“Small, friendly and very central hotel with a touch of pizzazz.”

Number 7 Cross Street
Ranked #57 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Gold Coast, Australia
“Small, friendly and very central hotel with a touch of pizzazz.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Although the room was 'cosy', it was nicely furnished and clean. Given the age and history of the building, I had no expectation of grand sized rooms. You could not fault the convenience to downtown Galway and all it's great nightlife. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast was way more than adequate.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are quieter - although you can close the window and use air conditioning.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had a fourth floor room, the hotel has no lift. There was no door to the closet, only four bare hangers in there staring back at me. Truly was nowhere to put my suitcase except on the floor half way in and half way out of the closet. The shower was so small that anyone over 200 pounds would NOT be able to get inside there. Which is fine, because frankly there was nearly zero water pressure anyways. The location cannot be beat-however, if you value sleepy time after hitting the bars you can forget about it. The noise from the street is far too loud, as well as the live bands performing at the bar next door will keep you up til near dawn. While the decor is cute, the walls are all scuffed from patrons dragging their luggage up and down the stairs as well as the walls in the rooms being completely scuffed. The registration office is shockingly small. I'm not kidding. For the price, I would stay up the street on Eyre Square at one of the fancier hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lawmama
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is certainly not the worst I have stayed in. But for the price I would expect a little more.

It is dated. Very dated, with peeling paint and stained carpet. It is small. Tiny in fact. So our double room only had space for one bedside table and a bed. Well, actually 2 beds as we didn't have the promised bed, but 2 singles pushed together. So it was uncomfortable as well as cramped. Helpfully the only Powerpoint in the room was located diagonally across the room from the bedside table, so we had to put anything we wanted charged on the floor. As there was limited room to get around the bed, this required a bit of a hop to get from one side of the room to another to avoid crushing whatever lucky appliance was getting charged.

Luckily we used our electronic appliances less than we thought we would. The promised wifi is available only if you sit on the staircase, not in the room or the breakfast area. As I had to work during our stay, it meant I had to sit in the staircase at awkward times talking and emailing, just to get work done. So I felt sorry for anyone who had to listen to that as I try to be a considerate guest when it comes to noise.

Which brings me finally the noise. It is central, so I wasn't expecting deathly quiet. But for €100 a night, I did expect some sort of attenuation. There was nothing. So we had street noise until the band at the pub started, then the band, then the DJ, and even when the pub closed, hens night screaming, taxis and other traffic horns and finally the domestic argument just as the sun came up. But there were no curtains, so it was bright as well. For the price, it is just criminal that they do not mention this issue when checking in, or reduce the noise with double glazing or something similar.

If you want some where to stay overnight for a girls weekend, or by yourself, this would be fine as a day pack would fit. If you are a couple, or have an average size suitcase, even overnight would be pushing the friendship. If you plan to stay for more than one night, go elsewhere. There are plenty of options in the same area, at the same price or cheaper, which will offer better value.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PickyLadyJ

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

cesky krumlov
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I spent in this hotel only one night, wish it had been longer. The staff were very helpful and very helped me with the planning of moving from Dublin to Galway. The hotel was small but very cozy with a great atmosphere. Everywhere smelled like lilies, simply beautiful. Hotel is right in the center of the old town, all around are shops and pubs - simply amazing atmosphere! The night was a little noisy, but that's normal in the city center! You must have a few beers and you will sleep very well! :)
The room was small but very cozy and clean. Internet in the room: the signal was not good, but I understand it, in old buildings it happens... and it was no problem for me. The breakfast was continental (salami, ham, cheese, bread, fruit, cereal ....) Good
I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Pemaquid, Maine
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Located in the heart of the Latin Qurter of Galway, 7 Cross Street offers small but comfortable rooms at reasonable pricing. This "boutique hotel" is somewhat dated and could use a bit of upgrading. The primary disadvantage to this facility is its proximity to a rather loud pub accross the street. The use of the interior shutter in the room made the late night revelry tolerable. Continental breakfasts and cordial staff make this a good value. Nearby parking with a special hotel rate is available a block away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We sadly returned from our 2 night break in Galway last week, we had originally booked a much larger hotel & on arrival realised what a mistake we had made! after a quick search online...We found 7 Cross Street, & we are so glad we did!! I immediately phoned to see if they happened to have a room available for 2 nights (sun&mon) and Hazel could not have been more accommodating! we arrived at 12 pm & left our bags with Hazel in reception, we went off to have a shop & bite to eat! The hotel is literally 2 minutes away from shopping, bars, beautiful cafes & restaurants....Perfect!! we returned at about 2pm to be shown to our room, which was spotlessly clean with lovely little en suite....they are not huge at all but it adds to the quaint character. We absolutely loved it! They serve a lovely continental breakfast with a choice of breads, croissants, cheeses & meat, yoghurts, fresh berries & juices. We would stay again & recommend to anyone going, yes there is a little noise but no more than you would expect in such a central location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RussJodie2013
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The location is excellent, you are literally just off shop street and the harbour which is the best location for Galway where all the bars, restaurants and shops are. You literally couldn't be closer! The room however was tiny! It was a double room but there is no way you could fit two people in this room. They did know on booking that I was alone so im sure they took this into account and probably have slightly bigger rooms. All in all I was very clean and nicely decorated. I would definitely stay again due to the location however I would definitely be requesting a bigger room! I paid 110 for the room which I though was too expensive for the room I got but again the location probably allows them to charge more.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms, especially if you are a couple.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo