“Had a lovely visit!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
Cornish, New Hampshire
“Had a lovely visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My mother and I stayed 2 nights here in the spring. We got caught in a rain and hailstorm on our (long) walk from the bus station to the B&B - Bridie was so friendly and welcoming when we arrived, she offered to dry our clothes for us, and make us some fresh hot tea. Bridie was incredibly friendly and helpful for our whole visit. My only negative comment was that our bathroom was quite small, but as we really weren't visiting Ireland to spend time in our room it wasn't a real problem. It was a reasonably priced, the breakfast was delicious, and Bridie was always lovely!

Eyre Square is about a 20 minute walk, Quay Street/Shop Street are about 10-15, and the prom is only 5-10 minutes. Not a bad centralized location! Good spot for folks traveling without a car, like we were (although we did wish we'd taken a cab on our way there so we would've avoided the hail storm!)

One note- be careful with Whitestrand Park, versus Whitestrand Road if using a GPS, or taking a cab. They're right next to each other.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Emily M,

Many thanks for your great review.

An average days weather here in Ireland during Spring can include all the seasons in one afternoon. Many a time the weather has caught us out too!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

The Thomson Family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at the Sli Na Mara with my 20 year old daughter and we had a wonderful time. Bridie & George were great hosts helping us with directions and sightseeing advice. The local cafés and restaurants were exceptional and we loved every day of our 3 day stay. We would recommend staying at this B&B the room was clean and the breakfast each morning delicious!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda V
Dear Amanda V,

Thank you for your super review!

We were only too delighted to host you and your daughter during your short stay here in Galway. Many thanks for your thoughts and impressions and we hope to see you again soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The B&B has a family-run feel, but with hotel quality. This place is excellent. The rooms are very clean (with white linens which I love), well decorated (simple and ellegant), good size bathroom. Girdie was a excellent host as well. She came and chatted with us when we arrived and gave us directions to the main street in town. She also provided a FANTASTIC breakfast in the a.m.

Lastly, the location is perfect. A 10 minute, very nice walk to the main street. Gives you a chance to see a part of Galway you might otherwise not.

The bed could use some upgrading; including new fluffier pillows. The ones provided were a bit flat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear kelliamurphy,

Many thanks for your top marks review!

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the very near future.

Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend spent one night in a really nice and lovely room with a really clean bathroom. The place is close to the city centre and it's easy to get there. The free irish breakfast was amazing!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jacopo L,

Many thanks for your 5 star review!

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I had high hopes for this place based on previous reviews. But then again those reviews weren't as recent. I never met George, but Bridie seemed ok. The breakfast was fine. One more nice thing was there's a nice short path to Salthill to enjoy the view of the bay. There are also converters and it's a 15 min or so walk to Quay Street which is always crowded. However, the room was tiny. There's no reasonable-sized proper trashcan to throw away waste. I constantly had to carry the trash downstairs every morning. The pillows were only two and flat. There's no AC or fan. TV was a tiny, flat screen but no cable which was misleading when I emailed about it. But their own TV in the breakfast room had plenty of working channels. Bugs are always entering the bathroom window. Plus a large daddy long-legged spider directly above my head making a web when I awoke this morning in bed. Next, the cacophony of people constantly coming in/out and slamming doors especially workers building shelves with their chattering and hammering and getting a good night's sleep here is impossible. Walls are thin and you can everything and anything. The worst was when I wasn't feeling well today and had to leave at 2pm and Bridie charged me for that night I wasn't staying. Really. I want that €40 back. If it wasn't for the insensitive, unnecessary charge, I would have given this place an average rating/3 green dots. But it's seems customer satisfaction is not important. Choose a different b&b like Oranhill Lodge or a hotel. Never again using a b&b or returning to Galway. On my way to Dublin to a proper accommodation. This tripadvisor app won't let me post pics on my phone so I will do so on my computer tonight or tomorrow.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank C E
SliNaMara, Owner at Sli Na Mara, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear C E,

Thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your experience at Sli Na Mara. I was very sorry to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay.
We always welcome constructive feedback from our guests regarding their stay at our home. It helps our modest business grow and further develop for future and repeat guests alike. We do however have some concerns regarding much of your feedback that I feel must be addressed and contextualised.

The work being carried out in the house during your stay did not commence until 11am on the day of your departure. Typically, this is a time when the vast majority of our visitors would be experiencing the sights and sounds of Galway. If any concerns were raised at the time, this work would have ceased at once.

I feel there is little we could have done to combat the unwelcome visit of bugs through an open window overnight other than to advise to close your window before going to bed.

It was particularly unfortunate that you decided to cut short your stay with us. Your departure at 2pm left us with little opportunity to clean your room, not to mention sell it, leading to the €40 charge. The best comparison I can make would be to ask if you would expect to pay for a meal if you left a restaurant half way through your main course, of your own accord, without raising any concerns? I feel it somewhat unfair that you failed to mention that we waived the following nights’ accommodation charge without question in your review.

In your closing comments, you advised to stay in a hotel among other places. The truth is that perhaps your expectations were more aligned for such accommodation and vastly more expensive options. In saying that, none of your experiences would have been uncommon in any hotel where I feel a 1 star review would be questionable.

We are immensely proud of our home and the service we offer guests from around the world. The anonymity of the internet means such reviews can be submitted with little affect to the author but leave devastating and hurtful repercussions to the recipient. It is with that fact in mind that I challenge your one star or “Terrible” rating with the evidence of 70+ reviews who say otherwise.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely and comfortable 4 night stay. Bridie & George were very welcoming, friendly and helpful hosts, just a short walk into city centre which was just fantastic. We bookrd a couhad wedding to attend, I had previously contacted Bridie by email for her suggestions of hairdresser to have hair done and she guided me in the right direction and booked a couple f months in advance, all the hassle was out of the road and We would go back again and definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SliNaMara, Owner at Sli Na Mara, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Madonna Y,

Thank you for your top marks review!

It was nothing short of a pleasure to look after you and your party during your stay! I think you will agree that an Irish wedding is something everyone should "experience" at least once! With ample recovery time afterwards of course :)

Thank you again for your kind words and thoughts!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 nights here. What a wonderful introduction to Galway and the friendly Irish people. 10 minute walk to grand pubs and great food. Leave the car in the drive and go exploring on foot after an Irish breakfast. It's been a pleasure.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SliNaMara, Owner at Sli Na Mara, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Peter Y,

Thank you for your five star review!

I believe you experienced Galway the right way, park the car and forget about it during your stay. We are fortunate to be located close enough to Galway city that the town can to explored easily on foot!

Thank you for your kind words, thoughts and great review!