“Nonexistent reception!”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #166 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The White House is about 15 minutes far from the city center. The rooms are big and very well furnished. They didn't have shampoo and body soap, only hand soap.
No reception staff. We went early in the morning, before the time of check in, we left our luggages there, and when we went back in the afternoon, there were nobody. We stayed for a long time outside the White house at the windy weather. If a woman-client didn't open the door, we would stay almost an hour outside the accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ELVIRAKARAMEN

Reviewed 29 April 2013

The White House is a pretty good spacious B&B that is situated in the Salthill suburb of Galway and that is only about a kilometer away from the Spanish Arch and the Quay Street side of the city centre so it can easily be walked or is only a short cab ride to get to shops and restaurants. The hotel is comfortable and clean and is all one could ask for on a budget stay in Galway.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doug W
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I cannot stress too strongly how horrible my stay in this hotel was. I booked in for 5 nights but demanded a refund after the first night. I was put in a tiny attic room with a sloping window directly above the bed. There was no functioning blind and I was awake a 6 am as it was impossible to sleep with the daylight pouring in above my head. The bathroom was so small I had to stand in the bedroom to wash my hands at the sink and the toilet was fixed to the improvised dividing wall by plank of wood. The carpet looked dirty and the bed cover was dirty and stained. In the morning I waited patiently for the heating to come on but it didn't. At 8.00 a.m. I went for a shower anyway although it was very cold in the room but there was no hot water. I found the manager who was preparing breakfast and explained the situation but 'm sorry to say that her belligerent attitude made me furious and I insisted on a refund which she initially refused to give me until I explained that I would be taking further action. I wish I had read the warnings on Trip Advisor before I booked this horrible hotel as it totally ruined the first day of my much needed holiday in Galway and could have clouded my view of the wonderful, friendly and spotless hospitality I am so used to in Ireland.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Deirdre H
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The white house turned out to be a disappointment. It had a perfect location beside the prom in salthill and looked nice on the outside but the inside was run down. Beds were fine but bathrooms were small and pokey. Also the host was odd. He didn't seem to have a good grasp of the english language. He always seemed to be loitering around. Would nearly scare you when you come out of your room. Also the breakfast was terrible. They don't know how to cook a fry in this place! Have stayed in other B&B's in the area and they are much nicer than this one. Overall a disappointing stay here!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We absolutely loved our stay at the White House. Very budget friendly and our room was great - jacuzzi tub and so comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and the owners were so friendly too! We will definitely return the next time we are in Galway.

Room Tip: Choose one of the top floor rooms with the round windows! We loved room #13!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

I booked the white house then read the reviews! I was then dreading the stay, but it realy wasnt too bad at all, we were welcomed by a friendly young man, our room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was basic but ok. The location is good

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I made the mistake booking this place in advance. The area, Salthill is about 15 minute walk from the town and a 30 minute walk to city center, Eire Park. The gentleman that greated me at the door was cordial but not friendly like I had experienced in other places I stayed. I mentioned my name several times, never got his name. I did not notice the mold smell that has been mentioned in other reviews, but, I may be insesnsitive to it.
I would not stay here again. The Salthill area looked pretty cool near the ocean beaches.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo