“Interesting”
Review of Ross Castle

Ross Castle
Ranked #185 of 234 things to do in County Galway
Reviewed 21 October 2015

This was not one of the most impressive castles we visited, however it was worth the visit. It is clean and well maintained. Many interesting stories of by gone history of castle, and its owners make for interesting reading. Surrounding grounds are beautiful. Swans and deer add to the scenery.

Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

For a castle ruin, this was well worth the fee for the tour. It was a fascinating castle with a tour guide that was so informative. Even my husband, who isn't a great fan of castle touring, enjoyed Ross Castle. My only regret is I'm now a retired teacher and have no class to tell about Ross Castle.

Reviewed 3 January 2015

We drove by this attraction several times and decided to stop in on one of our last days in Galway. Unfortunately, when we went to the door, there was no one there to give us a tour. However, on our way back to the car, the gardener spotted us and asked if we would like a tour of the gardens. While in the garden, the elderly owner, Mr. McLaughlin was out for a walk and began talking with us. What a delighful man! We ended up standing there talking to him for over an hour and a half. He told us the story of how he came to be the owner of the property. Then he showed us the chapel and told us how he donates the money left in the chapel to children in Africa. It turned out to be a lovely afternoon. Glad we stopped here, even though we didn't even get to see the inside of the house. My family still talks about that day when we reminisce about our family trip to Ireland.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

what was promissed was not available and staff totally ignored attempts to contact them about problems.

1  Thank 1-Retired_traveler
rossestate, Manager at Ross Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2013

I find it remarkable that this gentleman, after the litany of complaints posted, finds the property “Beautiful” and the rooms “Gorgeous”. But I find it mystifying that when he came in for “Tea and Tour” which we offer to our guests that he made no comment at all about problems he was having. Usually when our guests find a fault/problem they bring it to our attention and it is seen to immediately. The locked door of the swimming pool seems to have been an issue and since I unlocked the door and rolled up the pool cover myself I cannot understand how the door was then found to be locked. The staff enters that way and no one made us aware of its having been locked. I apologize profusely and only wish someone from the group had brought it to our attention.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The other reviews talk about the hotel, my review is about the attraction--The Ross Castle.
Well, partly. Actually, we didn't get to tour the castle though I wish we would have. We visited with a tour group and came to the castle to take the boat ride. Don't bother doing the boat ride. It was a slow boat riding around a large, pretty lake and it was a bore. It was a nice way to get an hour more sleep, but not worth the time. We took the large, blue boat. I read that the smaller boats may be better.

1  Thank ljgordon