“Want to relive your backpacking youth?”
Review of Snoozles Hostel

Snoozles Hostel
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Have you ever wanted to relive those tender years when you needed nothing more than an empty bunk, a backpack, and a Swiss army knife to see Europe on the cheap? Yeah, me neither, but here I was staying in my first youth hostel in I won't tell you how many years. Why? Well, it was part of a two-day tour package I bought through Galway Tours, and I assume to bring the cost down, they put people up in this place since it's right next to the Galway coach station where I was supposed to pick up the bus for the following morning tour in Connemara. I have to admit I didn't pay attention to that detail in the online description and probably thought that it wasn't a big deal to stay in a hostel for one night.

Well, it wasn't all that big a deal, but I have to tell you that the sight of six bunk beds in a small room (see photo) reminded me of the Dachau concentration camp tour I took years ago. I looked into the bathroom (granted a luxury since I assume most of the rooms have shared facilities) and saw that the shower stall had no real drainage, and there was little room to put any toiletries on the sink's ledge. I actually let myself think that perhaps I would have the room to myself until I noticed a huge backpack hidden under one of the bottom bunks. Then a young couple, a New York girl with her Peruvian boyfriend, came in to take another set of beds. OK, the adventure begins, and of course, I started to feel self-conscious about my age because I was surely the oldest lodger in that hostel that night. As it turned out, everyone was cool, and nobody snored.

Thank heaven for small favors. But I just felt weird being in what felt like a crowded dorm room like I was spending spring break in Fort Lauderdale with Connie Francis and George Hamilton. I wasn't feeling my vibe here, and frankly it was much worse downstairs in the common area where the more rambunctious youth were making a racket until the wee hours. It was like a United Nations General Assembly meeting crossed with a slumber party. The following morning, when I tried to have a slice of toast, a young African girl looked at me and laughed in my face like a hyena. Gee, thanks for making me feel like an outcast. But I really can't complain much since the rate for a bed here is about $25 US. By the way, the young staff at the desk is quite nice, the other guests not so much.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ed_Uyeshima
SnoozlesHostel, General Manager at Snoozles Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Dear Ed_Uyeshima,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review - constructive feedback from guests is very important to us as it helps us continually improve our offering and service.
Based on your feedback, we have actioned some changes to our policies and procedures. These include suggesting to tour operators who use us that they emphasise to their guests that they will be staying in an award winning tourist hostel. We are also going to ensure each room has adequate storage in the en-suite (every room in our hostel is ensuite).

Please be assured you were far from the oldest guest we have ever had stay! I am sorry however if the mix of other guests staying the same night as you made you feel in any way uncomfortable. We pride ourselves on offering each and every guest a warm and personal welcome and as regards the other gust who may have laughed at you during breakfast - well, I can only apologies on her behalf, we certainly don't approve of that sort of behaviour.

Once again, thank you for your detailed review and we hope you had a safe onward journey. Shane Healy, General Manager

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We ended up extending our stay to 9 days, because we loved Galway, and because we loved Snoozles. Some friends ended up coming to meet us and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate us, and make sure we had the best stay possible. The staff made our stay there super enjoyable because they got to know us, were incredibly friendly and took pride in what they do. The rooms were clean, the walls are painted with bright pictures, and the building has an overall inviting and upbeat atmosphere. I will definitely recommend this place to anyone going to Galway!

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review! I'm delighted you fell in love with Galway and enjoyed your stay so much! We aim to ensure all our guests leave 100% satisfied and have the best possible time while staying with us. We hope you had a safe onward journey and enjoyed the rest of your vacation!

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Quite satisfied with our stay. Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Place is very well run and organised. However, bathroom needs better drainage system. Shower curtain is inadequate to prevent water from seeping out onto the floor. My brother managed to flood the bathroom during his shower.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jotay1712

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and found our staff to be friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Regarding the shower curtain being too short - based on your feedback, we have changed our procedure to double check each shower curtain is replaced with one of the correct length when they are taken down for cleaning. We hope you had a safe onward journey and enjoyed the rest of your vacation!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Unexpected stay in Galway September 2012. Never stayed in a hostel before. We got a private room. Delighted when I saw it. Spotlessly clean. Comfortable double bed. Interior very pleasant. Thrilled with Snoozles. Staff very friendly. I'm sure ill be back there again soon. So affordable and convenient location around 4 mins walk from Eyre Square. Cannot compliment this place enough.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hi LRMB2012,

Thank you for your great review and 5 * rating! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us - especially considering as it was your first stay in a hostel! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Snoozles Tourist Hostel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

I was traveling through Ireland with a friend's band and can't say much bad about this location. The service was friendly and the place was clean. We had enough people to take up an entire room so we weren't with strangers. This hostel using RFID cards to access the front door (late night) and your room's door which is pretty great for a hostel. The room had bunk beds with storage drawers for your stuff which helped us feel secure and a clear shower/WC. The hostel was clear and had a bunch of social areas and provided a decent spread of foods for breakfast. The area can be a bit loud with traffic and people but it's cheap and you're in Galway.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear ARM,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt safe and secure - very important when travelling alone or with valuable equipment like yourselves! We look forward to hopefully welcoming you and your friends back to Snoozles Tourist Hostel soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

Great location, staff organized day trip for us, rooms were clean, our shower curtain was broken but the staff knew this and were working on getting it fixed and were prompt on mopping up the water in the morning. The breakfast was basic and a little disappointing. The kitchen facilities were good for cooking your own food. Good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The location is good but noise from traffic & bus station is a problem. The free breakfast is ok but very hectic with it almost q free for all, especially after 9am, some of the petty rules are kindergarten & I felt at times like I was under supervision, yet I am an experienced traveller!

• Stayed: August 2012