Holiday Hotel
The Western Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$189
US$177
Hotels.com
US$243
  • Restaurant
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$164
Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$306
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$148
US$126
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbar downstairswalkable distancegreat locationtaxi ranktop floorsalthill promenadeshort staywould definitely stay here againstayed here for nightsroom was spotlessthe hotel staffaran islandsgalleoneuropubspint
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Four of stayed for two nights in August. when we arrived we had to wait about twenty minutes for the owner,Peter to appear. We only discovered then that they did,nt serve breakfast , he said callers were always advised of this when booking.I was NOT or Iwould not have booked! He spent another fifteen minutes showing us how everything worked ie the t.v etc. we noticed there were no teamaking facilities in bedroom, surely a given, and he said he,d bring up a kettle and tea/coffee and if we wanted milk we would get it accross the road in Centra!!! talk about faulty towers..He was not very pleasant when we complained and said "I,m sorry I can,t build you a kitchen" Never again. . The bar was pleasant with a very smart and friendly bar maid. On the plus side, the hotel was clean enough ith good shower. . . oh and we had to bring our own luggage up a very long srairway. Could,nt wait to get out of there.

Room Tip: rooms at front very noisy early in morning due to street sweeping.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank christine c
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Myself and 3 friends booked 2 rooms for one night in this hotel. Unfortunately, due to one of our party being taken ill, we had to urgently cancel our reservation 36 hours prior to our check-in time. Having made the initial booking through Booking.com, I immediately contacted them to cancel. Although we were several hours outside the '48 hour cancellation deadline', we were still cancelling well in advance, and as they were unavoidable and extenuating circumstances under which we had to cancel, Booking.com assured us they would inform the hotel immediately and 'fingers crossed', the hotel would be sympathetic and not take payment for the 2 rooms.
Alas, full payment was still taken from my account several days later.

When I contacted the hotel directly to appeal this decision, I was told they had taken full payment as they were unaware of my cancellation. Strangely, I had received email confirmation from Booking.com which showed that they had contacted the hotel THREE times to inform them of my cancellation and had actually spoken to Barbara, one of the managers, who had 'refused' to accept the cancellation.

When I forwarded this information to the hotel, Barbara claimed the reason for not refunding me my money was now because I had made my cancellation less than 48 hours in advance.

Additionally, Barbara told me that as our cancellation had been refused, she 'naturally thought' that we'd still show up at the hotel and honour our reservation, so didn't go ahead and try to re-sell the rooms. I'm unsure as to why she assumed we would still show up when we had CANCELLED (3 times) and our reason for cancelling was a medical emergency; not simply because we changed our minds.

The reason for choosing this hotel in the first place was because thought it looked like a nice, welcoming, homely place which would provide a personal touch; we could easily have booked into one of the large, impersonal chain hotels

I realise the hotel is a money-making business and can't afford to have people constantly cancelling their reservation, but a little empathy and initiative could have been shown by the managers here.

Unfortunately, the combination of contradictory reasons the hotel gave me for taking my money ($178), combined with the lack of compassion shown by the hotel re. the circumstances under which I had to cancel, combined with the rude and unhelpful emails I received from Barbara, have made me regret ever making the booking in the first place.

Never again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Philippa E
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Great location, that is the only good point about that "Hotel"!
No breakfast facilities!
No tea and coffee facility!
Small rooms and full of dust for 100 euro pppn massive joke.
Owners r very much in your face all the time in great need of checking whats going on in Your room. Will not stay again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ageeoli
Reviewed 17 July 2013

There is very little to recommend about the Holiday Hotel located in Salt hill Galway City besides its fabulous location. Fabulous that is if you dont mind the run down and old fashioned nature of Salt Hill itself. The hotel is situated literally one minutes walk from the sea and close to a sea front parking area.
The hotel itself is very basic and over priced for what it provides. For the sum of 60 euros a night I shared a room with a friend of my with no breakfast facilities, no place even to go for a cup or tea and no tea facilities provided in the rooms. My friend who organised the outing managed to beg a kettle and tea bags (no milk) from the manage, a rather over friendly,in your face middle aged man who gave the impression of trying to be one up all the time. I wouldnt mind for myself but our party consisted of two older woman who, though very undemanding people, really needed their tea seeing it as a very basic home comfort. The room had no air condition so again my friend beg a fan from the manager, however, a few hours later he tried to get it back of us, I refused.The rooms where tidy and clean enough. The manager though seemed to feel the need to be in and out several times though for what purpose we could not fathom as we had told him we didnt need a clean up. The bathroom was very basic and not very nice but again clean enough and the shower was as old as me and I an't young.
The hotel rooms are accessed by a narrow stairs and so would not be suitable for those with mobility impairments. Would not recommend this hotel and definitely not to couples, young families, people looking for a bit of luxury, older people in fact would not recommend it to anyone except those who really want to be beside the sea and can not find anything else.

Room Tip: Call manager and ask for extras such as kettle, tea and so forth because it will not be provided unless you do. In this hotel you get the bare, bare basics.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KiwiCharley
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband I recently stayed here for a quick night in Galway. We chose this place at random, but we were very happy with it. The location is Salthill, right off the beach. Plenty to do in the neighborhood and downtown Galway is about a 25 minute walk or a short cab ride away. Ireland is currently experiencing record breaking and very unusual heat right now. We didn't stay in a single hotel or B&B that had air-conditioning, and that was just fine with us. With the ocean breeze, it was not a problem at all in Galway. However, Peter, the lovely Australian man who owns the hotel, was very concerned about our welfare and whether we would be okay in the room he had offered us. His kindness and genuine concern made the otherwise simple room, a very nice place to stay.
I don't recommend staying here if you are handicapped (lots of stairs), overly picky or if you aren't goood international travel. It is simple, and often when traveling you just need a friendly and clean place to lay your things and sleep- Holiday Hotel is perfect for the purpose.
The Office pub that is downstairs is a great place to grab a beer and Lohan's across the street is a great spot to eat breakfast.

Room Tip: Great beach location & friendly hosts!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple