The Ardilaun Hotel
The Western Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$142
US$135
US$204
US$166
  • Bar/Lounge
Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$74
  • Bar/Lounge
US$210
  • Breakfast included
The Coach House Hotel(Oranmore)(Great Value!)
US$72
Travelocity
1,549 results
All reviewsleisure centreblazers bardog friendly hotelbeauty salonleisure clubwedding receptionwedding venuesuperior roomrelaxing breaklovely hotelbar foodfunction roombit datedenjoyable staygalway cityboth nightsfrom start to finish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here recently for a two-night stay (Thurs & Friday) and booked twin room using Select Hotels voucher but had to pay €50 surcharge for Friday night - only informed of the surcharge by Select Hotels after voucher was booked!! It's quite a distance from the city centre and you definitely need car or taxi to get there and back....otherwise you're looking at a 30-minute walk!

It's a four-star hotel but this place definitely needs a major revamp - many three-star hotels around today have worn the test of time! It prides itself on its ye old-world charm (hotel was opened I believe in 1962) but judging by the dated reception area, bar, restaurant, not to mention the worn-out old-style 1960s lifts to rooms and the rooms themselves, it needs some serious work.

The twin-bedroom was very dated, beds were very uncomfortable, blankets instead of duvet (in this day and age!), the old box TV, limited channels, TV remote didn't work properly, old mahogany furniture, and basic bathroom with curtain rail and basic amenities...need I go on!

We availed of breakfast on first morning of our stay - but the usual hum drum buffet breakfast offering nothing else....a bit of thought could go into offering continental options etc...so we skipped breakfast on second morning and opted for nearby Salthill instead.

We didn't dine in restaurant on either night, nothing special on menus in either bar or restaurant, preferring instead to go into town since Galway has great range of bistros and restaurants anyway. But taxi costs in and out mount up - so be prepared to spend a bit on this mode of transport, unless you prefer to drive in or walk!

Yes, as other reviewers have said, the staff are extremely friendly etc....but the hotel itself could do with a makeover - and on first night after coming back from the city centre, the place was like a morgue - bit more lively on Friday night with tourists etc, but again we opted for city centre.

I'm sorry to say I would not recommend this place for the simple fact that it's too far from town, and it doesn't offer any incentive to dine in the hotel itself or stay around for the evening as they don't offer any entertainment in the lounge.

We didn't check out the leisure centre so cannot comment on that....the spa treatments in the salon were quite excessive and much better places at less the price in the city centre. It pays to shop around!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My son, my daughter and I had a lovely stay in the Ardilaun. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the food was great and our rooms were very clean and comfortable. We were delighted with every aspect of our stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sean R
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Sean,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your stay with us recently.

We are most happy to know that you and your family enjoyed staying with us and we hope that you will come back again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed in this hotel recently and because I had heard such good reports about it I was really looking forward to staying here. I have to say I was dissapointed. Initially, we were allocated a room on the 4th floor and on opening the door the smell of must/damp hit us and I immediately went back to reception to request another room. The staff on reception were very helpful indeed and apologised and allocated another room to us on the 3rd floor which was fine, not great, but fine. However, the shower in this room was an absolute nightmare it went from freezing cold to scalding hot without ever touching the controls on it !! I know a lot of people don't like entertainment at night but I do and I really thought there would be music of some description in the hotel at the weekend but the Receptionist said they never provide entertainment as there are always private functions taking place in the hotel. I was very dissapointed as the hotel is a good walking distance to the nearest entertainment venue and if I'm honest had I known this I probably wouldn't have booked to stay here. We had lunch in the bar on the day we arrived and honestly I didn't think the food was great, the service was, but not the food and not cheap either. Breakfast was o.k. The positives of this hotel are firstly, the staff, they are very helpful. Secondly, the hotel is a very nice hotel and for people who just want to read a book or have a quiet drink in the evening it is ideal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 706bot
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed at the Ardilaun for 1 night on a CIE tour of Ireland. After a long intensive day of touring, this hotel was a welcome respite from the chaos and excitement. The desk staff greeted us with big smiles, and my room was spacious and comfortable. Free wifi was a treat. The dining rooms are immaculate, with lovely crystal Chandeliers everywhere. Dinner was delicious, and breakfast included a lavish variety of warm and cold dishes. I highly recommend this Hotel.....my compliments to the Management!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

We are so delighted to know that you enjoyed The Ardilaun and its comfortable surroundings.

If you are returning to Ireland again at any point in the future, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and my husband stayed for two nights for the price of one - absolutely excellent value. On arrival at the hotel we were met by reception staff who were so friendly and efficient. The hotel lobby is very warm, relaxing and welcoming. Room was excellent, very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was wonderful, excellent service and the setting of the dining room was very impressive. Overall all we could not fault this hotel and would highly recommend it to all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa B
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Teresa,

What lovely feedback - thank you so much. We are very grateful to you that you chose to stay with us recently and that you have taken the time to let other tripadvisor users know about your stay.

We are absolutely delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit and hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Best Regards,