Ross Castle
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in County Galway
See available hotels
Currarevagh House(Oughterard)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
The Twelve Hotel(Barna)
View Hotel
All reviewstennis courtstable tennisswimming poolsnooker roomgalway cityhen weekendthe main housetwo nightscommon areasmarshallbilliardscottagemartinaaccommodationprivacyirelandmargaret
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2013

A family group of 12 rented the St George's cottage for 4 nights. The six bedrooms, each with bath, were each unique and beautifully decorated. There was plenty of hot water and great showers. The living areas were comfortable and there was a large dining table to fit all of us comfortably. The kitchen was very functional and we cooked each breakfast and two dinners (there is a fully stocked grocery store in Moy Cullen, just down the road). Our hosts, Elizabeth (she goes by Marshall, her maiden name) and George McLaughlin, couldn't have been more hospitable. Marshall gave us a wonderful welcome and showed us around the 'cottage', common areas, and grounds. She was always available to our needs with a simple knock on the main house door. (When we couldn't get the gas cooktop to start, she came over with a lighter and showed us just how to make it work). We went for tea at the main house with Marshall and and George (who had just returned home after a hip injury), and they charmed us with stories of restoring the property and their transition from living in the US to living in Ireland. She showed us around the castle which has large lovely rooms and huge bathrooms. The gardens are beautiful with picturesque spots, and sweeping lawns to the lake. One note - the wireless is not robust, given the stone walls between the router in the main house and the cottage. the iPads could not pick it up, but the laptops could. All in all it was simply a wonderful stay and I hope to back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah W
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Our Group ren ted the entire castly comples for 1 week and after talking to people from the castle on the internet felt that this was going to be a great place to make our base camp for the week we spent in Ireland. I asked a lot of questions about the facility and ammenities listed so that I could pack accordingly. The day of the trip began and It was a long flight from the U.S. and since the owners are American they would know this. We arrived around 9am at Ross Castle in Galway. A lady leaned out the window then came down to show one member in the group where the accomodations were. Last we saw of that lady or any other person associated with the castle for four days. Dispite numerous attempts to bang on the main door to the castle no one would respond. Many attempts were made to try and call the castle number but again no one would answer the phone. /On the third day our tour guide called the number from his phone and the call was answered in two rings. What does that tell you? The person at the castle was not taking calls if it had a U.S. prefix. Many people spent 4 days in November in Ireland in the cold without heat in their building while others did not have gas to utiize their stove. The cleanliness was not too good as there were cobb webbs everywhere and continually having to kill bugs crawling on the floor. In our room we had to bring lights into the kitched area in order to get enough light to cook as most of the light bulbs in the kitchen were burned out. We were supplied 1 kotchen garbage bag for the week that we were there and after 5 days found out that all the garbage would have to be sorted into 5 different catagories for recycling and taken to a place somewhere out back of the castle. We could not figure how to seperate the garbage into 5 stacks when we had only 1 garbage bag that had since been overfilled and on a trip into the city got more garbage bags. I had specifically inquired about blow driers and was told each had one. This was true but the hose of the blow drier located over the sink was not there I eventually found it in a draw near the kitchen ravelled on both ends as well as the middle making the drier totally unusable. The kitchen was pretty well stocked but do not count on coffee any time soon. Had to scroung up parts to make our coffee pot work and once done it took about 1 hour for the coffee to drip and we had to try coffee pots from several different rooms and never had and success. The rooms inside were georgeous however, be carefull on the lighter chairs as the legs and support braces would come out as the chair was moved and almost fall off a good thing I did not try to sit before looking. The castle grounds were beautiful and the setting exquisit. There are no phones to call out so if you have potential medical problems this is not the place for you. There is a phone in a both out by the pool but it is incoming call only. Internet that they say that they have was there in basically one room next to the main castle wall. However, it took several days before we could contact someone to get the password to use the wireless connection the only real way we had communications after day 4. They have a lot of TV and DVD players there but you one get 1 channel CNN and could not get the DVDs to play. Only able to get 1 am radio station on fm stations could be received. If you want the experience of pre-electronic Ireland this is the place for you, Looked forward to seeing our tour operator to see what the projected weather for the day was going to be. Since no one in the castle would respond I fet like I was abandoned in another time a long time age. We got more service from the tour operator in trying to help our group with the cold and cooking problems than we did from anyone in the castle. In fact when the tour operator bought a propane cylinder to use to heat those without heat a couple of days after the proprietors returned she got upset and said she was not responsible for that, I guess that she was not responsible for heat in the rooms I guess. I had inquired to see if the indoor pool in the photos was heated. I was told yes. I said that I would be spending a lot of time there as I love water. I went down day 1 pool was covered and door was locked. day 2, 3, 4 and 5 the same thing. Day six cover off the pool door still locked. Day 7 was told by one of the people rooming with us that the door was open cover off and the water felt good. I finished food preparations for the evening meal got my suit, rode, towel and drink went to the pool and the door was locked again. So I was not able to use the pool as requested. the last day as we were cleaning up and loading luggage into the bus the proprietor came was upset about the propane cylinder and said she wanted it take as she was sick of looking at it. Again great people skills but since the trip was paid for in full before we arrived I kind of expected that. we left a bunch of unopened food items and other gifts for the bus driver who had done such a great job all week long setting an example of what you envisioned the Irish people to be like. He took us to the airport and came back to pick up two other in the group that had other travel arrangements only to find that all of the bags had been gone through and many items removed. I guess that is what you can expect from the proprietors and staff at Ross Castle in Galway. I then wondered if that is where some of the items that mysteriously turned up missing from our kitchen while we were out on day trips.
Overall I rate our stay at Ross Castle scenery & Grounds --------------- exceptional
Buildings on grounds ------------- exceptional
interior decorations --------------- good
staff friendliness-------------------- very poor
management communicatiuon - non existant
managing guest concerns ------- non existant
Trustworthiness & Security-- very questionable

I would not go back because of the service or should I say lack of service. What you read or told prior to booking your accomodations is going to be different than what you get when you get there.
I was in a business where I had to take care of customer problems and complaints for 25 years. in all of my years of travel and being dealt with I have had some bad service but my trip to Ross Castle has made the top of my worst places visited list .

Room Tip: Do not pay for your rooms at the Ross Castle up front, You may have a better chance of getting some service of concern from the proprietors and staff if they are there.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1-Retired_traveler
rossestate, Manager at Ross Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

I find it remarkable that this gentleman, after the litany of complaints posted above, finds the property “Beautiful” and the rooms “Gorgeous”. But I find it mystifying that when he came in for “Tea and Tour” which we offer to our guests that he made no comment at all about problems he was having. Usually when our guests find a fault/problem they bring it to our attention and it is seen to immediately. The locked door of the swimming pool seems to have been an issue and since I unlocked the door and rolled up the pool cover myself I cannot understand how the door was then found to be locked. The staff enters that way and no one made us aware of its having been locked. I apologize profusely and only wish someone from the group had brought it to our attention.

Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We had a large group (26). When we arrived we discovered that there was no gas in the any if the 3 buildings. Over half did not have heat. It took 3 day and multiple attempts to contact someone to get this issue resolved. Once this was done "not a good way to start" the place is lovely. Never got to get in the heated pool as every time I tried it was locked, but I am told that it was open when others went down there. The chapel on the grounds is something to see. The stained glass windows are beautiful. Also makes sure they explain how to light the fireplaces and how to sort your trash and where to place it. All in all BAD start, but stellar finish.

• Stayed: November 2012
rossestate, Owner at Ross Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

We are pleased that this group found our property “Stellar”. And had there been no Hurricane Sandy which cancelled our flight out of Boston we would have been here 5 days prior to the group’s arrival and on hand for any emergency. When we arrived 2 days after the guests and found the heating in one cottage not working, although the hot water was working, the plumber came to sort it out and all was well. We wish to offer our friends from Louisiana a sincere apology and should they return to Ireland we hope that they will stay with us as our guests.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Seventeen members of our family from the US gathered at lovely Ross Castle for Christmas this year. The rooms are so beautiful and the hosts so gracious. The location is about 20 minutes outside of Galway City - far enough to feel very remote and close enough to get in and around easily. We went on day trips to the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, the Aran Islands and others almost every day and enjoyed pints of Guinness at the pub at the end of the road - walking distance for the youthful. Elizabeth was very responsive to numerous emails getting us sorted out in rooms by family groups, ordering our Christmas turkey, and generally helping with finding things we needed. We had a delightful stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank jkmtem
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We absolutely loved our stay here. It felt like I travelled through time and space and landed in heaven on earth. The castle is in fantastic shape and the grounds are breathtaking. The gardens are out of this world beautiful. I took so many pictures that I will be painting. Absolutely inspiring. Marshall and George are the kindest and most attentive hosts. My 7 year old son said on the plane home that he misses Marshall already! I would go back again and again and again!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family