“Slightly mixed feelings - but mostly positive”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I did not get to see or use much of the hotel's facilities in my short visit - a couple of nights on business. Here are a few things I could comment on:
- location is great for walks (East Pier and a park nearby, with some nice restaurant within walking distance too. Easy to reach from the airport; 10 Euros and 40 minutes on a comfortable bus with WiFi
- the old wing is architecturally impressive, both the interior and the outside. However, if you get a room in the new block with the window looking into the internal yard you won't have much fun. OK, was not a problem for me as I don't spend much time looking out of the window of my hotel room :-)
- breakfast room is great, airy with nice views - partly spoiled right now by the building works outside. Breakfast itself is very nice, the staff attentive and fairly prompt. They do remind you tat you have more options than the buffet, and I recommend indeed ordering one of their omelettes.
- the room was perfectly satisfactory, clean and functional. I second someone's comment in this thread about mirrors - there not a singe one properly positioned for shaving. It's either not accessible at a close enough distance, or has no light next to it. Please work on the design... Also the towel rail collapsed in my room, same as someone observed already.
- WiFi in the rooms is free, well organised and pretty fast
- The gym is perfectly equipped and is highly commended
- If you are going to use the pool ( I did not have time) be warned - they insist on customers wearing flip-flops and swimming caps. Which can be bought from the hotel; I have not seen such rip-off activity anywhere in the world, does not go well with the image of Royal Marine.

Finally, I'd like to thank Agne and her colleagues in the accommodation team for prompt and efficient handling of the property left behind - it was mailed to me the next day and their efforts are greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vmilman
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear vmilman,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your positive comments on the hotel, from the location and rooms to the food and service you received at breakfast time and also your nice comments on our WIFI service and how your lost property was handled by my colleagues in our accommodation department.

I note your comment also on the wearing of flip flops on the pool deck area and we only insist on this in order to ensure that the safety and hygiene of the facility is maintained for all of our guests to the highest level at all times.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Aidan Ryan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,164)

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stay here regularly to visit family in Greystones. Hotel is generally very good with only a few niggles that the staff are happy to sort out without delay. If you book offers which include dinner it is excellent value for money. Very convenient for the dart so travelling around is very easy. Staff, especially in the restaurant, are lovely. Reception staff are also excellent. Looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear monkjojo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for commenting so favourably on the staff that you encountered in the restaurant and at our reception desk.

We hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Beautiful stay! Complimentary upgrade when we arrived back at hotel after stressful day Christmas shopping! Bed was absolutely amazing felt like sinking into oblivion! Comfy couches & large mirror with light-practical for us ladies! Meal in restaurant was beautiful. Staff quite scatty we were moved 3 times to faciliatate Xmas parties even though we had booked in advance! We ended up with a seafront window(very little of the sea anymore but a new building). Overall very enjoyable sleep! Stressful job so definitely the place for a hideaway!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear angestar,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for highlighting the comfort of our 'Pillow Top' beds.

I am sorry that you were relocated on a number of occasions and I would like to investigate this further if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel or on email at Aryan@royalmarine.ie.

I hope to hear from you soon and I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our second visit to the hotel.we where her two years ago and had a nice stay. As this was a special break I went for the sea view room and was slightly disappointed to find new built in the form of a library in front of the hotel. Shame on the local council for allowing this built this old hotel is the jewel in the crown of the area and to hide it away and spoil the view is a travesty.
We stayed on the older and wiser package what great value three nights bed and breakfast and three evening meals excellent value.
I would say that it is not worth paying for the sea-view room anymore,which is a shame.
The pool area is superb. The staff are excellent. Be aware that the restaurant is not open every night but when it's closed you can still get the same menu in the Harry's bar. Be aware of the strange waiter with a eccentric spence of humour nothing wrong with him at all just might come as a bit of surprise to the unaware!
The bathrooms are extremely cold we go over this by running the hair drier to warm it up.
We had another excellent stay and will be back. We would love to stay in the old hotel next time perhaps the manager would advise us how we could achieve that.
Thank you for a lovely break.

Room Tip: As the library build gets bigger the sea view rooms are no longer a good option. The thing to rememb...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Colin K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your second visit to the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments on the hotel, our facilities and services that you availed of.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally here at the hotel or on email at Aryan@royalmarine.ie if you wish to stay in the original building on your next stay in the hotel. I will be happy to assist you in organising this.

We hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

From the photographs I thought this was a new hotel, but it is a lovely old hotel steeped in history.
I would and did compliment the Laurel and Hardy bistro in the hotel and the Lobby bar menu as the food is a very high standard, and especially for people like me as vegetarian there was a nice choice. We couldn't get the main restaurant as it was fully booked but the meals in Laurel and Hardy were perfect for us. Staff were very nice and at night I'd go to the bar and get sandwiches made up to bring to our room and they were delicious and lovely helpful staff. Id agree the rooms in the new wing not as big as expected and pity about the new Arts Centre being built directly in front of the Hotel, which does take from the view from the hotel. One would wonder who grants planning permission for these things. Hotel pool nice but deep 1.2metre if you've children so bring a float. Breakfast in the mornings also very nice. One thing that always brings me back to a hotel is the food, which on holiday is important, and so this is one of the reasons from now on I will be staying in the Royal Marine when staying in Dublin. Its way cheaper alternative than paying the mad prices in the city centre and its easy access to taxi rank and bus. By the way lovely comfy bed and nice guy cleaning rooms. He even folded clothes and put toys away that my daughter had thrown all over the place. Free secure underground parking. A little tip, Lambert's Puppet Theatre Nearby and lovely treat for Children (even adults) and very funny. We were given a voucher on departure for a free night stay so Im looking forward to that which will make it a very economical stay. Thank You.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Triona_7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review of the hotel and facilities that you experienced.

Thank you for commenting so favourably on the food served in Hardys Bar and at breakfast time and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We have finally calmed down. Our Ruby Wedding anniversary, imagine 40 years, was ruined by staying in this hotel. We stayed Saturday 1st February. On booking I stated we were celebrating 40 years of marriage. Booked a double with sea view. When we arrived (the female who made our booking, checked us in, and also checked us out) gave us room 505 you could not swing a cat in it. 2 armchairs, chair at desk, a safe that you couldn't read as it was hidden between 2 lots of shelving. The mirrors were everywhere EXCEPT where you could apply your make-up. Black lampshades, everywhere. As for the bathroom, I have never been in a bathroom so, so, small. To get into the bath was a challenge. Oh!!! both my husband and I are extremely fit creatures. On Sunday 2nd February as my husband went to get the bath towel off the rail following a shower IT COLLASPED. Rails went everywhere.
Afternoon tea. This we would have liked when we checked in. However there were no seats available in the lounge. Apart from those marked reserved. We were told we could go into the OTHER bar. This was merely a corridor or passageway on into Hardy's bar. Yes Hardy's bar. A short cut through for people coming in and out from the town centre. We had a snack in Hardy's bar and made the decision that we would not be dining for dinner in this hotel.
There was live music that evening starting 10pm. Lovely guy, excellent music. BUT OH DEAR I asked my husband why all the ladies were up at the bar getting drinks while the men were sitting down. Just look he said. Staff were going to tables only after much attention. BUT the order was not arriving. It became the laugh of the night. We got talking to 3 other couples (not travelling together) and it was the same. The ladies had to queue for a drink. One couple got doubles to make life easier. Requesting a beer mat was such a bother. We were sitting in a passageway.
The following morning when checking out I mentioned all of this to the same female who kept repeating I'M SORRY. Again we made an attempt to have afternoon tea but the famous reserved sign was again very busy. No seats available.
This is a 4 star hotel. In appearance yes. The building itself from the outside is just magnificent. Shame about the standard. Shame about the attitude We always spent our wedding anniversary in Ireland (as we are both Irish) but our RUBY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY is definitely one to be forgotten.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank patrickfrances1

Dear patrickfrances1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments on the hotel and wish to explain a number of these points to you if I may. Your booking was made on the 19th January for a standard sea-view room on a room only rate. The room you were allocated was a standard sea view room in the original building of the hotel and I am disappointed that the room and bathroom were not what you expected. Our Bay Lounge area has nine small tables and we do take a small number of bookings for tables for afternoon tea in this area each day which means that the tables must be reserved. Otherwise, the tables are available on a first come, first served basis and I am sorry that a table was not available for you in this area on both occasions you wanted to sit there. Depending on availability, we certainly could have reserved a table for you if you had requested this.

The area that you refer to as a passage way or corridor is called our Atrium Lounge. Our Atrium Lounge tables are also available on a first come, first served basis and this area is a fully serviced lounge area with coffee bar, offering ample comfortable seating and plentiful natural daylight and a full snack menu which is the same as our Hardys Bar menu. This is a popular area of the hotel with hotel guests and locals alike and I would certainly describe it as much more than a corridor or passageway. This area does lead to Hardys Bar, which has a direct access onto the main street of Dun Laoghaire which you have pointed out. The majority of our guests find that this is a convenience when they wish to explore the town itself and I am sorry that you felt it was just an access route for people coming in from the town centre. Hardys Bar leads onto a cobbled lane that leads directly to the main street of the town and it is used for guests and locals patrons entering and exiting the bar itself and the hotel.

I will certainly investigate your comments regarding table service in Hardys Bar on the night of the 1st February as we do have ample floor staff on duty to fulfil this service. My colleague who checked you out on the morning of the 2nd February apologised to you for the inconvenience of the towel rail in your bathroom and your disappointment with your stay and offered to have one of my colleagues speak with you which you declined.

Our attitude towards guest service is very clear and we do adopt a hands on approach to do our best every day for our guests. I am disappointed that your stay was not to your expectations as you celebrated this special occasion here with us in Dun Laoghaire and I will endeavour to contact you directly to discuss your stay with you.

Thank you for your time and I hope that I will be able to contact you soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had a really good weekend at this hotel the rooms are big and nice and the staff are very nice and helpful the food for breakfast was enough to keep you going all day I would stay there again.the dart only cost 3 Euros to Dublin

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wills20
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear wills20,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for your nice comments.

We hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!