“Decent family-style hotel”

Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Warsaw
“Decent family-style hotel”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This is a pretty good mid-range, reasonably priced hotel. They have not gone crazy with super 5 star facilities - no bad thing. The pool & gym are good, bar food is middle of the road and rooms (or at least mine) a little old fashioned & tired but perfectly comfortable. Free, high quality wifi and vey friendly staff are a real plus. Rooms a little noisy for my taste (no sound insulation from the corridor outside).

• Stayed November 2011
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear 'LolaWarsaw',

Thank you so much for your post following your stay with us. Feedback is very important to us and is always welcomed. At all times, feedback is addressed where it is necessary to do so.

Bearing out current economic situation in mind, we have endeavoured to provide best possible rates throughout the hotel whilst not affecting our levels of service or quality in any way. This is of the utmost importance to us.

All areas of the hotel are maintained to the highest possible standard at all times and our winter refurbishment programme is now being carried out. From your post, we are not sure of the room number which was assiged to you so unfortunately cannot give accurate information specific to it.

Thank you again for having taken the time to post your review and we hope that we will welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

The Ardilaun Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed at the Ardilaun in November while on holiday from the United States. Our stay was two nights and we were given a room in the renovated section of the hotel - (between 224 and 238). Our room was beautiful, overlooking the gardens with a huge king bed and tons of space in the room. It was the best room in our three hotel stay on our trip.
The front desk staff was helpful and friendly, never seeming to be put out that we were asking so many questions. They even helped with instructions on calling back home. My only complaint is that the wireless internet here was nonexistent even though the front desk staff insisted that it was available and working. I even used the computer in the business center and lost my connection there several times.
There is a beautiful leisure center on the ground level of the hotel. I am guessing this is so nice because the public has access to it, but the pool and gym were the nicest I've seen in any hotel in which I've been a guest. I used the workout facilities and it was as nice as my gym at home. Breakfast in the morning was a full buffet breakfast with prompt service.
The best part of this hotel is the Blazers Bar which serves a full menu and on slow nights, has the food which would be served in the restaurant. We ate dinner here both nights of our stay because the food was that good. I don't think I missed out on any food in the towns of Galway or Salthill. The entrees were about 17 euros each, but well worth it as they came with a full dish of potatoes and vegetables.
The bartender there, Thomas, provided a friendly welcome and caused us to stay there to drink and talk instead of going into town.
All in all, we loved this stay, the accommodations were by far our best on the trip and I would definitely stay here again.
(Free parking, close to the City Center - 1km away and close to Salthill as well)

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room - it's worth the walk!
Dear 'vbmegs',

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are grateful that you have let others know.

If you visit Ireland again in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards,
dublin
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I have just returned from a weekend away and I was disappointed with the Ardilaun. When I booked the weekend I requested that we have a renovated room as I was aware there was an old part and a new part, and I was informed that it would be €20 extra for a renovated room. I agreed to pay the extra but when we were shown to our room it did not look very good so I asked was this a renovated room and was told it was. We were a little disappointed, but decided to just enjoy our stay so when we went to turn on lights they did not work and they were unable to fix them so we were moved to another room. This room was beautiful and nothing like the other room and the hotel staff member that helped us move told us that this was the renovated section of the hotel. So beware.... we were paying extra but were lied to about the room. Also, the first drink in the bar had an old milk rim on the glass which I did not notice until it was nearly empty, one of the meals had to be sent back as it was not cooked properly, and there was a terrible damp smell in some parts of the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but the 4 stars were not reflected anywhere in the hotel except for the staff.

Room Tip: If you want a room to sleep in and nothing else from a hotel, this place is good. The renovated room...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear 'DublinJacky',

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us when you were in Galway recently.

While we are disappointed to read your review, we are grateful to you for your feedback. All feedback is very important to us and each review is communicated throughout the hotel and addressed where it is felt necessary to do so.

We would like to apologise to you again for the inconvenience to you when you were with us in relation to the light fault / room move and thank you again for bringing the fault, which was rectified as quickly as possible, to our attention.

Customer service is of the utmost importance to us here at The Ardilaun - we have very recenly been awarded 'AA Ireland Courtesy & Care Award Winner 2011 - 2012'. This is a most prestegious award and one which is only presented where continuous work and dedication in this area is recognised.

I can give you my absolute guarantee that you were certainly not 'lied to'. I have gone through the history of your booking details and confirm that, as requested at time of booking, a superior room was initially assigned to you. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the lighting in this room. As a token of our apology for your inconvenience you were upgraded to a deluxe room. Over recent years we have spent €12m on a redevelopment programme which was in two phases - our deluxe rooms are the newest rooms in the hotel with our superior rooms having been built in the previous phase. Those rooms which were not within our redevelopment programme, i.e. the original rooms of the hotel, have or are being refurbished.

Sincere apologies for the problem you experienced in the bar. I can assure you that this is not our standard and it has been brought to the attention of our bar manager.

In relation to your comments re: food and odour - unfortunately I cannot find any specific details so cannot provide feedback to you you.

Again, thank you for booking with us. We would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel so please do not hesitate to contact us should you be visiting Galway again in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Just wanetd to write a quick review of my experience to date with the team, Orla specifically, in the Ardilaun Hotel.

I recently got engaged and am planning a wedding from Australia in Galway, Ireland. Planning a wedding can be stressful enough without having to pick suppliers online.

I always liked the Ardilaun and the pictures and friends reviews were great. However it is hard to book a hotel for your wedding without seeing it first.
From the first email I received from Orla at the Ardilaun I knew I was in safe hands. She answered all my questions, and I had a lot! Sent me as many additional pictures of the rooms etc. I email her regularly with questions, change my mind and basically plague her and each email I receive from her is more helpful and nice than the last! She has great advice around flowers etc also and ways to save money.

I would highly recommend the team there and look forward to my upcoming visit in January to see it all for myself.

Dear 'aslanaustralia',

Thank you so much for your tripadvisor review.

We are truely grateful to you for having chosen our hotel as the venue for your most special occasion. We know how important this day is to you both, to your families and to your friends and it is our pleasure to be working with you in the planning.

In 2012 we will celebrate 50 years as a hotel and wedding venue - something we are very proud of. Since 1962, the Ryan Family (local to Galway) have owned and managed The Ardilaun.

Our awards this year include 'Irelands Wedding Venue of the Year for Connacht' and 'AA Courtesy & Care Award for 2011 - 2012'. Awards are achieved through dedication and genuine interest in those we work with and help.

We very much look forward to continuing to work with you in the planning and to welcoming you and all of your guests to the hotel on your Wedding Day.

Kindest Regards,
Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My family and I are just back from a two night stay in the Ardilaun. We really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful, without exception. We had our 4 year old daughter and 20 month old son with us and we were all made to feel very welcome, it is a very family friendly spot. The pool was lovely, especially the baby pool which the children really enjoyed. The décor is a little frayed around the edges but the service and welcoming atmosphere more than makes up for it. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and dinner there too. I felt there was a lovely homely olde world atmosphere in the Ardilaun which is often missing from more modern chain hotels. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear 'laljog',

Thank you for your review.

We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us recently. The hotel is family owned and managed and we will celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2012 - something we very much look forward to with pride.

We would be delighted to have you back as our guests again in the future.

Kindest Regards,
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I booked our stay for my husband's 40th birthday & I couldn't have given him a more perfect present. We had a wonderful stay. Our dinner on Friday night was first class & the leisure facilities were excellent. We will be coming back in the new year!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor & it was very quiet.
1 Thank ShellMaher
Dear 'ShellMaher',

Thank you for having chosen The Ardilaun for your recent stay in Galway.

It is lovely for us to know that you and your husband enjoyed the birthday celebration weekend with us and we thank you for your review.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in 2012.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Just back from a wonderful three day break in the Ardilaun Hotel; Very impressed on arriving lovely grounds, I loved the different lounges to relax in and the open fire. Very efficient check in, the bedroom and bathroom were nice comfortable bed and quiet. The staff are really excellent, so friendly and helpful. The bar and bistro give gorgeous food,great variety for dinner and snacks. We had the set menu one evening as part of our package it was only ok. The Camilaun restaurant was closed for renovations. Breakfast was your average buffet style. Very nice leisure centre, steam room not working because of installation problems. The only complaint I have is that the hotel is very hard to find, the directions not great, but we did get there, also you are on top of the hotel when you see the sign. Overall I would highly recommend to friends and I most certainly would stay there again.

3 Thank wexford007
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear 'wexford007',

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. We are very grateful to you and welcome all feedback.

You review, like all received, has been communicated throughout the hotel with your comments in relation to dinner and breakfast have been highlighted. We are sorry to reveive this feedback as it would certainly not be the norm but I can assure you that it has been brought to the attention of our head chef.

In terms of signage to the hotel, this is something that we are currently addressing as we are aware that it has been highlighted previously. Unfortunately, in line with local council rules, it
is proving a little more difficult than we would like to resolve the issue. To assist guests and visitors, our website includes direction information to the hotel.

Apologies also for any inconvenience to you with our Camilaun Dining Room and our Leisure Club Steamroom not being available during your stay. The renovation / maintenance is now complete.

Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.