Stayed here for the academic year 2013-2014. Don't want to trash the place as I met AMAZING friends here but I would never recommend any of my friends looking for a place to put this as their first option. Going to start this off with: this is where you go if Corrib Village is too full. In my experience, 9/10 of the people who lived there tried at least one or two places before having to go to Dunaras.
What you can expect:
- a 20 minute walk to college.
- a 10 euro taxi to the city.
- a bus service that is made redundant by the fact it leaves at ridiculous time slots. Context: the bus will leave at 4pm and arrive at 4.10 - your class will of started fifteen minutes ago by the time you get to your lecture hall.
- living in the absolute ghetto of Galway. I would personally not feel safe walking home at night. I know personally of three houses in Dunars that got robbed during my stay. While one security guard is alway present, they can't really do much and are usually trying to close down a party while your stuff is getting jacked. I don't want to target anyone but its worth pointing out that dunaras is surrounded by low income housing estates like Glendara.
- if you are unlucky enough to get a ground floor room, expect all kinds of mould/damp to be in your bedroom.
- to not be able to have parties past 11pm or if security are feeling like it, go to other peoples houses/have anyone in your house past 11.
- to not be able to bring people home unless you've signed them in. Sometimes they'll let it slide but can and do enforce it (especially during rag week/freshers week, etc).
- to have security enter your house AND bedroom without permission if they feel like it. Security entered my bedroom without knocking on either doors because they heard people talking inside my room past the 11pm deadline.
- to get a fine of 50 euro if you leave your front door unlocked. So many people get this. They will check your door at least twice every night.
- your deposit to be heavily fined. Most of the people I talked to who lived there the previous year told me from the offstart to forget about seeing any of my deposit again.
* THIS ONES THE IMPORTANT ONE*. I'm not a mean person but both receptionists that work at dunaras are two extremely cold, harsh and at times what I would say vindictive people. Its very clear they don't want to be talking to you, they don't make any attempts to be friendly. If you get in trouble with security then expect them to look at you with complete and utter disgust every time you come in contact with them.
What I can say for Dunaras is this: it's saving grace is the people who live there. Its a great place to meet people in your first year of college, if you do choose to live here, there will be house parties every night for the first week. Nobody gets invited or anything, you just hear music and walk in. I highly recommend you take advantage of this opportunity to meet people. Even though the place had many, many faults I still really enjoyed staying at Dunaras but that was due to the people I met, nothing more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Dunaras Village - an attractive village style complex and the number one in Galway for affordable self-catering accommodation. Dunaras Village is an attractive, self catering complex set in pleasantly landscaped surroundings. Designed to a 3 star standard each spacious apartment has either 2 or 3 all ensuite bedrooms. These conveniently located, bright and modern apartments provide the perfect choice and freedom for you to come and go as you please.Dunaras Village is the perfect place to stay if you wish to visit Galway as it is located just minutes away from Galway City, and is less than a mile away from the infamous seaside resort of Salthill. It is also in an ideal location to explore the beautiful scenery and the peace and tranquillity of Connemara and all it has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Dunaras Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.