“Good Food - Great Service”

Oscar's Seafood Bistro
Ranked #7 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$12 - US$62
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Best meal I've had all week. Very friendly staff and nice fresh seafood. Lots of choices and affordable prices. The place had a definite local feel to it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I previously gave a rave review for this restaurant, describing it as the best seafood joint in Galway. I don't know what has happened but last night I ordered fish and chips. The batter on the fish was dark dark brown and so crispy the knife barely could cut through it. The chips were similarly cremated and served like oven baked chips that were baked for 30 minutes too long. As disappointing as the standard of the food, was the attitude of the waiter, his inference was, that it somehow was my fault for not complaining immediately. Now a novice wait staff should have recognized the overcooked dish prior to delivering the food. I do not send food back to the kitchen, I have heard too many anecdotal tales of what happens to returned food. I hope this was a one off failure, but combined with the waiters attitude it may not be.

2  Thank 76NoelK76
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Oscars was a place I loved years ago, but in my opinion it had gone downhill. I decided to go back again..it's still run by the same crowd but rebranded a few years ago as a seafood restaurant. Went here recently I'll start with the positives..

- Excellent service - cannot fault it whatsoever. Friendly, welcoming, helpful etc.
- Very good ambience.

The starters were disappointing. Fish croquettes were dry and bland. The ribs were only ok.

Main courses - two of us got fish. One was very good. The other was average - the third person got a steak (it just wasn't a good cut and it simply didnt taste nice).

Deserts - got the chocolate pudding - again it was a bit dry and boring and lacking in any wow factor.

Overall wont be rushing back. It was a pleasant meal and the wine recommendation was good. The food was ok. If you're going to try it out make sure you are all fish lovers and secondly order from the specials menu. The items we got from a la carte disappointed.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Eat here recently with 3 others. Food was good but not that extra bit special one would expect for the price (starters closer to €10 rather than €5 and mains all round the €25 mark). Restaurant is nice and sever was friendly and knowledgable. Wine list is way overpriced however (vin de pays @ €25 was one of the cheapest with very little of quality under €30). Overall experience was fine but for these prices you can have a far more memorable experience at other restaurants in Galway including Aniar which is only a short distance away.

1  Thank Michael Q
oscarGalway, Owner at Oscar's Seafood Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to review Oscars, we do value genuine feedback from our customers.

With regard to your comments on our wine list we do not actually stock a Vin de Pays. We do have a Pays d’Oc from the Languedoc region, which most would consider far above the more standard Vin de Pays, that we sell at €23.50 and is the only wine we can find that may have caused confusion but still, we do not understand why you thought it was €25. Our wine list starts in price at €21.90 and has a wide variety of genuinely quality wines under €30. Indeed, in order for us to maintain our quality offering under €30 we have ourselves absorbed the recent budgetary price hikes so as not to pass it on to our customers.

The majority of our menu is based on the days catch so market prices dictate our prices. As you point out, almost all of our starters are below €10.00 but to sell them at €5.00 would be unrealistic as we will not ever consider reducing the quality of our food. With regard to our main courses the prices actually start at €14.50 and cover a range of prices with only the most expensive minority being in the €25.00 range such as Turbot, Monkfish and Scallops. Additionally, our main courses are complete meals including vegetables and potatoes so it is not necessary to order extra sides. From Monday to Friday we offer a €15.00 value menu that is uncompromising in quality and, frankly, unbeatable in value. We only use the absolute best produce with vegetables being sourced on local farms, meats from local butchers and of course our seafood from local fishmongers, fishermen and producers.

Thanks again for your feedback and we do apologise if we in any way contributed to your confusion with our wine list. We have double checked to ensure that it is clear.

By the way, we also agree that our neighbours, the Michelin starred Aniar, is a great restaurant!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I used to live around the corner from this restaurant and ate here for every special occasion. Heading back to Galway with a few friends and this is a must on the itinerary. I am very excited!!