“Good service, average food, pricey”

Royal Villa Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 493 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Good, friendly and quick service. The food is rather Thai/Chinese europeanised, definitely not genuine chinese, average to good. My steamed haddock in ginger sauce and spring onions was tasty, sadly the haddock overcooked and in turn very dry. That should not happen at this price-level.
My wife had "general Tso" with chicken. Not bad but lacking real taste. My daughter had "pinapple & ginger" with duck. She liked it, I found it too sweet, and again, lacking distinguishable taste.
In short, we expected better taste, and, sorry, real chinese food is another league.

2  Thank Klaus B
RoyalVilla, Owner at Royal Villa Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi Klaus B,
Thanks for visiting and taking the time to review and thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you found the service so good, we always aim to ensure customers are well taken care of. If you get the chance to visit us again please let us know and we can have our chefs prepare a more authentic Chinese dish for you - we are always happy to do so for anyone who is looking for a more traditional Chinese dishes.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Have visited 3 times now and have never been let down. The service is first class, location excellent and the food is the tastiest, freshest Chinese I have experienced. Well done to the team at Royal Villa

RoyalVilla, Manager at Royal Villa Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi WPS111,
Thanks for taking the tme to review our restaurant and thanks for coming to see us so many times. We look forward to seeing you again and will work hard to keep up the high standards you've experienced with us so far.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We return to Galway a few times a year and this is the first restaurant we want to visit. They were originally on Shop Street but closed some years ago and imagine my delight when out walking in Salthill a year or 2 ago I discovered Royal Villa. The owner (I think), Charlie, happened to be outside and I asked were they the same restaurant that used to be in the centre to town. "Yes", he said. We legged it out there first thing we could have have been back again and again. Food is always excellent, the staff are very friendly. One of the ladies, think she has been in Galway for over 20 years and she always welcomes us back and even enquired about my mother-in-law who she knew we came back to visit. Wine is good, they also have a good selection of beers. We have teenagers but it seems to be child-friendly also. I am here for another couple of weeks and I am already planning our next visit to Royal Villa.....
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

RoyalVilla, Owner at Royal Villa Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Hi Irish1965

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I'm glad you always enjoy your time with us. We are always very happy to see regular customers come back to see us again, especially ones who have been with us since the days of Shop St. The lady you mentioned is with us since we opened in Salthill and is a fantastic member of staff.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

It serves some of the best Thai food in Galway. Very rich and tasty food. They have a decent range of gluten free (coelaic) options available. It seems if they invested in gluten free soy they could increase this a huge amount. The staff are friendly and pleasant with a nice clean modern decor. The food is expensive for Thai but the early bird is great value!

1  Thank josh7519

Hi josh7519,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your meal with us and we're delighted you enjoyed it so much. We have tried to cater to our coeliac customers as we are aware there is so many people affected by this in the West of Ireland. We will be sure to take your feedback on board and source some gluten free soy sauce for the future and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were staying at the apartments near the aquarium, and decided to give the restaurant a try. 2 of us shared the roast duck with cantonese sauce, sambal sauced prawns, steamed dumplings and crabmeat sweet corn soup. They were all very very tasty and delicious. When you sit next to the window, you get a great view of the Salthill Promenade, which is really relaxing. One of the best Chinese meals I've had in Europe!

Hi nemrac_coco,
Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us. Hope you can visit us again to try out some other dishes. We count ourselves lucky with that fantastic view of the prom every day!