“Location, superior service, fantastic food”
Review of Menlo Park Hotel

Menlo Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Orlando, Florida
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,839 helpful votes
“Location, superior service, fantastic food”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Weather delays caused me to miss the original July 16 flight to Ireland, to meet up with a guided tour group. Arriving the next day after the group had left for a daylong excursion, I was left to my own devices. I arrived at Menlo Park Hotel (adjacent to the titular park), and received a surprising welcome. Hotel staff were aware that I had missed the flight but did not know if the reason was medical or some serious injury. Everyone with whom I spoke expressed concern and welcomed me. That brightened my day! The manager had kept room 213 available for me, not knowing when I would arrive. That room has a large shower area that includes the sink. The shower has a flat but sloping floor for wheelchair access, and the shower alone is as large as some bathrooms in the US. Reminiscent of my youth in rural North Carolina, there is no closet, but instead a wardrobe—an upright piece of furniture used for hanging clothes and storing luggage.

Menlo Park Hotel is a 70-room, 3-story Tudor style constructed 60 years ago, but has undergone an extreme makeover to provide a 5-Star effect for this conference hotel. The favorite drink at Bar Beoga is a pint of Guinness stout, a beer dark as espresso with café-au-lait-colored foam that must breathe before more beer fills the pint-size glass and served. The cost is 4.1 euros, about $5.60, but subtracting a 23 percent VAT [Value Added Tax, or consumption tax] makes for a price comparable to a 16-ounce beer at a bar in the US. Think of it as a sales tax, or the government taking three eggs out of each dozen carton you buy. So much for Congress wanting to tax Americans more! Thus a meal that costs ten euros is really seven. The phenomenal restaurant where the tour group pigged out on an endless variety is Bia Beo, which is appropriately translated from the Irish language to mean “Lovely Food.”

“Lovely Food” and spacious, clean rooms that offer excellent sleep quality aside, Menlo Park Hotel offers something that can’t be found on its website, MenloParkHotel.com. That feature is a friendly, helpful staff that genuinely cares for travel weary guests and conference attendees. The restaurant manager provided an exquisite meal at no cost on my second day, as I had missed the Welcome Dinner for the tour group of 40 members. Few hotels in the States express this generosity and caring for guests. Way to go, Menlo Park!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank DeanMurphy2020
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear DeanMurphy2020,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our hotel following your recent stay with us at the Menlo Park Hotel.

I am absolutely delighted to read your review and find you were satisfied with each aspect of our hotel from staff, to the hotels facilities and services to the bedroom. I am thrilled that all staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. I am glad to see that you were accommodated on the second night in the restaurant after missing the group dinner and were happy with the selection and quality of food.

I have passed on your very kind and lovely comments to all the team.

We would love to welcome you back in the near future if you decide to visit Galway again.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I chose the Menlo Park based on the Trip Advisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. I booked a smoking-free room and I arrived around 8pm. Check-in was smooth and helpful; I ate in the bar and found the level of service and quality of food to be first class. The room was faultless: comfortable bed, good space in the room with tea/coffee/hairdryer and good telly, walk-in shower (see pictures). Breakfast was the standard hot buffet: one minus here was that porridge wasn't on: just the usual cardboard cereals. Fruit selection was okay. The helpful reception staff provided me with a sketch-map with directions to get to that day's destination in the City Centre. The location was quiet and there appeared to be a shopping centre within walking distance. Another guest told me he'd walked in to the City Centre in 20 minutes at a leisurely pace. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or family visit to Galway.

Room Tip: You can book no smokin rooms. Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear virtual-inspector,

Thank you for taking the time to review us following you recent stay with us at the Menlo Park hotel. I am so glad to read you had a very enjoyable experience and were not disappointed after choosing us based on other trip advisor reviews.

I am delighted you were happy with our service, that the receptionists could help you to find your way into and around Galway city and you were happy with our food, both our bar food and breakfast. We do provide a selection of cereals on the buffet such as Cornflakes, Weetabix, Muesli etc but while porridge is not on the buffet we do offer this on our breakfast menus.
I am very happy you found your room to be faultless and the location of the hotel to be ideal for you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As usual the reception was warm and welcoming, service excellent, food good and room clean and comfortable. I have stayed here on several occasions and never been disappointing. It is always a real bonus when the receptionist recognizes you!

Room Tip: They are all good, but the more you are prepared to pay the better the room. All good value
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reidit,

Thank you choosing the Menlo Park hotel once again for your return visit to Galway and for taking the time to post us a lovely review. I am delighted to know that this is your third time back with us and you are not disappointed each time you stay with us.

I am very happy to know that the receptionist recognised you from you previous stays and you find all staff to be warm and welcoming and the food of an excellent quality. I will pass on your kind comments to all of the team.

If you would like to email me at guestrelations@menloparkhotel.com when you are returning to Galway and I would be delighted to look after you.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The location was excellent. Close to the city centre and all amenities. Staff all very pleasant and helpful. Rooms and all areas of the hotel clean and neat. Decent sized bedrooms. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank jomacg
Dear jomacg,

Thank you for choosing the Menlo Park hotel recently for your forthcoming visit to Galway city and for taking the time to review us.

I am delighted to read you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us and found all staff to be pleasant and helpful and were happy with the bedrooms and location of the hotel.

Dublin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed in The Menlo Hotel in July and have to say it was a real surprise the level of service we received. When we went to book they advised they only had a smoking room ( my partner is a smoker ) happy days .
Room was OK a little dated, but we did notice new rooms ( for non smokers i assume ) Bed was comfortable and a flat screen TV .
The hotel is about 14 mins walk or 5 mins drive outside the city .

breakfast was a real treat , Full self service menu or you have the option of a menu ranging from salmon ,Omelettes to pancakes etc,
We had dinner on one night and food was excellent.
The staff are the real selling point for the Menlo all the staff where friendly ,helpful , and courteous .
My wife like to have a few cups of tea during the evening and we asked for extra milk , every day the room staff kindly left extra tea bags & a jug of fresh milk ( its the little things that make the difference )

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DuG
Dear DuG,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Menlo Park Hotel.

Your heading sums it all for us and is wonderful to think that our staff represent a good Irish welcome. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and that along with our friendly and helpful staff you enjoyed the quality and service of our food, both for breakfast and dinner.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our rooms which is being done in stages.

Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had lunch here on Thursday last during Galway race week with a group of friends about ten of us some with special needs and we were very well looked after by a wonderful staff. They reserved a quite corner for us in the dining room which suited our needs perfectly. The lunch was A Le Carte and there was a great variety of lovely food. The staff were on hand to help the people with special needs and gave us great attention.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standered.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear noelens,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your lunch with us last Thursday.

I am absolutely delighted to read you all enjoyed your meal with us and that everyone was looked after and catered for and that the staff were attentive and helpful to you.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We are driving around Ireland so the location of Menlo Park was perfect for us. It has ample car parking and a very convenient and frequent bus into Galway City nearby. In summer and race week we did not want to drive right into the centre! We booked a classic twin room that was spacious with a large bathroom with bath. The tea making facilities with complimentary biscuits, chocolates and water was appreciated after a long day of travelling. We ate in the restaurant and found the menu selection and wine list very good. Overall a traditional and good quality hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank citydreamer
Dear citydreamer,

Thank you for choosing us as your choice of stop over in Galway city recently and for taking the time to review us.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and found our hotel conveniently located for you for going into the city centre and for accessing other routes. Thank you for your lovely comments on our rooms and food, I am so glad you found the menus to be very good.

I will pass on your lovely comments to the rest of the team here at the Menlo Park hotel.

Enjoy the rest of your trip around Ireland and hopefully you will come visit Galway and us again in the future.