“Fantastic Hotel”
Review of The Ardilaun Hotel

The Ardilaun Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are a family of 5 and stayed for 3 nights..the staff were always really nice, helpful and friendly especially with our kids. The family room was really spacious, spotless and always plenty of towels etc.. and the wifi came in handy with the children..The air conditioning made a big difference and comfortable as it was quiet hot during our stay.The lobby is really big and spacious especially when you have younger kids. There are lots of brochures and leaflets on the area, theres a direct line to a taxi company and the reception staff were always obliging and nice to us. The staff in the bar were so nice, one bartender gave my kids cookies and another gave them a jug of miwadi juice no charge..We had a meal in the bistro on our first night and we really really enjoyed it..I had the black pudding starter and steak for main, my husband had the smoked salmon starter and duck leg main. They were really delicious, my steak was cooked to perfection, the staff were so nice and the atmosphere was really relaxing and comfortable. On our 3rd night we dined in the restaurant. The food here in my opinion wasnt as fantastic as the bistro. I had the chicken and bacon caesar as a starter but I didnt get any bacon in it and I ordered the Hake but for me it was ok, my husband ordered the fishcake and trout main which he enjoyed. The waitress was really nice and friendly, she chatted with my kids, I asked for more sauce for my kids pasta and she got for them no problem, she brought them an extra bowl of fries also.Only faults I had was she asked me if I would like tea but she never brought it. I wasnt too bothered because I hadnt planned to have a tea anyway and even though I had received an email advising me to prebook our table, which I did, on the evening they didnt have any record of my booking so we had to wait in the lobby for about 10 min for a table, the head waiter (I think) did apologise and suggested we wait in the bar and it was clear to us anyway that they were really busy as there was a few large parties already dining and staying in the hotel. If I was to choose to dine again I would definitely recommend the bistro firstly. However, the breakfast buffet in the restaurant was flawless. Full Irish, many cereals, breakfast juices, fruits, breads (the fresh brown bread was so tasty) and breakfasts cakes. The leisure centre was fabulous, we went twice to the pool. We were supplied with towels, there are armbands supplied for kids ( its a good idea to advertise this as I had bought a tube for my youngest and I probably wouldnt have if Id known before.) The pool was spotless and fun and again staff were great. The grounds outside were fantastic, we loved exploring the little wooded area and took a few lovely pics. We got a taxi to Salthill but we walked back, it took us about 20 min, my 3 year old managed it but I wouldnt recommend if you are not a good walker. Theres a supermarket, Joyces about 15-20 min walk from the hotel and a pizza restaurant, Capones. One suggestion would be to have some live music, something simple. We noticed alot of tourists and coach parties visiting and Im sure they woud have loved to have been able to return to the hotel after a day sightseeing and have a small group or soloist even playing some nice mellow traditional Irish music to round off the evening. .... Overall we had an amazing stay and I cant wait to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,

A most sincere thank you to you for having taken the time to post such a wonderful and informative review following your family stay at The Ardilaun.

We are really delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel and in Galway. It was a pleasure to have had you as our guests and we thank you for having chosen to stay with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another stay in the future.

The Ardilaun Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were a family of 4 and had a perfect 7 nights stay. The staff is very helpfull and the rooms were good and spotless. The leisure centre really made the trip as we did not have Beach weather. Hotel is in walking distance from both Salthill and Galway City. The restaurant is a bit expensive, but the food was really nice. All in all a perfect stay.

1  Thank DamTom

Dear Guest,

Thank you.

We are delighted to read your review following your recent stay with us and we are grateful to you for posting your review.

It is lovely to know that you and your family enjoyed being with us and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour of Ireland. The hotel was beautiful and the room met all of our needs. The only downside for us, was that WIFI was down for a majority of the time and we had to go down three floors to use the WIFI in the lobby. Also, the hotel is gorgeous but a distance from the middle of Galway. You will need to allocate funds to get taxi cabs into town at night, as it is NOT walking distance.

1  Thank Brendan P
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Brendan,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Sincerest apologies in relation to the issue you experienced in terms of Wi-Fi connection. This has now been rectified.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Booked a stay at this hotel for two nights. On check-in at the hotel me and my husband were treated so badly by the young man on reception. I have no idea how he managed to get a job in customer service because his attitude was appalling. He was so unhelpful and just plain rude to us. Fist impressions are everything and this man left us wishing that we had never booked to stay here. We will certainly never be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alley90

Dear Guests,

It is with great disappointment that I read your tripadvisor review. I want to give you my personal assurance that this is certainly not the feedback we regularly receive. All feedback is very much welcomed, is communicated throughout the hotel to each department and is addressed where it is necessary to do so.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience a little more in person. If you would be so kind as to make contact with myself or our reservations manager (Kate Colleran) I would be grateful.

The Ardilaun Hotel is operating since 1962 as a family owned and managed hotel. Staff friendliness and customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us.

I hope to hear from you at your convenience.

Kindest Regards
John Ryan

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have stayed in this hotel a couple of times. And once again it didn't let us down. Staff very pleasant from reception to dining room. We enjoyed two lovely meals in the restaurant and our room was very comfortable. It's a nice walk down to Salthill and not too far from the city.

Kenn and catherine

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Catherine,

Thank you. We are very grateful to you for having taken the time to post your review following your recent visit to our hotel. It is always lovely to know that people have enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for having chosen The Ardilaun and we hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Spent a great night in the Ardilaun Hotel. The leisure centre was great, the breakfast was fantastic, the staff were all friendly and helpful and it had a great, beautiful location. It was also brilliant value for Galway and for this time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in the original part of the hotel as it does not have air conditioning an...

Dear Grainne,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As is the case with all feedback received, yours has been communicated throughout the hotel to each department.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Ardilaun hotel looked after us for our wedding weekend and reception and the care and attention that our wedding co-coordinator and staff provided for the entire time was second to none.Not only us the Bride and Groom but the bridal party and friends,family and relations were made feel special the whole weekend.The food,attention to care along with the accommodation we couldn't have asked for more and we implore all those looking at having your wedding day somewhere, to look at the Ardilaun hotel to meet your needs.Beautiful hotel, with a fantastic staff. Very charming and upscale. The rooms were big and the beds comfortable. There's a nice little trail in the back to take a short walk and unwind particularly for any wedding photos.We cant thank them enough.Robert and Imelda Murphy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert & Imelda,

Thank you SO much - sincerely. We are very grateful to you both for having chosen The Ardilaun as the venue for your very special day. It was an absolute pleasure to have worked with you throughout the planning and to have had you, your family and friends as our guests on the day.

We thank you for having shared your feedback here on tripadvisor and we wish you a most fabulous future as 'Mr & Mrs'.

Warmest Regards,