“1st class hotel”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Limavady, United Kingdom
“1st class hotel”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in October and really enjoyed our stay.When we arrived early to leave in our luggage the receptionist said our room wasn't ready just yet but we could have an ugraded room which was ready at no extra cost.We weren't expecting our room to be ready as we arrived about 10am and were only wanting to leave in our luggage.We were able to get into room and get freshened up before going downstairs again to get something to eat before getting the Dart into city centre.The hotel is close to Dart station which is about 5 min walk away and this takes about 20 mins to get into Dublin centre.We ate at the hotel on both evenings as food was good and reasonably priced Our room was very clean and comfortable and there was an ironing board which was great and much appreciated.The staff were brilliant really friendly and nothing too much bother .Only downside was weather wasn't great but we would like to go back again in Summer when hopefully no umbrella would be needed but we still had a great time

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackie M
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Jackie M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your nice comments on the hotel and location and I am sorry that the weather was not good here throughout your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the convenience of the Dart station and accessibility to the city centre and thank you for commenting on the quality and value for money of the food available in the hotel.

Thank you also for highlighting the efforts of our hard working staff and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again very soon.

Aidan Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Thank you for early access as I arrived at 6 am from the US. I really appreciated getting into my room early!

The hotel is cute, has a bit of history, but it could stand some updating. The staff was great, the location to my work and to DART was excellent.

It was clean and quiet which are my two biggest requirements when I travel.

Breakfast was included with the room. Great service. The food was just ok, but the coffee was terrific.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for all of your nice comments on the hotel and I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We operate a rolling programme of re-investment in the hotel and this has seen us complete a full refurbishment of the front entrance hall of the hotel and a full repaint of the exterior of the hotel in recent weeks. We have further plans to continue with other areas of the hotel in the coming months, yet we will still ensure that we retain the sense of history and character that is so important to the hotel.

Thank you for commenting favourably on the staff of the hotel and I do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Went to hotel for afternoon tea and a spa experience on a l&S voucher.
The spa visit was a half hour for a dry flotation experience.I enjoyed it but deffo not worth €40 which is the normal charge. Certainly didnt feel like I had 6 hours sleep..Went to use the pool and only in it when a lady in pool approached us and said we had to have hats on in pool. I think the receptionist should have given us hats for pool as we had to leave the pool area as we would have had to get dried and go upstairs from pool to get the hats.Possibly a good idea to leave a basket with hats at the side for guests use.
Afternoon tea was superb.We even left some behind us. Very tasty and well presented and no scrimping on same because it was a voucher deal. The bubbles was gorgeous and we had a nice afternoon people watching coming and going. Very relaxed afternoon. I will definitely return.The lady serving us from Hungary was very courteous and friendly.Think her name was Inga. She was gone when we were leaving at 6 or so and we didnt get to thank her.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Catherine086
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Catherine086,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to the Royal Marine Hotel to visit sansanaSPA and have afternoon tea with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to the spa and lounge for afternoon tea and I have certianly noted your constructive comments about your experience with us also.

Thank you for highligting the efforts of one of our hard working team members and I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a week-end break here and we were so impressed. It is so well located and only a short trip to the centre of Dublin (about 5 or 6 miles)., with plenty of buses and even a train (DART coastal route) for those without a car.

The staff were excellent - so helpful in their recommendations of where to go and eat in Dublin.

Our room was spacious, very comfortable bed, excellent shower, and very clean. So we had an excellent sleep each night. The breakfast next day was delicious with the best wheaten bread.

Certainly value for money, so when we are next in Dublin we will be staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IrishGuinness1690
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear IrishGuinness1690,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your positive comments on the hotel and pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for commenting on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

newbridge
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed at the Royal Marine as a guest on a Saturday.

Had a lovely lunch in Hardys bar, I had an open sandwich and husband had Cod and Chips food was really tasty and presented really well, the staff were very attentive and friendly. The open fire was cosy and there was a very relaxing ambiance especially on such a dreary day.

We had dinner in the Hotel and I have to say the service was excellent again and so was the quality of the meal.

The spa was a big surprise as it was really nice the pool area spotless and the changing rooms excellent, with beautiful products and all the mod cons including being able to dry our swimwear etc.,

Breakfast was good.

The location of this hotel is its biggest selling point also overlooking the port and near a vast array of restaurants along the waterfront you also have all the shopping needs catered for if you exit the hotel from Hardys bar.

Lovely night at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzdow
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear suzdow,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments on the food and service received in Hardys Bar and Dun Restaurant and for your nice comments on our Spa and Health Club areas also.

I look forward to sharing your comments with our team here and we hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the royal marine hotel in Dun Laoghaire recently and I have to say its a lovely hotel, well maintained, clean and spacious, I would recommend it to friends however perhaps I'd go back there again myself to experience it again before I do. As I said the place is lovely and well kept with underground complimentary parking however reception is a shambles, check in is from 3pm we arrived at 4.15 to check in we wer advised that there was a delay in rooms as they had a number of late check outs and that it wud be 20 mins no problem and we had requested a sea view which was €20 extra I told the gentleman I'd take the sea view and pay the €20 however if the other room was ready I'd take that instead he said I'd have to wait for both so 20 mins no probs wel take the sea view, we left our bags at reception and went to the bar for a drink, I left it 40mins then went to the reception desk to be told it wud be a further 15 mins.....fine but that's an hour not 20 mins went back to the bar and waited now after a busy day in Dublin and being 8 & a half months pregnant all i wanted to do was lie down but 15 more mins it wasn't the end of the world so after 15mins I went back to the desk to be directed to a Chinese gentleman who was frantic on the phone to housekeeping and he asked me to come back again upset at this stage I went to the loo cos I was feeling a bit upset and didn't want to go join my husband in the bar upset, so I finally went back 10mins later and room was ready I had to start giving the details I'd given the first guy over an hour before plus he wanted my credit card again to pre authorise a hold charge and got annoyed at me when I explained that I'd given that already and put in my pin...etc at this stage I think I was quite calm but just a little upset cos honestly it was just going on a bit anyway we got our much awaited room key and got the lift to floor 5 however wish they wud mention that there are 2 lifts serving different parts of hotel cos when ur heavily pregnant walking around looking for ur room ain't much fun, we had a lovely room (except for the no towels in the room issue which was swiftly resolved when I went down the corridor and found a lovely girl from housekeeping) Anyway our room was lovely and breakfast was really nice. We checked out at 11.30 and I'd hope that wud have been ample turnaround time for ppl checking into our room after us cos I'd hate anyone to go through the wait we did! Oh and noticed on my cc statement today that I paid a booking fee of €5, room rate was an autumn special of €78 but sea view was €20 extra so on check out I had presumed my €5 booking fee wud come off end total butte no it was €99 so €6 extra I paid not a big deal but it's lots of small things adding up really, slight improvement needed!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank daisydarlin
Dear pollygrimes,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read your comments about your check in to the hotel and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel on 012300030 or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie. Check in time at the hotel is from 2pm, however this does mean that rooms are also being serviced by our accomdation staff after this time and we do try and provide an accurate wait time for check in for anyone who does arrive before their room has been prepared fully. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this caused and hope to be able to look into this matter fully for you. We have three sets of lifts servicing the bedroom floors in the hotel and always provide directions to our guests with which is the correct lift to access the bedroom floors.

Thank you also for all of your nice comments on the hotel which we appreciate greatly and we will certainly take your feedback on board in a most positve and constructive manner.

I hope to hear from you again soon and would be delighted to personally assist you with your next planned stay in the hotel. We would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.

General manager
Enniscorthy, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is the fourth time for my husband and I to stay in the Royal Marine in the last two years -think that says it all about this hotel. Excellent location with its own private car park. We had no need to use car during stay as the DART station is only few minutes walk away and bus service into the city is also excellent and great value for a day pass. Staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean, comfortable and very warm. Even though the hotel was very busy when we stayed service and food at breakfast was excellent. We had dinner included in our package on one night and again food was very nice and we were looked after by a lovely, pleasant girl, sorry I dont know her name. Leisure centre is well worth a visit with the pool and changing area again very clean.There is building works going on across from hotel but this didn't effect our stay. We will be back and hopefully have a sea view next time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary D
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Mary D,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that this was your fourth stay with us in the past two years and that you enjoyed your stay with us so much once again. Thank you for your most positive comments on the hotel, the facilities and service provided and thank you for your comments on our hard working staff members also.

I look forward to sharing your comments with all of the team here and hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#3 of 151 in Dublin
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!