“Quirky & fun layout”

Price range: US$18 - US$32
Cuisines: European, Irish
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: McSwiggans is a city centre bar and restaurant which has been open for over 30 years. We serve food in the bar from breakfast to early evening and casual dining in the restaurant on the top two floors until late. Specialities include steak, seafood and amazing desserts. We have a great section of wine, beers & cocktails with live sport on our big screen and live music at the weekends. With a labyrinth of rooms we cater to family gatherings, romantic nights out and groups of all sizes.
Portland, Oregon
“Quirky & fun layout”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My tour group of 10 enjoyed a last minute visit to McSwiggin's, recommended by our hotel which wasn't serving dinner that night. After only waiting a few minutes, they were able to make space for us. We had fun making our way to the top floor. The layout is truly quirky. The service was great, however my steak was a little disappointing, especially for the cost. Rather thin slice, tough and chewy. I would have returned it however I was too hungry by that point. Also found it curious that the large bowl of potatoes was provided, but not the usual group side dish of veggies. Loved the small jazz group gathered in the bar, however we were already headed to a pub for traditional music.

1 Thank kvportlandoregon

• Arabic first
Moscow, Russia
“Good atmosphere, fair price, so-so service.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was in this restaurant before, so I wanted to show it my wife. We came there for dinner. Cuisine was almost as fine as usually, steaks were almost perfect. Dinner bill was reasonable, I expected to spent more ;-)

However, service was too slow, and we wait table before it about 25 min. I recommend to reserve seats by phone in advance.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank CTAX
Waterford
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We ate in Mc Swiggans last Sunday evening. The food was really good. Lot to choose from on the menu, I had steak and it was absolutely beautiful. Good atmosphere and staff were very pleasant. Good value for money given the quality and amount of food. Would recommend!

Dublin, Ireland
“Service screams 'you're not good enough' .”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Myself and my friends are just back from a wonderful bank holiday weekend in Galway and the only downside was the way we were treated in Mc Swiggins. We had heard great things about Mc Swiggins so we thought we would pop in for a few drinks and get dinner before going home to get ready for a night out. After having a drink downstairs we moved up to the restaurant and were asked to take a seat and wait probably for at least 15 minutes as they were busy, we had no problem with that. As time went on we watched as parties of different numbers large and small were invited into the restaurant. When everyone had left the waiting area the same man that told us to wait returned and asked us were we waiting for a table, as though he had never seen us before. They weren't that busy! We then knew that we were being made unwelcome. Granted we weren't dressed in our usual evening wear, however if someone had of told us that there was a specific dress code instead of leaving us sitting for half an hour to guess it for ourselves we would have respected that. We're not that familiar with Galway and we assumed it was just a pub/ restaurant as opposed to a fine dining establishment, the service certainly didn't display the sort of professionalism required for the category of restaurant they are trying very hard to emulate. Needless to say I'll be telling all my friends and work colleagues, it has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I didn't even get any food.

6 Thank Breedie
Warsaw, Poland
“Exactly right”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It was my friend's 30th birthday and we wanted to go out for the perfect dinner. This is it. In fact, it was so good the first night in Galway that we went back for the second night as well. The restaurant goes up several levels and feels cozy/private at every point. The menu is extensive and both things I ate were delicious. The steak is Irish beef and even mentions what farm it comes from! Excellent service, excellent food, very cozy and unique atmosphere.

Really, you can't go wrong at this place. Go there.

• Visited April 2014