“Gross...”

Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Austin, Texas
“Gross...”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

While the host was kind upon arrival, we were in a twin room which may have been a booking error. Regardless, the rooms were very dusty. So dusty, in fact, that my husband (we were on our honeymoon) had such a severe allergy reaction that we had to seek medical advice and seek out allergy medication. Not only were the rooms dusty, the bedding was old. The beds were so weak and used that they sank almost to the boxspring when we sat on them. The comforter/bedspread was dingy and stained. The pillows were very old and hard from overuse. The towels were ratty and discolored, mismatched and in need of an upgrade. The bathroom had one small shaving light that was pulled by string. There were mold marks lining the shower, the toilet and the sink.

The doors were very thin and since we were staying next to the stairwell we could hear every single conversation being held by the owner right in front of our door.

This room was not as advertised.

Furthermore, the B&B host who greeted us at the door had a room she was working out of across the hall. On our first night we sat on the stairs a good 40ft from the entrance and watched one of her friends/family members hang out of the balcony, obviously intoxicated, yell at ladies walking by on the sidewalk and parking lot. We saw the owner in the same room laughing and having a grand time, allowing this behavior to happen. Completely inappropriate.

This Bed and Breakfast charged us for morning meals, yet the cereals and cookies and crisps were left out, opened and exposed, from our arrival time on for the next morning. We did not even want to eat there because everything looked incredibly stale.

http://Booking.com as well as Ocean Crest B&B should be ashamed representing such a disgusting place on their website. Of course we did not want to spend the second night, the accommodations were horrid. We will be disputing these charges on our credit card.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hycaliber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here for 4 nights in late of May.
Room - Good size and clean. One issue with the shower was that water would spill over so you'll have water all over. Bathroom kind of small but we were ok with it. Breakfast was fine. We could have either continental breakfast or have could have irish breakfast.Good location if you are spending most of your time in Salthill. The beach is just across the street and you can take some nice walks on the promenade. It is a bit far walking to Galway Center. Maybe 20-30 minutes if you take the Ocean coast view. I think it's quicker if you take the other way. When we arrived we were told that the atm machine was out and it would be for the whole week so I couldn't pay with credit card. I didn't have money to pay the full amount so had to go to a bank to get money. So I would just be prepare to have cash in case this happens. I forgot the lady's name who cooked the breakfast, she helped us with reserving our trip to Aran Island which was a great tour. Overall our experience was good, but again if you are spending more time in Galway center a hotel in the center would be best, but I would recommend this guest house based on our good experience and if you are looking for a place in Salthill.
Hope this helps.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Good location. Staff very friendly. Views from breakfast great. Breakfast terrible. one opted for full irish, terrible quality. The others had continental breakfast. Very poor choice. Our room was on the ground floor. Bathroom very dark and only light in it was a shaving light. The room was just about clean. Wont be making a return visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Good location across 3-lane roadway to beach. Some shops within walking distance but had to drive into Galway central business district. Staff friendly and helpful when they were around. Two separate bedrooms; spacious with desk and table and chairs for eating in the room. Very tiny bathroom – we had to back into it to close the door. Poor upkeep of property, everything was rather dingy including bedding, towels, carpet. For example, one bedside lamp was missing a bulb (quickly replaced when brought to the attention of the staff). Very hard beds. Room did not include breakfast, which would have been an extra10 euros each. Great coffee shop down the road (Mocha Beans) where the 3 of us had wonderful breakfasts for 14 euros total. Wifi ok but worked best in back bedroom. Parking on property.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Ocean Crest. We were on the first floor, near the door, facing the road, and we did not have any problem with noise. Our room was large and the beds were comfortable. I thought the owner was very friendly and helpful. The reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is because it was a bit far to walk back late at night (6 euros taxi) and because there was no hot water for my friend in the morning. Shower was fine at night though. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shawna A
La Spezia, Italy
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

The b&b is located a few steps from one the beaches of salthill,Galway.the view is amazing and there is a bus stop that connect you the city centre or there is a lovely easy walk along the sea that leads straight to the Latin quarter. The stuff is rally helpful and kind to any request. My friends and I asked about the cliffs of Moher and Aron Islands and they kindly organised it at the best! I already recommended this place to many friends!
I would love to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Sarah D
Madison94
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Wished someone else has warned me about this B&B. Any bedrooms on the first floor face the super noisy road. So no peaceful sleep there. Other renters tromping in and out the front door or are hanging out in the hallway at all hours of the night. Very thin walls are in place so between the noise of people coming and going and the cars rushing by no sleep is possible. The shower is all of one inch off the floor with a flimsy curtain. Thus if you take a shower you're flooding the whole bathroom floor. Very unpleasant to step in huge puddles left from the flood while brushing your teeth or using the toilet. Breakfast was greasy and will make you feel nauseous all day. On top of that when checking out the woman proprietor despite repeatedly telling her I wanted to be charged in Euros apparently decided to rip me off a extra 3.5% using currency conversion and charge me in dollars. I don't need the woman proprietor to give me a absurdly high conversion rate when my bank gives me 0% to convert it themselves. Meanwhile, she kept telling me the dollar amount was "for reference" LYING through her teeth about it since it clearly states on the receipt final transaction was charged in dollars. VISA/Mastercard state that Merchants are suppose to give you a CHOICE BETWEEN EUROS OR DOLLARS. She DID NOT. Do yourself a favor and stay FAR FAR away from this SHADY, DISHONEST, LYING Bed & Breakfast Establishment.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple