“Beautiful, authenticité and restful”
Review of The Anglers Return

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in County Galway
The Anglers Return
Ranked #225 of 430 County Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed here over the New Year and had the most amazing, beautiful time. The Anglers Return is set in beautiful Irish countryside with a view at the front over a lake which is visible from front facing rooms. The interiors of the house are so beautifully done, totally in keeping with the style of the huge stone farmhouse - warm, authentic, tasteful with a little touch of the eccentric. I have never slept as well as I slept at the Anglers Return.
Lynn the proprietor and Bonnie the sheepdog make you feel incredibly welcomed. Lynn is as friendly and sociable as can be - the weekly gathering of Irish musicians in the kitchen to play authentic Irish music, arranged by Lynn, was the sort of experience money can't buy. I shall hold on dearly to my memories of my time staying there. Thank you Lynn (and Bonnie too) x

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mexico6

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Anglers Return over the Christmas period with a few friends. The house itself is beautifully charming: gorgeous views of the neighbouring lake and Connemara countryside, roaring fires and wood-burners, lovely furniture and gorgeously decorated. Everything about our stay there was cosy, warm and great fun. What makes the Anglers Return so great though, is the proprietress Lynn - who does everything to make the stay of her guests just right, and adds so much to the character of the B&B. From making sure our electric blankets had warmed our beds for bedtime, to preparing delicious and made to order breakfasts each morning - she was the perfect host. I'm already planning my return trip in the summer - so I can experience the stunning white sand beaches in (hopefully) warmer weather! Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emilyj123
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a one-in-a-million place to stay.....
I'm just home after 3 days in the Anglers Return and have to put the experience on the record!
A beautiful period lodge, full of character, lovely unique furniture, log fires and stoves and a very warm welcome from proprietor Lynn.
I was given a choice of 3 bedrooms. All were elegant as well as very comfortable-looking and each was very different to the next. I really had difficulty choosing. I decided to take one without an ensuite.....and that's how I discovered the best bath in Ireland! A big, long cast iron beauty that I luxuriated in after each day's hiking. Bliss.
Although this is a B&B, I was encouraged to hang out as much as I liked, enjoy the sitting room fire and borrow a book if necessary. A cup of tea and cake was also on offer.
There is an old-world feel to the place that tempts you to abandon your plans and just curl-up indoors for the day - it really is a break from your real world. There aren't too many places like this.
Breakfast was delicious, with the emphasis on organic and healthy fare and endless pots of tea. No doubt about it, they seek to please.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Susan C
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This has been my favourite place to stay for many years, and this year was no exception. This is for people who want a genuine experience of real Ireland, not just another hotel or generic B&B. I count this as one of the most beautiful houses and gardens in Ireland; the proprietress has an eye for beauty and style of the old-fashioned, cosy kind that has nearly been lost these days. The breakfasts are healthy and hearty, there are open fires and wood stoves to keep warm and views out over the river or back up over the lovely gardens or looking out on the cobblestone yard where the hens wander during the day. Give me a breakfast of fresh free-range eggs and Lynn's homemade soda bread and granola and fresh fruit and yogurt any day over the greasy meat-laden Irish breakfast on offer at most B&B's. She is the warmest, kindest host imaginable and continues to do wonders with this old house of great character which is a true gem. Not to be missed.

Room Tip: I have, over the years stayed in every room in this house, either with my partner or daughter. I hav...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lynsey-Wol
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A lovely quaint guest house but that where it ends. Value for money is appalling.We stayed at the guest house for one night as we were attending a friends wedding at Ballynahinch Castle and they were fully booked.We arrived on the Saturday and literally checked in and changed and set off for the wedding.Our room was cold and we had to share the bathroom down the hall with other guests.The landlady said we could have breakfast at 8.15 the following morning and as we were getting the bus back to Galway she would drop us at canal bridge which was at most 2 miles from the guest house.We arrived down early for breakfast and when it arrived it consisted of 2 rashers an egg and half a tomato.Considering we paid €118 for bed and breakfast I felt this was very poor.Apparently the landlady felt the sausages would have taken too long.I can only imagine thats why we also missed out on black pudding or all the other expected items in a cooked breakfast!! When it came time to check out my husband said he would offer €5 for the lift to the bus.I felt this was generous considering the cost of the one night stay and the very poor breakfast.He said to the landlady to take the €5 and she said "well things are very expensive around here so I'll take €10 if thats ok with you".I was livid but what could I say.She then drove us to the bus stop .It was raining and we had 15 minutes to wait for the bus.She said "Well I suppose I could drop you a little further along to the shop where theres some shelter but thats another 3 miles,oh god what should I do.I feel terrible but I should get back to my other guests" and with that she proceeded to get our bags out of the boot!!! I'm 5 and a half months pregnant and she knew it.Irish hospitality my eye. This woman should have worn a balaclava and then she could have robbed me properly.Absolutely fuming!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eadin H
Lynn H, Owner at The Anglers Return, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I am very sad and upset that someone has had such a bad experience here, when I have always worked hard to make guests welcome, comfortable and happy. It matters so much to me - this lovely old period house is my life's work and love, and I want nothing more than to see others enjoy it - I take pride in this. In the many years since I opened as a Bed & Breakfast I have never had a complaint. Quite to the contrary, I have hundreds of repeat guests, many returning happily year after year.

With specific reference to Eadin, I can only say that I very much regret your bad experience and that I am prepared to refund you the money you spent here, even though I do not accept your version of some/most of the incidents you describe.

I do accept that the house might have seemed a little cold, but it is an old Victorian fishing lodge, which is not normally open in December. However, I agreed to open especially to accommodate some of the wedding party and had heaters in every room, and cosy electric blankets on all day & night.

Regarding the car journey - I left the house and other guests, who were not yet down for breakfast, in order to help this couple catch the bus (Canal Bridge 5 miles away, round trip 10 miles) as they had not organised a taxi.
I went out of my way to get them to the bus, if I had not, they would have missed their plane. They were definitely not “thrown out” in the rain. I insisted on taking them to the shop 3 miles further on, but they refused. I was concerned about the other guests waiting for breakfast, but I still wanted to take them further up the road for shelter.

I feel I gave them the best possible attention & service, even worrying about their plane the night before & ensuring that they had checked on bus times.
I did not offer sausages, as there were time constraints to get them to the bus, and I did not want to cause any delay.

All my other reviews speak volumes about The Anglers Return and truly reflect the essence and care that guests receive here.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My family have been coming to Connemara for more than ten years and this was our second time staying here and we'll be back again. Great food, lovely room and a wonderful welcome. A must for anyone visiting this part of the country who likes something special.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Caitni N
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We want to keep this one a secret ! We don't want the entire world to know how beautiful this place is, it's only for special people !
We spent 5 idyllic nights here and it was superb. The breakfasts were amazing, the beds blissful, you could even hear the gentle plop of trout biting in the river opposite ( which is like silk to swim in ! ) We relied on recommendations from the lovely Lynn,where to eat, where to bathe, where to walk, and we loved it all. Lynn's home is wonderful and her hospitality went beyond the expected ( thanks for the loan of the sun hat, and calamine lotion !!)
We had the most relaxing holiday and will be back, some day ! That's a threat and a promise Lynn :) A truly exceptional B&B.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends