“Great location”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed in many parts of Dublin, but this location ls one of the best. Train service, quiet village, and beautiful view all along the bay are big positives The hotel is old,but well maintained.
We will stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve C
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Steve C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you enjoyed and complimented our location. Dun Laoghaire certainly is a beautiful coastal town which is ideally situated for visiting Dublin City or Co. Wicklow.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Royal Marine Hotel

999 - 1,005 of 2,103 reviews

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Superb high end hotel. Very good sized room (basic double) with comfortable bed, large bath and separate shower cubicle. Staff friendly and welcoming. Booked room only and didn't eat in hotel but those who did seem to be enjoying good food. We chose to breakfast in Dun Laoghaire as there were so many places providing good value priced breakfasts (we'd stayed before and knew this ahead of our stay). With the DART at the bottom of the road it's ideal for 'doing' Dublin or a day trip to Bray.

Room Tip: Have regular offers on their website so check out direct booking rather than comparison websites.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ReggieMichael,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and service that you received. Thank you for highlighting the convenience of the DART for taking day trips from the hotel also.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We enjoyed our 3 night stay here in this old style hotel with good service and excellent accommodation in an upgraded executive room overlooking the sea. Free and ample car parking.Free wi fi. Plenty of coastal walks nearby. Very handy for the Holyhead ferry.
There are plenty of good restaurants in the area and the train into the city is 5 minutes walk away - only 5.50 euros return fare for the 20 something minutes trip.

Room Tip: Try for a sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear snellsnook,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your three night stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and for mentioning the excellent accommodation that you experienced.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here a number of times and have never been disappointed, on this occasion we stayed for four nights, the room was large with a great sea view, the extra charge is definitely worth it.
All the staff we had contact with we're helpful and friendly, the hotel is a well run establishment with a good atmosphere.
The bed was very large and really comfortable, the buffet breakfasts really set us up for the day and the meals in the restaurant was excellent and good value.
As said before I couldn't fault any part of the service and I am looking forward to our next stay

Room Tip: Sea view rooms, extra cost but worth it
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stopwatch
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear stopwatch,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent four night stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and about our friendly and hard working staff. Thank you also for highlighting the quality of the food served at breakfast and dinner.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

On arrival we were kindly upgraded to a very large balcony room overlooking the harbour which was lovely. Free under ground parking, good wifi connection, plenty of choice on the TV. In future when visiting Dublin I will stay here and get the DART - 5 minute walk and then 25 minutes into the the centre of the City for 5 Euros.
Only (minor) criticism is that the continental breakfast was a bit unimaginitive so didn't bother after the first day as there are a number of excellent local cafes - be sure to visit the Sunshine Cafe 6 minutes walk

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chaxx

Dear Chaxx,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel.

Thank you also for the feedback on our continental breakfast options which we will consider also. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

once again I am moved to write about our stay. outstanding food, impeccable service, fantastic room. We visit family 3 times per year, and I am yet to find another establishment that ticks all of the boxes. see you at Christmas (pity about the library building, many happy memories of a beerfest, that's progress I guess...)

Room Tip: Main Building
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim S

Dear Tim S,

Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us again. Thank you for your lovely comments about the hotel and the quality of food and service received.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was so disappointed. I love the Royal Marine and think that, upon being reopened a few years ago, was a real jewel in the crown for Dun Laoghaire. My previous review shows how much I loved it - we spent our wedding night there five years ago and had my husband's family stay there too.

I had occasion to use one of their meeting rooms in April accompanied by a colleague who had never been to Ireland before. I was keen to show off Dublin at it's best and looked forward to using the Royal Marine. I booked into the Hayes meeting room. I went to check in and was given a key and grumpily pointed in the direction of the lifts. Not escorted to the room, nor were the facilities explained and I received extremely short shrift when I rang reception to ask for help. An hour later, it turned out I shouldn't have been given entry as my room had been changed. We were shown up to a bigger meeting room upstairs with cables trailing across the floor and a tiny desk in the middle of the room. Wholly inappropriate. The staff, apart from the extremely embarrassed conference manager, were indifferent, uninterested and surly.

The whole hotel needs repainting and recarpetting. The freshness has gone and the smell of a 1980s carvery remains. The whole place just feels very badly maintained. I hate the use of the phrase "I've stayed in some great hotels" so widely used on this site but I have and five years ago the Royal Marine ranked among them. Not now.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank londub77

Dear londub77,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to the Royal Marine Hotel in April last on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your feedback on the hotel. I can assure you however that the hotel is entirely committed to the maintenance of standards in the hotel and have completed a number of projects pre and post your stay in April last. These have included a full repaint of the exterior of the hotel, full redecoration of the front hall of the hotel, soft refurbishment of the Bay Lounge area, soft refurbishment of our Restaurant and complete redecoration of a number of our bedroom and meeting room corridors with repainting and quality wall coverings. We have further plans in the remainder of this year to continue with recent and on going improvements that have been completed already.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel or on email at Aryan@royalmarine.ie so that we may learn more about your visit to us and take constructive action to investigate the circumstances of your visit and move forward positively.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!