“Loved it here!”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I had dinner here for our last night in Ireland. Talk about ending on a high note! The place doesn't look fancy at all; in fact, it's super casual and the main decor is the bottles of wine on the shelves and the people gathering for post-work drinks. The atmosphere is not pretentious at all, just very come-as-you-are and chill. We stayed long enough to have two cheese boards and several glasses of wine. We sampled several different types of cheese that ranged from hard to soft, and all were excellent. Our server was very friendly. By the time we left, the place was packed. I'd kill to have a low-key wine bar like this in Boston where people don't have attitudes and just gather together to enjoy the wine and cheese!

There are newer reviews for Sheridans Cheesemongers

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Not only does this wine bar have the best selection of cheese in Galway but the best in Ireland! I am from Galway and visit Sheridans regularly. If you are reading this you will see I an a huge cheese fan and love their selection in the winebar and shop downstairs. Gerry and Martin always take such good care of us and always recommend an excellent wine to acompany your cheese/meat board....a MUST try :) enjoy!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Lovely cold platters, with cheese or meat, great wines, served by the glass, the man serving really knew the local produce and shared much info with us. Can recommend!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just popped in after the Grand National
Gerry the barman /waiter served us two classic red Italian wines
Don't tell anyone but because we had to stand as the place was busy he treated us to a lovely snack of crackers of Parma ham and cheese. Yummy

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We read about Sheridan's Cheesemonger in the Lonely Planet guide book and we just happened across it as we were touring Galway. We walked into the deli and they said it opened for dinner. The smell of the cheese made me drool. We popped into a few pubs before dinner looking for Trad music with little success so we headed to the wine bar and had the best wine and cheese we have ever had. I picked a bottle of wine and Jerry who was making the cheese boards suggested something different. He picked the perfect bottle with the cheese board he made. It is like walking into an Ontario Liquor Store for wine choices... pick it right off the wall and then having an expert match the cheese to go with the wine. How can you go wrong? It was extremely busy when we walked in... for good reasons, but a couple walked out just as we were arriving. I am so glad we stayed. Jerry was fun and well-humoured with our lack of wine and cheese knowledge. I wish I lived in Galway just so I could go to this wine bar. The price was reasonable. I have to say it is small, so you need to decrease the requirements for your personal space. There was a very loud and obnoxious man in the wine bar and you could hear him into infinity, but we made it part of the fun... mocking. Give it a try if you love wine and cheese.

1  Thank Julie H