be from the same meat source - we just left our food and went elswhere. To be fair, the hotel did not charge us for the food but the evening was already spoiled. In contrast, the food was good the previous night and the breakfast buffet is the best I have had anywhere..

Room Tip: Don't use the hotel web-site to make a booking- it often does not work and if you book direct by...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank graham s
Dear graham s,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments and ratings on the hotel but but dissappointed that the food on one night did not meet with your expectations. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss this matter further to establish why this was the case. I can be contacted directly at the hotel or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie.

It is also possible to control the air con ditioning in all our guest bedrooms as all are individually air conditioned and controlled. I would like to investigate if there was perhaps a maintenance problem with your controller if you could contact me and let me know your room number.

I thank you again for taking the time to post your review and look forward to using your feedback contructively. I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed at the Royal Marine from 03/13/2012-03/18/2012, I fund the hotel to be neat, clean and safe feeling. The Staff was amazing except for one young lady who was quite rude when we asked her to have a mistake that the hotel made corrected . The other staff members were more than happy to help us out.
Breakfast was no worth the time or trouble of getting the vouchers. The dinner from Hardy's bar was quite good. The soups were amazing.
Located about 20 mins or so on the DART from Dublin, the location was perfect. Outside of all the craziness that is Central Dublin but close enough to get there in no time

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank afriendofthevivamaya
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here on a megadeal for Mothers Day. Have to say the view was amazing - the room spotless and very comfortable. The staff were very polite and helpful. The spa is beautiful and the treatment was great. What more can a body ask for??? Also i never realised (although i am a Dub) that there is great history attached to the hotel and Michael Collins stayed here in 1920. All in all a very enjoyable stay .

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pier - the view at night is stunning.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank carrocar
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear carrocar,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your nice comments about the hotel and our staff and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to our spa also.

Thank you for commenting and highligting some of the history of the hotel also.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the the Royal Marine for 5 days over the St. Patrick's Day holiday. The location is great, a bit outside the city but VERY easy to get right into Dublin on the DART. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The beds are very comfortable and overall well worth the price!
Most of the staff was very helpful and friendly, however, there was one woman who was pretty rude and dismissive. We had requested 2 single beds in both rooms and when we arrived there was one double. The other staff said it would not be a problem to separate the beds, however when we went to the desk to ask she refused. We were persistent and after making us wait about 25 minutes she finally called someone to separate the beds. She also yelled at us for using the wrong elevators when she didn't bother to tell us at check in which elevators went to our rooms.
Other than that though, the rest of the staff was very helpful in giving recommendations, ordering taxis, etc.
Also, after the first day we got breakfast outside the hotel. The breakfast there was not worth the price or the whole process of getting vouchers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear mexica08,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our stay with us and that you rated the hotel so highly in all areas. Thank you for highligting the ease of access that there is to the hotel by public transport and I am sure that this was very useful during your travels to the city for the St. Patricks day celebrations.

I was also dissappointed to read your comments on the receptionist that you allege yelled at you for using the wrong elevator. My staff do not yell or raise their voices in any way to our guests but I am sorry if this is the perception that you had of this. I apologise for this perception and would be delighted to discuss the matter with you further if you so wish. Please contact me on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie if you wish to discuss the matter with me directly.

I hope to hear from you soon and I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#6 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,273 reviews

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!