“five star”

Menlo Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Galway
“five star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

a very nice hotel big and clean rooms with tea and cake in the room. wifi free parking free nice and helpfull staff the resturant and pub are ineresting. the location is about 2 kilometers from center.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear galinzvi,

Thank you for choosing the Menlo park hotel for your recent stay in Galway city and for taking the time to review us. am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found all staff to be nice and helpful and were happy with the rooms and free Wi-Fi provided.
I will pass on your kind comments to all the team.
We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Coleraine, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

booked and got non smoking room(115) however it was directly above the bar door where everyone stood to smoke we had a continuous waft of smoke and chatter until 2am and this was on a Monday night. My husband had to attend meetings the next morning from 8.30am and was certainly not well rested or refreshed as was the reason for booking into the Menlo.I did leave comment on the feedback card as we were in a hurry in the morning, however to date I have had no response.This room was bland and stuffy hence the open window very disappointed

Room Tip: not above bar on ANY night
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear may71980

Thank you for choosing the Menlo Park hotel as your choice of place for your visit to Galway city recently and for taking the time to review us, all feedback is hugely important to us.

On behalf of the hotel I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the noise disturbances you experienced had you made us aware on the night we would have done our best to minimise the noise levels.

I would also like to apologise that your comment card was not followed up with, we do take feedback seriously & respond to all comments cards unfortunately somehow yours was missed.

We regret that your experience with us was not satisfactory. We do hope that you would consider staying with us again & giving us the opportunity to look after you.

Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

hotel is bit dated, no AC which is pretty uncomfortable in hot weather...bar food ok, had dinner there one night and food not great....overcooked mush....staff in restaurant bit aloof and generally unavailable....wouldn't recommend for the price we paid. ....on the plus side, reception and cleaning staff very helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lingo33

I was delighted to see that you found both the reception & cleaning staff very helpful & I have passed this on to them.

I was disappointed to read however that you did not enjoy the bar food & found the restaurant staff to be aloof. I would appreciate if you could contact me to discuss theses matters further.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I booked my parents into this hotel for 2 night stay, which was changed very last minute to a 3 night stay. The hotel staff was very accommodating & helpful to me on the phone, even thought the hotel was extremely busy at this peak time.
On my parents return home they could not have praised the hotel, food and staff & service enough. All very friendly and helpful. They had a great time. They had been upgraded on arrival with a personal card and chocolates awaiting in their room for their wedding anniversary.

They went on a tour of the cliffs of moher, which they really enjoyed. They really enjoyed their stay here at this hotel and would recommend to others.
Thank you for making this trip so pleasant and enjoyable for our parents.

Stayed August 2014
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Jobootsx

Thank you for choosing us for your parents stay in Galway and for taking the time to review us. We are delighted to see your parents had such a positive experience they have recommended others to choose us also.

I am so thrilled to read they had an amazing stay with us & found all the staff to be friendly & helpful Thank you for your lovely comments on the room and that the little extras made the difference.

I will pass on your wonderful comments to all the staff.

We look forward to welcoming them back to the hotel in the near future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We chose this hotel for it's convenient location to the town and surrounding areas. Its an easy walk into town or there is a bus stop outside. Although we were there on a Thursday rush hour so the traffic on the nearby roundabout was busy, the bus would have been a slower journey that the 15 min walk.
The only strange thing we found was the tv in the room was in a place that was hard to view when lying on the bed. It waqs sort of over the other side not facing us. A bit more thought on the location of that would have been nice./

Staff were amazingly helpful. We would recommend the Ard Bia at Nimmo's restaurant by the Spanish arch to eat. Not the cheapest place but great food and service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MikeM

Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent stay with us at the Menlo Park hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am thrilled that you found our staff friendly and helpful and found the hotel to be conveniently located.

Thank you for bringing the issue with the TV to our attention I hope it was not too much of an inconvenience.I will pass on your comments about it to the accommodation team.

If you are back in Galway again we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Orlando, Florida
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,775 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Weather delays caused me to miss the original July 16 flight to Ireland, to meet up with a guided tour group. Arriving the next day after the group had left for a daylong excursion, I was left to my own devices. I arrived at Menlo Park Hotel (adjacent to the titular park), and received a surprising welcome. Hotel staff were aware that I had missed the flight but did not know if the reason was medical or some serious injury. Everyone with whom I spoke expressed concern and welcomed me. That brightened my day! The manager had kept room 213 available for me, not knowing when I would arrive. That room has a large shower area that includes the sink. The shower has a flat but sloping floor for wheelchair access, and the shower alone is as large as some bathrooms in the US. Reminiscent of my youth in rural North Carolina, there is no closet, but instead a wardrobe—an upright piece of furniture used for hanging clothes and storing luggage.

Menlo Park Hotel is a 70-room, 3-story Tudor style constructed 60 years ago, but has undergone an extreme makeover to provide a 5-Star effect for this conference hotel. The favorite drink at Bar Beoga is a pint of Guinness stout, a beer dark as espresso with café-au-lait-colored foam that must breathe before more beer fills the pint-size glass and served. The cost is 4.1 euros, about $5.60, but subtracting a 23 percent VAT [Value Added Tax, or consumption tax] makes for a price comparable to a 16-ounce beer at a bar in the US. Think of it as a sales tax, or the government taking three eggs out of each dozen carton you buy. So much for Congress wanting to tax Americans more! Thus a meal that costs ten euros is really seven. The phenomenal restaurant where the tour group pigged out on an endless variety is Bia Beo, which is appropriately translated from the Irish language to mean “Lovely Food.”

“Lovely Food” and spacious, clean rooms that offer excellent sleep quality aside, Menlo Park Hotel offers something that can’t be found on its website, MenloParkHotel.com. That feature is a friendly, helpful staff that genuinely cares for travel weary guests and conference attendees. The restaurant manager provided an exquisite meal at no cost on my second day, as I had missed the Welcome Dinner for the tour group of 40 members. Few hotels in the States express this generosity and caring for guests. Way to go, Menlo Park!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank DeanMurphy2020
Dear DeanMurphy2020,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our hotel following your recent stay with us at the Menlo Park Hotel.

I am absolutely delighted to read your review and find you were satisfied with each aspect of our hotel from staff, to the hotels facilities and services to the bedroom. I am thrilled that all staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. I am glad to see that you were accommodated on the second night in the restaurant after missing the group dinner and were happy with the selection and quality of food.

I have passed on your very kind and lovely comments to all the team.

We would love to welcome you back in the near future if you decide to visit Galway again.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I chose the Menlo Park based on the Trip Advisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. I booked a smoking-free room and I arrived around 8pm. Check-in was smooth and helpful; I ate in the bar and found the level of service and quality of food to be first class. The room was faultless: comfortable bed, good space in the room with tea/coffee/hairdryer and good telly, walk-in shower (see pictures). Breakfast was the standard hot buffet: one minus here was that porridge wasn't on: just the usual cardboard cereals. Fruit selection was okay. The helpful reception staff provided me with a sketch-map with directions to get to that day's destination in the City Centre. The location was quiet and there appeared to be a shopping centre within walking distance. Another guest told me he'd walked in to the City Centre in 20 minutes at a leisurely pace. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or family visit to Galway.

Room Tip: You can book no smokin rooms. Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMMGalway, Guest Relations Manager at Menlo Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear virtual-inspector,

Thank you for taking the time to review us following you recent stay with us at the Menlo Park hotel. I am so glad to read you had a very enjoyable experience and were not disappointed after choosing us based on other trip advisor reviews.

I am delighted you were happy with our service, that the receptionists could help you to find your way into and around Galway city and you were happy with our food, both our bar food and breakfast. We do provide a selection of cereals on the buffet such as Cornflakes, Weetabix, Muesli etc but while porridge is not on the buffet we do offer this on our breakfast menus.
I am very happy you found your room to be faultless and the location of the hotel to be ideal for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.